• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol 2012

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honest to goodness, this season has been a real drag, as far as I'm concerned. Not that the singers are not as good; they're probably about the same as any other year. But the production, the scripting has dropped below moronic. It's as if it is being edited for 7-year-olds. At least in the past it had good cotton candy value, like it was written to high schoolers (which I really appreciated; that's a compliment, being able to hit the spot where the most watchers can enjoy the show). And every year they make noises about bringing the performances "up to date", making them "more relevant"... and then everyone sings "Georgia On My Mind", written in 1930. Nothing wrong with a standard, but... c'mon. There are good songs being written and performed now, too.

Now I'm watching with just half an eye, half an ear. Maybe it'll catch on, but if it doesn't, oh well.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Honest to goodness, this season has been a real drag, as far as I'm concerned. Not that the singers are not as good; they're probably about the same as any other year. But the production, the scripting has dropped below moronic. It's as if it is being edited for 7-year-olds. At least in the past it had good cotton candy value, like it was written to high schoolers (which I really appreciated; that's a compliment, being able to hit the spot where the most watchers can enjoy the show). And every year they make noises about bringing the performances "up to date", making them "more relevant"... and then everyone sings "Georgia On My Mind", written in 1930. Nothing wrong with a standard, but... c'mon. There are good songs being written and performed now, too.

Now I'm watching with just half an eye, half an ear. Maybe it'll catch on, but if it doesn't, oh well.

They really dragged on the last two nights, with everyone on the hot seat. That did NOT need to take three hours.

I'd rather see more performances, less manufactured drama.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
I'd rather see more performances, less manufactured drama.

Like Randy and Jennifer acting surprised when Steven stripped down to skivvies and dove in to the Le Reve pool? All that water? Safest bet in Vegas that someone was going in.

Mike

L

laurac260

I am finding myself really liking the Korean guy. I know how to say his name, but haven't a clue how to spell it. I'm not saying he's the best singer, I just really like his personality. His singing was completely surprising, beautiful voice. He needs a speech therapist (or linguist coach?) though, not that I have a problem with him dropping letter sounds as he speaks English, but because it might hurt him in the future.

My 11 yr old daughter is rooting for Eban. I personally don't think he sings that great (maybe in a few years), but he's "from here", which is why she likes him. And he's cute too.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well that was uninspiring...

other than phil phillips, and "mantasia"....boys were a bore
noone on the girl side did anything spectacular (favorite was the country skylar girl though)

dont think ive ever fast forwarded thru 4 hours of idol in less than an hour before.

and seriously, who lets them pick these crappy songs to sing?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
well that was uninspiring...

I really liked Jessica's performance. Not necessarily this particular song, but her showmanship and amazing voice showed what I think is real talent. When she settles into her niche as a performer, I think she'll be unstoppable.

Dave

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, the one who impresses me most is Phillip Phillips. He's a Dave Matthews Jr. Not the greatest voice, but interesting and he puts all he's got into his performances. I also like Hollie Cavanagh. A little girl with a BIG voice.

I also like Heejun Han for his personality. He's funny in a very dry, witty way. He can sing, but I doubt he'll make it past top 10, if that.

Edited to add that I also find Reed Grimm intriguing. He's a bit like Casey from last year, but I'm afraid he may be even more "out there", meaning too eccentric to be liked by the mainstream.

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So far, the one who impresses me most is Phillip Phillips. He's a Dave Matthews Jr. Not the greatest voice, but interesting and he puts all he's got into his performances. I also like Hollie Cavanagh. A little girl with a BIG voice.

I also like Heejun Han for his personality. He's funny in a very dry, witty way. He can sing, but I doubt he'll make it past top 10, if that.

Edited to add that I also find Reed Grimm intriguing. He's a bit like Casey from last year, but I'm afraid he may be even more "out there", meaning too eccentric to be liked by the mainstream.

