• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol Top 13: Anybody ready to place a bet?

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt I'll ever forget Simon's frequent pronouncements that "this is a SINGING competition," complete with his voice and delivery of course.

Thing is, he was always wrong about that. Someone said, "It's not a singing competition; it's a voting competition." I think it was Clive Davis. And HE was right.

Hugs for everyone. I love getting disagreed with here, it's our differences that make us fun to be around.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thing is, he was always wrong about that. Someone said, "It's not a singing competition; it's a voting competition." I think it was Clive Davis. And HE was right.

Actually they're BOTH right. It is a voting competition based on who the audience believes is the best singer. And it is a pretty accurate method of doing things.

After AI is over, their careers are measured on album sales... which becomes the next way of public voting.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually they're BOTH right. It is a voting competition based on who the audience believes is the best singer. And it is a pretty accurate method of doing things.

After AI is over, their careers are measured on album sales... which becomes the next way of public voting.
I've sometimes wondered how much the voting results are skewed by blocs such as "vote for the worst" as well as from the hometown crowd. When I see on the local news "voting parties" for the local favorite, I wonder why they are voting hundreds of times. Is it because they actually think the local guy/gal is the best or just to show hometime pride? And how much, if at all, does that skew the final result? Are there enough national voters who aren't affiliated with any of the contestants to overcome the massive local votes? I suppose I'll never know.

While singing is a large part of it, I do think that in the end, people vote for the "package" they like best. And that perceived package may not be accurately reflective of the winner's vocal talent as it includes looks, charisma, and other things having nothing to do with singing. Remember Doolittle? She had the best vocal talent but lost.

I agree that album sales are the true litmus test of the real winners, not those who were given the title.

Last edited:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the hometown blocks, but the VFTW crowd themselves consider their influence insignificant; there are only a few hundred hardcore followers there, if that. They just like to have their own brand of fun with the show. It's kind of idiotic and mean spirited to me, but it's totally harmless at the same time. It's just part of the internet.

A few seasons ago I tried watching it their way, but I like the show straight up better. There are some things about it that frustrate the heck out of me, but there are also some things I really admire. And the admirable things outweigh the frustrating things (so far, anyhow).

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm looking forward to the shows on Tuesday and Wednesday night, ....
That's right! AI is tonight, Tuesday. Thanks for the reminder.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the hometown blocks, but the VFTW crowd themselves consider their influence insignificant; there are only a few hundred hardcore followers there, if that. They just like to have their own brand of fun with the show. It's kind of idiotic and mean spirited to me, but it's totally harmless at the same time. It's just part of the internet.
Do you think the voting is ever close enough that a few hundred people voting multiple times could change the outcome? Does AI ever post the actual results by number? I'm just curious. Generally speaking, when it comes down to the final two or three, they are pretty close in talent but I wonder if further back in the competition, someone with good talent was booted because they were edged out by the hometown or VFTW bloc. When votes are spread out over 5 or more contestants, could VFTW make a difference? I keep thinking of Doolittle and Hudson.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think the voting is ever close enough that a few hundred people voting multiple times could change the outcome? Does AI ever post the actual results by number? I'm just curious. Generally speaking, when it comes down to the final two or three, they are pretty close in talent but I wonder if further back in the competition, someone with good talent was booted because they were edged out by the hometown or VFTW bloc. When votes are spread out over 5 or more contestants, could VFTW make a difference? I keep thinking of Doolittle and Hudson.

Well, it was on Yahoo the other day, Nigel Lithgoe, (producer of AI), said that Haley had 25 million votes out of the 95 million cast. That is reportedly the only time vote totals were ever given, even in rough numbers. That's one heck of a lot of votes.... except that if the other 70 million were split evenly, she lost to each of the others by 10 million. During the David Cook/David Archuleta finale season, the vote totals weren't ever announced, but it was announced that it wasn't even close between the two, that Cook won handily. In both instances, Reinhart and Archuleta were the VFTW choices.

My guess to your question about 5 contestants is still that I think they are insignificant. They can't really vote anyone OFF. They're more like a rooting section marching to their own beat, getting people riled up on purpose. They MIGHT have kept Sanjaya around one extra week, with the help of Howard Stern's listeners, but it's not like someone who was going to win got booted instead. It was more like the order in which people were going to lose was shifted around. Maybe.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Hmmmm....what to say about tonight's show. I liked all of Lauren's numbers better. I've just gotten bored with Scotty. As I've said all along I think he'll be a big success, but I'm kind of tired of him. I think Lauren will be like many other good female singers, reasonably successful and also interchangeable.

I think two of Scotty's songs were real sleepers, and on the other hand all of Lauren's were more lively. She also may get sympathy votes and "mom" votes.

I've been calling it for Scotty all along.....but now I'm not so sure. I won't be surprised if Lauren takes it.

Got my concert tix in the mail today! :cheer: Even DH is going - and he has NEVER accompanied us to a concert.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been calling it for Scotty all along.....but now I'm not so sure. I won't be surprised if Lauren takes it.

You have nothing to worry about, Scotty has this thing made easily. The judges know this and that's why they tried to make it closer yesterday. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind.

