• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Aspire

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH just cancelled his HH Surpass so he can be a "free agent" on bonus offers.
I don't think you need to cancel to get this bonus offer. The Aspire will be a different product and if you are credit worthy you should be approved and get the bonus. OTOH, if you have the Surpass you will most likely not be able to get a bonus for the Ascend because most likely these two cards will be considered to be the same product subject to the lifetime bonus per product limitation.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that the charges must be attached to a room charge. See article below by DrofCredit.com.

I know that charges at HHV Starbucks in Kalia, restaurants, some activities and even Beni Hana can be billed to your HGVC room. I know this worked last summer for an AMEX offer of $200 off $1000 in Hilton Hawaii charges booked to our HGVC room. However process may have changed since then.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...view-450-annual-fee/#250_Hilton_Resort_Credit

View attachment 5400
This is pretty useful.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I don't think you need to cancel to get this bonus offer. The Aspire will be a different product and if you are credit worthy you should be approved and get the bonus. OTOH, if you have the Surpass you will most likely not be able to get a bonus for the Ascend because most likely these two cards will be considered to be the same product subject to the lifetime bonus per product limitation.

You are correct. We are clearing the decks to lower our annual fee burden and make way for new card offers. :) I will also be cancelling my existing Surpass/Ascend card because I will have 2 after the Citi Honors transition to Ascend. Hope they provide an upgrade offer.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
It appears that the charges must be attached to a room charge. See article below by DrofCredit.com.

I know that charges at HHV Starbucks in Kalia, restaurants, some activities and even Beni Hana can be billed to your HGVC room. I know this worked last summer for an AMEX offer of $200 off $1000 in Hilton Hawaii charges booked to our HGVC room. However process may have changed since then.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...view-450-annual-fee/#250_Hilton_Resort_Credit

View attachment 5400

I Just did some interesting trial bookings on both Hilton.com and then Hilton.com/resorts for the same dates. On Hilton.com I could book the HGVC RESORTS at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. On Hilton.com/resorts I could only book the HOTELS at the Hilton Hawaii Village. From that trial I believe that you could only use the $250 at the HOTELS of the Hilton Hawaiian Village not the HGVC RESORTS. For the purposes of the Aspire Card $250 Resort Credit is only good at what they define as HILTON RESORT BUILDINGS which does NOT include HGVC BUILDINGS.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I Just did some interesting trial bookings on both Hilton.com and then Hilton.com/resorts for the same dates. On Hilton.com I could book the HGVC RESORTS at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. On Hilton.com/resorts I could only book the HOTELS at the Hilton Hawaii Village. From that trial I believe that you could only use the $250 at the HOTELS of the Hilton Hawaiian Village not the HGVC RESORTS. For the purposes of the Aspire Card $250 Resort Credit is only good at what they define as HILTON RESORT BUILDINGS which does NOT include HGVC BUILDINGS.

That makes sense to me. The card does not seem as benefit rich to me as i first thought. I don't think i will ever be able to use airline incidental credit. Even though I do stay stay at some of the resorts or Waldorf Astoria properties, its not every year.

Since I already have Diamond status for 2018, i will probably wait until next year to consider this card. In the meantime i will wait to hear about other experiences with this card, and also see if Marriott comes out with premium card. I don't want to many big dollar annual fees to cover.

I will of course double check the offers and final details once this card launch next week.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
That makes sense to me. The card does not seem as benefit rich to me as i first thought. I don't think i will ever be able to use airline incidental credit. Even though I do stay stay at some of the resorts or Waldorf Astoria properties, its not every year.

Since I already have Diamond status for 2018, i will probably wait until next year to consider this card. In the meantime i will wait to hear about other experiences with this card, and also see if Marriott comes out with premium card. I don't want to many big dollar annual fees to cover.

I will of course double check the offers and final details once this card launch next week.

