• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amid reports of homelessness and food insecurity, 25,000 employees sue Disneyland for better pay

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Find another job if you do not like the pay or working conditions. While Disney might be under a moral obligation to pay their employees a higher wage I do not see a Legal Obligation. This situation is one reason there should be Legislation to limit a Company's/Corporation's Officers, Directors, etc from earning more than 100X's why the lowest employee earns.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a judge will have to rule whether there is a legal obligation......seems to me on the surface that the county and Disney are pulling some legalese to avoid some of the obligations of $$ for the garage while reaping the $$ benefits at a cost to employees.....This is a company that could easily "do the right thing" by it's employees...be an example of the happiest place to visit as well as the happiest place to work (for it's employees) - it always makes me angry when I hear/find companies "contracting" and shorting its workers when their profits are enormous (eg Nabisco/Disney) and CEOs earn 100x a regular employee's wage.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the median income / salary for workers in this industry in this metropolitan SMA area ?

Is Disney paying less than the median/salary for workers in this industry in this metropolitan SMA area ?

That I feel will be a key issue and the starting point. IMHO.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
What is the median income / salary for workers in this industry in this metropolitan SMA area ?

Is Disney paying less than the median/salary for workers in this industry in this metropolitan SMA area ?

That I feel will be a key issue and the starting point. IMHO.
It's sometimes not the pay, but how they classify the worker. Contractor, part-time ... hours and benefits?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's sometimes not the pay, but how they classify the worker. Contractor, part-time ... hours and benefits?
I understand your post. Contractor workers in this industry are paid less; mainly hourly workers working less than 32 hours per week; with no benefits package (no retirement plan, no vacation pay and no health benefits)..IMHO

Workers working less than 32 hours per week or 120 hours per month are not eligble for employer benefits in most states. IMHO

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's really about whether or not they've taken taxpayer subsidies, and its clear that the public investment in the parking garage has acted like a de facto public subsidy. So, they have to abide by the living wage laws. And, yes, this is not a good look for the Disney brand.

geekette

Reaction score
I understand your post. Contractor workers in this industry are paid less; mainly hourly workers working less than 32 hours per week; with no benefits package (no retirement plan, no vacation pay and no health benefits)..IMHO

Workers working less than 32 hours per week or 120 hours per month are not eligble for employer benefits in most states. IMHO
I don’t think that’s a state thing but an employer thing. It has varied among employers in same state.

geekette

Reaction score
It's really about whether or not they've taken taxpayer subsidies, and its clear that the public investment in the parking garage has acted like a de facto public subsidy. So, they have to abide by the living wage laws. And, yes, this is not a good look for the Disney brand.
No not a good look. Wasn’t that long ago that one of the Dis family complained publicly about the issue.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't think they really care about if it is a good look.

geekette

Reaction score
True. It's all about money, like most everything else... everywhere else....

I couldn't imagine suing my employer on a salary issue. I'd simply quit. If I took the job at X pay, then, I agreed to it. I can change my mind and leave.

While people will work for low wages, companies will pay low wages. Nobody needs Disney on their resume enough to endure poverty.

Reactions: RX8

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
True. It's all about money, like most everything else... everywhere else....

I couldn't imagine suing my employer on a salary issue. I'd simply quit. If I took the job at X pay, then, I agreed to it. I can change my mind and leave.

While people will work for low wages, companies will pay low wages. Nobody needs Disney on their resume enough to endure poverty.
Something we agree on. Not worth the fight as even if you win not much different.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
They didnt care about the optics of bringing in foreign worker visas to replace their IT staff at lower salaries, then forcing the laid off staff to train their replacements or lose severance, so i doubt they care about the optics of this lawsuit.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney has to be one of the worst companies to work for. I have two examples from personal experience.

1- My wife's neighbor's dream was to be a disney artist. He went to school, interned through Disney and became an artist at Disney. During the 90's they offshored his work and fired everybody - he lost his job.

2- 2 people who worked for me had friends who worked in accounting at Marvel Comics. They were happy at their jobs. Once Disney bought Marvel the atmosphere changed dramatically, they were asked to work longer hours and do more. Any socialization at work was not tolerated. The previously happy employees became unhappy and left.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The new boss for Disney will be interesting?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney has to be one of the worst companies to work for. I have two examples from personal experience.