I thought the first song by Scotty (Gone) was the number one song of the night myself, and it displayed his potential. Lauren had the better song choices, but she sounds very ordinary to me. Nothing unique about her. Likeable, but not a star. Scotty is and will be a mega-star!

:)

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Last night's show didn't impress me- except that last song which was sung by one of my favorite Idols- David Cook!

I will watch the finale tonite, but don't really care about the outcome...

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it was on Yahoo the other day, Nigel Lithgoe, (producer of AI), said that Haley had 25 million votes out of the 95 million cast. That is reportedly the only time vote totals were ever given, even in rough numbers. That's one heck of a lot of votes.... except that if the other 70 million were split evenly, she lost to each of the others by 10 million. During the David Cook/David Archuleta finale season, the vote totals weren't ever announced, but it was announced that it wasn't even close between the two, that Cook won handily. In both instances, Reinhart and Archuleta were the VFTW choices.

My guess to your question about 5 contestants is still that I think they are insignificant. They can't really vote anyone OFF. They're more like a rooting section marching to their own beat, getting people riled up on purpose. They MIGHT have kept Sanjaya around one extra week, with the help of Howard Stern's listeners, but it's not like someone who was going to win got booted instead. It was more like the order in which people were going to lose was shifted around. Maybe.
Thanks for the analysis. I found it informative and interesting.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will watch the finale tonite, but don't really care about the outcome...
That sums it up for me as well.

I liked Scotty's last number "This Big." It reminded me of when my boys were little. I think both of the original songs will chart on the country charts.

I don't know if it is my television or if it is from the AI end, but Lauren's voice got lost in the music. I could hear Scotty's voice clearly but Lauren's not so much. Hmmm...maybe it's just my ears.

When Scotty came back on stage after Lauren's last number, I could see his mouth telling her "that was beautiful."

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Scotty came back on stage after Lauren's last number, I could see his mouth telling her "that was beautiful."

Are you sure that you're weren't just analyzing his thoughts? :wave:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that you're weren't just analyzing his thoughts? :wave:
No, just seeing his lips move. If I were analyzing his thoughts I would have guessed at what he was thinking and not merely observing what he was saying. Do you seriously not see the difference?:shrug:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, just seeing his lips move. If I were analyzing his thoughts I would have guessed at what he was thinking and not merely observing what he was saying. Do you seriously not see the difference?:shrug:

Rose, never take ME seriously. Only having fun. I always enjoy what you have to say!

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rose, never take ME seriously. Only having fun. I always enjoy what you have to say!
Well then, I shall say more. :hysterical:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Scotty is and will be a mega-star!

Rick and I feel the same way about Scotty. He is never off key, and he makes it all look so easy. He is a natural, and we actually voted last night, and we have never done that before for any show. Rick feels Scotty would have made it as a star eventually without AI.

Love the show.

The Voice is kind of blah for me, apparently, because I fall asleep watching it.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that was a one hour, six song long snoozefest for me. Scotty's rendition of "Gone" was only about half as good as his first performance of it, but it was still the best performance of the show, especially his bat swing at the end. The rest of the show grazed the tops of my ears as it whizzed past my brain without registering one iota of significance.

What it felt like to me (although I don't think it is what happened) was like two poker players in the WPT showdown who have agreed to split the prize money. Both played it safe, and it sounded like they did. Of the two, I think Lauren went for it a little bit more, but it's not in her nature to go beyond her limits, and she didn't. But Scotty didn't even get near his limits, he played it 100% safe.

My prediction is Scotty, because when all else is equal the young white guy with the guitar wins. Four years running, Scotty makes five. Last one to lose was Beatbox Blake, to Jordin Sparks.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that it was a boring show. Nothing interesting or captivating. I kept waiting for one of the performances to grab my attention and it never happened. Don't really care who wins, and I almost assuredly won't be buying an album by either.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Frankly, with having it turned into Nashville Idol instead of American Idol, I doubt I will even watch the performances that I PVR's last night. Will probably PVR the finale in case there's anyone interesting that performs but not emotional investment at this point.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will the Tug Cruise have a "Tug Idol" competition? I'd pay to see that. :D

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that it was a boring show. Nothing interesting or captivating. I kept waiting for one of the performances to grab my attention and it never happened. Don't really care who wins, and I almost assuredly won't be buying an album by either.

I totally agree, and I certainly won't be buying either of their albums.

Lauren NEEDS to win in order to be relatively successful.

Scotty does NOT need to win in order to become a mega star, and will probably be more successful if he doesn't win.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a Spoiler

loved Hailey and Tony Bennett together!!!

So did I - my daughter wanted to know who the "old guy" was.
I liked the other combinations too, especially Lauren and Carrie U. - though Casey with Jack Black was just plain weird. Since Casey's weird, it was ok. (I like Casey, I really do, weird and all!.)

The ones I could live without on live prime-time TV will come as no surprise...especially Lady GagGag's simulated you-know-what with the semi-nude dancer.

I won't spoil the ending....just want to say that both kids are very talented and either way would have been ok.

It was a good season :clap:

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Lady Gaga had quite the performance too. I enjoyed all the performers and felt the final decision was the right one.

Brian