• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Travelers Are About to Be Pariahs in This New World

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Brian, I don't dress like that but trust me I don't dress at all like the average American traveler;)
LOVED the pic!!! AAHHHH, BAVARIA!! BAYERN !!! Looks like I'll be seeing you in my dreams awhile longer

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Parts of the US are banning Americans due to COVID-19 so what’s the big deal if the EU does?

This to shall pass.

I am starting to think I chose wrong when my DH asked me ....a new kitchen or travel once we retire in November. I chose travel of course. Ugh

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Parts of the US are banning Americans due to COVID-19 so what’s the big deal if the EU does?

This to shall pass.

I am starting to think I chose wrong when my DH asked me ....a new kitchen or travel once we retire in November. I chose travel of course. Ugh
Well, parts of the US aren't baning other Americans. Just requiring quarantine. Of course, I don't have any issue if the EU wants to prevent American's from traveling there, but they also shouldn't have complained when we did the same early on with China and Europe. It was wrong to ban travel then but it isn't now?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Well, parts of the US aren't baning other Americans. Just requiring quarantine. Of course, I don't have any issue if the EU wants to prevent American's from traveling there, but they also shouldn't have complained when we did the same early on with China and Europe. It was wrong to ban travel then but it isn't now?
I totally agree. A travel ban on either side is fine.

Your right about the quarantine as well but the quarantine does make travel very limited without a full on ban for the majority. Also fine in my book.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Caribbean Cruise Line is now called Royal Caribbean Group effective now,.

ride2slide

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every country has a right to ban whoever they want. But many countries in Europe have a higher death rate than the USA. Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK, France, Sweden and the Netherlands are all higher than the USA on a per capital basis. Switzerland is almost as high. I assume the bans will be reciprocal.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
San Marino643+541161441218,9501,2083,20194,339
Belgium53,981+2028,843+8213,93731,2014204,658763605,23752,222
Andorra760+249+157613539,8366341,67321,653
Spain271,095+1,57527,104+184183,22760,7641,5345,7985802,467,76152,781
Italy222,104+88831,106+195112,54178,4578933,6735142,735,62845,246
UK229,705+3,24233,186+494N/A196,1751,5593,3844892,094,20930,849
France178,22526,99157,78593,4492,5422,7304141,384,63321,213
Sint Maarten7615461571,7733503297,673
Sweden27,909+6373,460+1474,97119,4783512,763343177,50017,576
Netherlands43,211+2275,562+52N/A37,3994322,522325275,72016,091
Ireland23,2421,48817,1104,644724,707301258,80852,414
Isle of Man332+12327237203,9042703,91246,006
USA1,413,630+4,99483,745+320299,0081,030,87716,4734,2712539,985,94230,169
Channel Islands54742455503,1462425,34230,725
Switzerland30,413+331,870+326,8001,743793,514216322,08437,215
These numbers are misleading in the scheme of things. Most of those countries maps could fit inside the map of the US. So, if they were added together, you would see the US doesn't actually have as high of numbers, as it appears on this chart. For instance. all of the UK could fit into the boundaries of the state of KY.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
These numbers are misleading in the scheme of things. Most of those countries maps could fit inside the map of the US. So, if they were added together, you would see the US doesn't actually have as high of numbers, as it appears on this chart. For instance. all of the UK could fit into the boundaries of the state of KY.

That is true. We should really be comparing the EU to the USA. The US is one of the largest countries in the world.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many countries have had travel restrictions. Referring to any country (or its citizens) as pariah is terrible and may reflect more on the author than on what the Europeans believe about the Americans. Worse, she is an American and a CNN contributor.

From the WSJ:
The word "pariah" originally comes from "Paraiyar," the name of a low caste in southern India. Scholars of Indian languages trace "Paraiyar" back to the Tamil word for drum, "parai." Traditionally, members of the caste had a ritual duty to beat the drums at festivals, since the leather used for the drums was considered unclean and thus unfit for higher-caste Hindus to touch.
Many in the Paraiyar caste also ended up working as servants for British colonists, and through this contact, the name of the caste became Anglicized as "paria" or "pariah." Its meaning expanded imprecisely to cover all the lower castes, as well as "outcastes" or "untouchables."

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Other countries never liked Americans. It has been even worse since 2016. Covid just gives them an excuse to ban us. We deserve it after the way we have treated other countries.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Other countries never liked Americans.