When I ran the numbers counting the resort credit, airline credit, extra HH points, and the free weekend night it certainly did make sense for me to get it. However, if the resort credit did not include HGVC timeshare stays that may make it not worth it. We could use the $250 airline credit for Hawaiian Airlines baggage fees. The weekend night has a variable worth. We usually don't stay in Hilton Hotels that often since we mainly stay in timeshare. When we do we often stay in a Hilton Hotel that only costs about $150/night so that is not a great savings. As long as we can get 14 points/dollar on HGVC annual maintenance that is a consistent but small savings above the 12 points/dollar of the Surpass Card.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am on the same boat. We’ll wait to see the final details since I have my surpass paid through October and have Diamond this year. The Marriott is also interesting to me but will depend on perks (I have SPG/Marriott through Timeshare Status).

If only the resort credit kicked in without a stay...I know I will stay at several of those resorts but not sure I would do it consistently...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I still believe that restaurants, spa etc placed on an HGVC room might work because AMEX offers for HHV work. Would love to see someone try this with a bag of Doritos on this card. Technically you are spending at the resort even if the room fee is zero because of timeshare.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I still believe that restaurants, spa etc placed on an HGVC room might work because AMEX offers for HHV work. Would love to see someone try this with a bag of Doritos on this card. Technically you are spending at the resort even if the room fee is zero because of timeshare.

I would have thought the same thing you do if I didn't see that Hilton.com/resorts did not list HGVC accommodations. Furthermore, if you stay at one of the resorts that are listed on Hilton.com/resorts and use Hilton Honors Points your room fee would also be zero, but I believe you could use your Aspire card resort credit. We will have to wait and see what someone who gets the card reports. For now I am not getting the card.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have thought the same thing you do if I didn't see that Hilton.com/resorts did not list HGVC accommodations. Furthermore, if you stay at one of the resorts that are listed on Hilton.com/resorts and use Hilton Honors Points your room fee would also be zero, but I believe you could use your Aspire card resort credit. We will have to wait and see what someone who gets the card reports. For now I am not getting the card.
I think the issue here would be that the timeshare property is not in the resort list so the charge would not show in a resort statement. If you buy food and are not staying at the resort the charge again will not show in a resort statement.

My interpretation is that the charge needs to be shown in a resort stamen at checkout, hopefully I am wrong. Otherwise, the value of the resort credit is limited for me. I do have a couple of resort stays this year, but who knows what other years may bring.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am going to wait and see as well. We just finished with our AF for our two Chase Reserve cards. Glad these $450 fees come at the same time as our maintenance fee travel credits.

Not sure if the travel credit would be useful either. We don't travel much on anything except SWA and Alaska these days. We are even planning two cross country trips with SWA non-stops to ATL and EWR. When SWA starts Hawaii we will be flying SWA even more because we have the companion pass. My DH is close to the million miler benefit on UAL so we put him on that when possible, however there may not be any benefit by the time he gets there. The big 3 american air carriers are like frogs boiling a slow death in a pot as their previously loyal customers opt for better benefits elsewhere.

Does anyone know if the airline travel fees on this card would apply to Early Bird seating on Southwest? That might be useful.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the airline travel fees on this card would apply to Early Bird seating on Southwest? That might be useful.
I would imagine it should work. I have the Plat and Biz Plat and they work with American for seat assignments. The credit for those is $200. You need to make sure you select your airline and that gets locked for a year. Some are able to get CSR to change their airlines, YMMV.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I am doubtful that would work, as the charge being processed by Amex is from the HGVC resort, not the Hilton Hotel. I don't think the credit card processing network passes the breakdown of charges back to Amex.

We also made use of the Hilton / Amex promo for Hawaii several times over the years. I think that worked because the promos did not require a specific resort, just a Hilton in Hawaii.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FYI...Received new Ascend card to replace my Citi HHonors card yesterday. Will need to keep in order to get anniversary free night that was earned with the Citi Card. Haven't received the Ascend replacement to my existing Surpass card yet. Hope they offer me a nice downgrade to non-Hilton free card or upgrade to Aspire or new Marriott card. Alternatively will cancel and try for a bonus offer because I don't need two cards.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like the bonus is only 100,000. I was expecting more considering the devalued state of HHonors points.