1- My wife's neighbor's dream was to be a disney artist. He went to school, interned through Disney and became an artist at Disney. During the 90's they offshored his work and fired everybody - he lost his job.

2- 2 people who worked for me had friends who worked in accounting at Marvel Comics. They were happy at their jobs. Once Disney bought Marvel the atmosphere changed dramatically, they were asked to work longer hours and do more. Any socialization at work was not tolerated. The previously happy employees became unhappy and left.
Is this how the Walt Disney family treated their employees ?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
The new boss for Disney will be interesting?
No really, they all kowtow to shareholder value to which their compensation is derived.
Meet the new boss - Same as the old boss - We won't get fooled again:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I've never understood this new concept that EVERY job, whether flipping burgers or sweeping at Fantasyland has to support an entire family of 4.

When I was young, many jobs were considered entry level, and primarily taken by kids in school or others new to the workforce. People learning "to work." They then moved up in the ranks or found a better paying job.

Now people expect every job to support an entire family, or it's not a "living wage."

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never understood this new concept that EVERY job, whether flipping burgers or sweeping at Fantasyland has to support an entire family of 4.
Totally agree. An associate of mine used to say. "People want to get paid college wages for high school work." The shortage of labor in the restaurant industry is causing the employers to make starting salaries higher. Supply and demand should regulate the wage market. Here we have lawyers and unions trying to assert their influence on the marketplace to accomplish their own goals. And, if they succeed, remember that the next time you complain about how expensive 'The Mouse" is.

Reactions: RX8

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

When I was young, many jobs were considered entry level, and primarily taken by kids in school or others new to the workforce. People learning "to work." They then moved up in the ranks or found a better paying job.

Now people expect every job to support an entire family, or it's not a "living wage."

Absolutely. When I was a kid earning minimum wage for hard labor intensive jobs, it only pushed me to get an education so that I could earn more money using my brain, rather than my back.

I earned minimum wage from age 13 to around age 17. I was earning $3.50/hr in 1987 working in KFC and it sucked! Within a few years during college I was already making $7.5/hr by Sophmore year and maxed out at $12/hr as a senior. Sadly my first full time professional job only paid around $13.40/hr, but I doubled that within 5 years. So on and so on.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Family? They are a big corporation.

I dont think the family are involved with the running of the business these days.

I think what Pedro means is would Walt and Roy have run things this way.

It does seemed like Walt did like his money back in the day. I don't know how DLand employees were compensated in the 60s, but I can say that this trend of minimum wages workers feeling entitled to big money is fairly recent.

I don't believe Walt would have undermined his IT staff for cheaper imports, but we can never know for certain.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what Pedro means is would Walt and Roy have run things this way.

It does seemed like Walt did like his money back in the day. I don't know how DLand employees were compensated in the 60s, but I can say that this trend of minimum wages workers feeling entitled to big money is fairly recent.

I don't believe Walt would have undermined his IT staff for cheaper imports, but we can never know for certain.

Obviously, who knows?

However, in my experience, people who started out poor and earned what they have are generally more generous to others. People who are born to wealth are usually very tight with money for others.

I believe that Disney grew up poor/lower middle class.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. An associate of mine used to say. "People want to get paid college wages for high school work." The shortage of labor in the restaurant industry is causing the employers to make starting salaries higher. Supply and demand should regulate the wage market. Here we have lawyers and unions trying to assert their influence on the marketplace to accomplish their own goals. And, if they succeed, remember that the next time you complain about how expensive 'The Mouse" is.
Supply & Demand Theory. Is this why every major league players in baseball, hockry, tennis, football, golf & basketball average salaries are more than most college gradutes. LOL.:confused:o_O

How many major league players have a college degree?????

What % have a college degree????

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

Actually it will lead to automation in the long run. Especially for simple tasks that can be handled by a computer. I am sure that within 5 years, all counter service restaurants will become kiosk or phone ordering if it already hasn't. Get rid of all the cashiers. McDonalds is doing it all over NYC.

Flippy the burger flipping and fry cooking robot is coming to a fast food joint by you. He never calls in sicks, ad never complains about his hours or pay.

Why do you think that Uber and all those services are pushing to develop self driving cars - they dont want to deal with the drivers who now want benefits and health care.

You will see it everywhere in 10 years. Labor Shortage - not anymore.
Joe