Right up until they need us (again). Or our money. Or both.
Which they always seem to do.

It has been even worse since 2016.

Oh wow, the return of OMB syndrome.
Look, I understand some people don't like the POTUS. That's fine. But to constantly rip on this country long ago got old. And to continue it in the manner chosen only serves to further the (rapidly growing) divide in this country.

Work toward identifying a nominee that can win the election in 2020. But the left will be owning the slash and burn tactics they have employed...and those tactics have a high cost (as we are seeing).

Covid just gives them an excuse to ban us. We deserve it after the way we have treated other countries.

Since it began its existence, the United States (while not perfect by any stretch) has saved more countries and more people than any other country.

From former Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (among other roles) Colin Powell (comment below made in 2003 and is just as applicable today):
...“We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and we’ve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in, and otherwise we have returned home to seek our own, you know, to seek our own lives in peace, to live our own lives in peace. But there comes a time when soft power or talking with evil will not work where, unfortunately, hard power is the only thing that works.”

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other countries never liked Americans. It has been even worse since 2016. Covid just gives them an excuse to ban us. We deserve it after the way we have treated other countries.
Many view other countries through their political lenses (Pew research). Age, sex and race also play a role. Europe is generally more to the left than the US and a change at the top has changed how favorable they see the US (Pew research) and this is not the first time around. At the same time we have to make a distinction between how favorable is their view about America and how they see the Americans let alone how they treat Americans tourists when they meet or guest them. We have been to Europe every year (except this one!), I have never met an American after 2016 complaining about how he was treated there.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many view other countries through their political lenses (Pew research). Age, sex and race also play a role. Europe is generally more to the left than the US and a change at the top has changed how favorable they see the US (Pew research) and this is not the first time around. At the same time we have to make a distinction between how favorable is their view about America and how they see the Americans let alone how they treat Americans tourists when they meet or guest them. We have been to Europe every year (except this one!), I have never met an American after 2016 complaining about how he was treated there.
It depend upon how an individual behaves and presents themselves. I have traveled to many countries studied as an exchange student and now retired here. It's always a mixed bag as some people have their own notions of Americans. I try to represent myself and country and explain the many nuances Europeans may not understand or be familiar with. Overall, I feel very welcome and it hasnt depended on whose in office. Europeans are very interested in US politics and like to discuss . I cant say I know so much about EU politics in comparison. I feel people here are quite sad and upset about the ban as it affects the tourism greatly. They are anxious of when travel will be lifted.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@nerodog When my daughter was an exchange student she was taken aback by how openly the Swiss talk about politics and offer their opinions on it.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
@nerodog When my daughter was an exchange student she was taken aback by how openly the Swiss talk about politics and offer their opinions on it.
Yes I agree... I was also quite amazed at the level of sophistication at such a young age. Its definitely a hot topic and I notice it here even taking a taxi...the conversation turns to politics!!!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It depend upon how an individual behaves and presents themselves. I have traveled to many countries studied as an exchange student and now retired here. It's always a mixed bag as some people have their own notions of Americans. I try to represent myself and country and explain the many nuances Europeans may not understand or be familiar with. Overall, I feel very welcome and it hasnt depended on whose in office. Europeans are very interested in US politics and like to discuss . I cant say I know so much about EU politics in comparison. I feel people here are quite sad and upset about the ban as it affects the tourism greatly. They are anxious of when travel will be lifted.
We are no experts for sure, but we are polite guests (tourists). We try to stay at B&B's in Europe and have definitely had some interesting conversations that here in the US would be considered rude, but appeared to be perfectly normal to our hosts/fellow guests. When in Rome, and all that - we just listen for the most part and contribute when we feel the need. One memorable conversation happened at a table in Rothenburg. We were seated with a man who was backpacking across Bavaria because he had read an article about an American man who backpacked from Canada to Mexico on the Continental Divide Trail. I had recently read the same article so there was a lot of common ground (lol punny) there. Eventually we started discussing the US because in the past he worked for Proctor & Gamble. Then it got interesting. The next 5 - 10 minutes were his opinion of Americans. The main thing that I remember is how fat he thought we were. He gave all kind of examples - fat Americans at the zoo, fat Americans at restaurants. I didn't feel that he thought he was being critical - he thought he was being observant. I was uncomfortable but he wasn't. (Btw this was not directed at us personally).