Is it worth it?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It seems that free night certs are worth more than points unless you plan to split the points to use for multiple nights at lower value Hamptons.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're averaging .5 cents per point, then that 100,000 points should be worth around $500 -- a little underwhelming, if you ask me for a $450 annual fee.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you're averaging .5 cents per point, then that 100,000 points should be worth around $500 -- a little underwhelming, if you ask me for a $450 annual fee.

I would agree that the 100,000 bonus points in underwhelming if you didn't get other perks with usage. The $250 Airline Credit that can be used for luggage, The annual free night after $15,000 in spending, The extra 2 points per dollar for Hilton spending, adds up to a little over $450. However, since they will not allow the $250 Resort Credit at HGVC resorts it doesn't justify it for us since we mostly stay and spend at HGVC resorts.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The annual free night after $15,000 in spending, The extra 2 points per dollar for Hilton spending, adds up to a little over $450. However, since they will not allow the $250 Resort Credit at HGVC resorts it doesn't justify it for us since we mostly stay and spend at HGVC resorts.

Am I missing something? The Aspire Amex page says:

TWO WEEKEND NIGHT REWARDS
Enjoy one weekend night reward with your new Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card and every year after renewal.
Plus, earn an additional night after you spend $60,000 on purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

So, I don't think you need to spend $15K to get the night cert, you get it every anniversary...And, you get a separate cert if you spend $60K.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, after digging deeper...

Annual Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors
During each year of your Card Membership, you will receive one Annual Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors. The Annual Weekend Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the reward email within 8-14 weeks after opening your Card Account and each year within 8-14 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
CSR is a superior card hands down to the Hilton. We like it for the medical evacuation benefit which I don't believe the Hilton card offers.

FYI we just paid part of our maintenance fees for W57 and it counted as 3x lodging for CSR

I like CSR. I have CSR and Amex Platinum. mrs. brp just got the free Amex and will swap this for Aspire so that we have all bases covered.

Cheers.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct. We are clearing the decks to lower our annual fee burden and make way for new card offers. :) I will also be cancelling my existing Surpass/Ascend card because I will have 2 after the Citi Honors transition to Ascend. Hope they provide an upgrade offer.
As a follow up to this, it seems the Ascend may be considered as a the same product as the Aspire. My Surpass has been converted to Aspire and I am being offered an upgrade option to Ascend without a sign in bonus...:mad:

My wife, who is an AU in the Aspire, can get the bonus...:D

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like CSR. I have CSR and Amex Platinum. mrs. brp just got the free Amex and will swap this for Aspire so that we have all bases covered.

Cheers.
CSR is definitely the best CC for travel purchases and for its liberal way to assign 3x to several categories.

But, the Amex Plat (and even the Amex Plat Biz) and the Citi Prestige have also sweet spots if you want to maximize benefits like 5x on airfare, 1.5x on purchases that are >$5K, or 4th night free...

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I just signed up for the American Express Hilton Honors "Aspire" Card on the AX website. I'm canceling the "Ascend" card that they sent me to replace my Hilton Honors Visa card as soon as that can be done, which is Jan 30.

Annual fee for the Ascend is $95. For the Aspire it is $495. So, it's costing an extra $400.

However, it automatically gives you Hilton Diamond status. That means Diamond perks (for me, guaranteed room as long as you reserve 48 hrs ahead is a big one, plus automatic room upgrades), plus all Hilton hotel reservations are worth 29 Hilton Honor pts per dollar, because you get 14x for using the card, and 15x for being Diamond. I stay in Hilton's perhaps 30-40 nights a year (lots of Embassy Suites when I'm on the road <g>). At $300/nt x 29, that's > 300,000 HH points. Easily worth 3+ free nights. 7x HH pts for airlines, rental cars and restaurants.

You also get $250 credit for charges at Hilton resorts, which includes food and anything else that is charged to the room, and includes the Hilton Hawaiian Village restaurants and shops -- where I have two timeshares. One weekend night for free (a 2nd if you spend $60k). And, the $250 airline credit for things like baggage fees, or, for Southwest, for the $15/flight extra charge for early check-in.

Bottom line, the card pays for itself many times over.