I like the young lady Ms Sanchez...she's technical perfection. Doubt I'd buy her album though...I tend to like more unique performers, think: Adam Lambert. The guy with the long wavy hair is intriguing...I've always been a big Smokey Robinson fan and also like Maxwell, so guys with a big range who can hit good falsettos are appealing to me. But it all depends on the material and genre of songs they ultimately put out on record. There's alot of talent across the board this year, so it will be fun to watch.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I like Hollie Cavanaugh. She intrigues me because when she speaks, it sounds like she has some kind of speech impediment, but when she sings she sounds like a Broadway star. I also like Jessica Sanchez.

For the guys, I like Joshua Ledet and Heejun Han, mostly for his personality though.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oh dont get me wrong, there are definately some amazing voices...but all in all I was just simply bored with both nights.

songs were poor choices, arrangements were poor....and the last thing I want to do is watch a dozen girls not as good as the one last year (mia somethingorother wasnt it?) just belt out ballads while they stand behind a microphone.

I really just dont get it, didnt they say at the beginning that they could pick WHATEVER song they wanted to perform? fail.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last night for me was too many girls singing Adele songs. It may have only been two (I don't really care enough to remember) but that was too many!

Skittles1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It did seem like every other girl was singing Adele, and none as good as the original of course. Even that young boy Eben sang Adele. As Jimmy Iovine said, they all need to stay away from Adele songs right now. They don't usually repeat songs to often on AI, so I think we may be done hearing them sing her songs.

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aahhh, but next week we get to hear them butcher Stevie Wonder and Whitney Houston songs...:eek:

To me, it's a little early in the competition to have them singing super challenging stuff. After all, don't they always fault the kids who "try" to sing Stevie or try to match Whitney?? Also, this plays to a certain type of singer, and will make others look ridiculous because it just isn't their type of voice or style.:annoyed:

I don't know, I was also a little annoyed by J.Lo's fawning on that one guy who didn't make the cut, but they allowed to sing for the final places. He broke down, and they all went nuts about "how much it meant to him..."
Excuse me, but doesn't it mean that much to ALL these hopefuls?? and don't they usually question those who can't finish a song? I guess he's a "super nice" guy and it's great TV to have a hug fest, but you could see the irritation of the next singer who knew she couldn't get that much attention following that display. J.Lo made it perfectly clear that he was in no matter what, because SHE knew he was great. Maybe he'll rise to her expectations, but I'm not that convinced that he's got what it takes.

It is also interesting to see Randy become the voice of reason during judges' comments over the last few nights. He's the only one calling them out. Isn't it a little early to tell them all how great they are?? Steven and JLo seem to ignore pitch problems, wardrobe goofs, song choices, etc. I loved having Jimmy Iovine give actual input about each contestant - including the comment I made at home about the girl in the "prom" dress. :rofl: Beautiful dress, but hardly pop star. I really hate to say this, but: "WHERE'S SIMON?????" (yes, I do know where he is, just sayin')

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Now that I see the final 13, I can stop watching for a month or two, until it gets down to the remaining few finalists. No sense living through the contrived melodrama in the middle. Good luck to the Survivors. Oh wait - that's a different show... :)

Dave

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hope they replace tyler with jimmy as an actual judge.

Skittles1

TUG Member
Reaction score
hope they replace tyler with jimmy as an actual judge.

That would be great if Jimmy was a judge. I loved all of his comments last night. He was a bit mean, but pretty much spot-on. Steven Tyler is a real waste of time. He loves everyone, and he seems so awkward this season.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree about the drama. If I want to watch TV with a box of tissues on my lap, I'll start watching soap operas.
It seems to be all about how much the contestants WANT to get through. Nobody seems to care about how much the DESERVE to get through.
I haven't watched it much this year. The other night I fell asleep in the midst of all the screaming/singing. How could THAT happen?

markbernstein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last season was the most boring I can recall, sad to say, so I hadn't been watching at all this season. But I'm on the road on business right now, sitting in a hotel room, and there wasn't anything else I wanted to watch, so I've now "met" the final 13.