In France this last year, two of our guides (D-Day, Paris walking tour) were very well versed in the current political climate in our country and discussed it freely. It is such a no-no in the US, but completely acceptable in Europe that we almost expect it. But there is almost always a distinction between our government and our citizens. I can live with that and admire their ability to make the distinction.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree... I was also quite amazed at the level of sophistication at such a young age. Its definitely a hot topic and I notice it here even taking a taxi...the conversation turns to politics!!!
Money, too. She picked up that they are completely comfortable and asking about their salaries.

I’m so glad she has this experience, despite being cut so short by “the virus”.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Money, too. She picked up that they are completely comfortable and asking about their salaries.

I’m so glad she has this experience, despite being cut so short by “the virus”.
Also how much they pay for different things: car, house, renovations etc. My wife finds that very awkward, she does not discuss this kind of details even with her best friends. If I do it, she always gives me the look.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
. Overall, I feel very welcome and it hasnt depended on whose in office.
We've been traveling in Europe for over 20 years and only a couple of times have felt unwelcome. I will say that prior to 2016, we'd not heard a word about the politics of our country but our b&b hostesses in Italy and France did bring up our current president with totally opposite takes on the man.
. The next 5 - 10 minutes were his opinion of Americans. The main thing that I remember is how fat he thought we were. He gave all kind of examples - fat Americans at the zoo, fat Americans at restaurants. I didn't feel that he thought he was being critical - he thought he was being observant. I was uncomfortable but he wasn't. (Btw this was not directed at us personally).
When my DH & I met a very distant cousin in Metz France this past November, he told us he expected that we'd be fat! We, along with our daughter & her DH, had planned to meet up with him and his wife at their apartment outside Paris, but alas....

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes in traveling in Europe, European only chance to see American in action are by watching movies, Ameican tourists and television shows. They never get a chance to meet the average American citizens. We are all not fat and rich or drug dealers or addicts. We do not all have luxury autos and homes or ugly personalities.

These are the images, Europeans see Americans on television and in movies.. IMHO.

We love Paris, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and England.
Turkey and Egypt are not our favor countries to visit any more.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are no experts for sure, but we are polite guests (tourists). We try to stay at B&B's in Europe and have definitely had some interesting conversations that here in the US would be considered rude, but appeared to be perfectly normal to our hosts/fellow guests. When in Rome, and all that - we just listen for the most part and contribute when we feel the need. One memorable conversation happened at a table in Rothenburg. We were seated with a man who was backpacking across Bavaria because he had read an article about an American man who backpacked from Canada to Mexico on the Continental Divide Trail. I had recently read the same article so there was a lot of common ground (lol punny) there. Eventually we started discussing the US because in the past he worked for Proctor & Gamble. Then it got interesting. The next 5 - 10 minutes were his opinion of Americans. The main thing that I remember is how fat he thought we were. He gave all kind of examples - fat Americans at the zoo, fat Americans at restaurants. I didn't feel that he thought he was being critical - he thought he was being observant. I was uncomfortable but he wasn't. (Btw this was not directed at us personally).

In France this last year, two of our guides (D-Day, Paris walking tour) were very well versed in the current political climate in our country and discussed it freely. It is such a no-no in the US, but completely acceptable in Europe that we almost expect it. But there is almost always a distinction between our government and our citizens. I can live with that and admire their ability to make the distinction.
In my experience, Europeans freely discuss our politics because ultimately they wi be affected. I always find when they know I'm American, they want me to weigh in
.no pun intended.. with regard to obesity..well I find people walk a lot more here and sidewalks are more readily available. In the US, my street didn't have a sidewalk... it's an observation and I think that guy could be offensive considering he doesnt even know you to discuss this!!!! :)
We are bigger people... diet, Gene's, lifestyle etc. One thing I find more apparent here is smoking. Much more of it...

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
In the times I've traveled and lived abroad, I've found everyone I met much more knowledgeable and aware of current events than those I know at home. They also respect the news and listen regularly (even in taxis, the driver often turns on the news at the top of the hour to hear the latest).

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the times I've traveled and lived abroad, I've found everyone I met much more knowledgeable and aware of current events than those I know at home. They also respect the news and listen regularly (even in taxis, the driver often turns on the news at the top of the hour to hear the latest).
Been my experience as well .:)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Likewise, my experience as well.