The good news: I'm more impressed with the best of the voices this year. Of course there are some weaker ones, but there are a few I think hold real promise.

The really bad news: The judges are almost completely useless. (Well, Randy is trying a little.) I found myself missing Simon, a lot. (I may have to give X Factor a try when it comes back, which I haven't done yet.) The worst moment for me was their praise for Heejun. Did they hear the same performance I did? Yes, when he hits the notes, he has a great tone, but some of the misses were just painful.

I know this is a battle-of-the-sexes week, but I'm going to ignore that. My top three were all women - Skyler, Holly, and Jessica, in that order. Joshua was my favorite of the guys, and DeAndre was fun.

Most likely to go home? I'm going to say Jeremy. He looked like the youngest performer up there, even though some were younger.

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score
After tonight (IMHO) this competition is over, unless Tonya Harding gets some thug to take out Jessica Sanchez. She took on Whitney Houston's (ok Dolly Parton's) "I Will Always Love You", and nailed it! Game Over.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
After tonight (IMHO) this competition is over, unless Tonya Harding gets some thug to take out Jessica Sanchez. She took on Whitney Houston's (ok Dolly Parton's) "I Will Always Love You", and nailed it! Game Over.

She was the only performance I watched (my wife and her family is Filipino) and yes she was fantastic. She was actually on AGT when she was 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5iQEjSln8U

Singing is a huge part of the Filipino culture and there are some amazing Filipino singers. If you haven't heard of Charice Pempengco here are some videos of her on Oprah and singing with Celine Dion at Madison Square Garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnhPBH48CWo

Lets not forget about Lea Salonga and all her classic Disney, Les Miserables and Miss Saigon songs. We met her and saw her in concert about a year ago.

http://www.leasalonga.com/

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score

I guess you never heard of the Frau Effect. AI has basically lost a ton of male viewers over the years and the largest demographic that actually picks up the phone or text to vote are preteens/teenage girls and older women.

So cute white guys with guitars (WGWG's) will always win because they appeal to both of those demographics. That means Philip Phillips is a shoe in and will win. Very attractive females have no chance. R&B is out too. Anyone scary to older women are out too like Adam Lambert or rockers.

I thought this was all BS until everyone kept saying that the "Baby lock them doors and turn the lights down low" guy would win last year when they got to the Top 13 because he was the only one to fit the profile. At the time I thought NO WAY, as I didn't think Scotty was all that extraordinary and seemed kind of a jerk for helping kick that kid out of his group.

Scotty never even came up for elimination and the same thing will happen to Phil despite how strong the female singers or Mantasia are.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess you never heard of the Frau Effect. AI has basically lost a ton of male viewers over the years and the largest demographic that actually picks up the phone or text to vote are preteens/teenage girls and older women.

So cute white guys with guitars (WGWG's) will always win because they appeal to both of those demographics. That means Philip Phillips is a shoe in and will win. Very attractive females have no chance. R&B is out too. Anyone scary to older women are out too like Adam Lambert or rockers.

. . .

I agree with you on the demographic. I LOVE Adam Lambert, so I guess

I'm NOT an "older woman," even though people in stores/restaurants are increasingly calling me honey, sweetie, and ma'am :rolleyes:

I love Joshua and Jermaine. Listened to a few of the girls' performances, but fell asleep. I do NOT like the Adam wannabee Colton, also do not like Philip.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the girls this year super tall or standing on a platform next to Ryan? They are huge.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jessica Sanchez may have the best voice, but it's not just a singing competition. From what I've seen thus far, I'd pay 10x more to see Phillip Phillips perform than I would to see Jessica. Her voice will likely carry her quite far into this competition, but voice alone will not win it (based on past seasons). Phillip Phillips appears to be the most interesting artist they've had on the show since David Cook.

All MHO, and subject to change as we see more.

Last edited: