• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol 2012

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stopped watching a few weeks ago. I sat in the same room while Mrs watched the award show. Ace & whats her name, that was cute. The rest of it, I didn't pay much attention to, and as soon as the winner was announced I went to bed.

But when it was a good show, a few years ago, it was really good. And this doesn't change that. AI at its best was right up there as a viewing phenomenon.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The record low 21 million viewers showed that the interest in this year's show waned when the more entertaining - and probably overall talented - contestants were voted off by the "Vote for the Worst" and teenie votes (as best can be gleaned from the limited information available).

"Vote For The Worst" is having a field day as this is the first time in nearly a decade that the contestant they supported from the start (the one most obviously far below most of the others in talent although usually brimming with desire) won! Sad commentary on what had been an interesting show that has now been ruined by massive block voting for personalities / looks rather than entertainment / talent level and likelihood of commercial success.

As previously posted - it appears AI has jumped the shark and is now heading to the ash bin of once great shows. Too bad but it happens to even the best. Few have the gumption to go out on top like Seinfeld nearly did (only falling short on the much hyped final episode).

I'll be shocked if two years from now PP has even a Ruben level non-career as the winner.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
I guess the folks at "Vote for the Worst" must also be voting with their cash since "Home" is number one on iTunes. It's a bit ridiculous to say at this point what will happen in the future as far as a career is concerned but already Phillip is selling records and that is the bottom line in the music business. Now it's up to him to push through and make the career. Whether you like him or not there are many who do (myself included) and given the sales of this single the folks in the music business will certainly sit up and pay attention. He will be getting offered lots of great songs and help from producers. If he plays his cards right he could do very well.

Timeos- do you hate Dave Matthews, James Taylor, CCR, CSN&Y, and all the other successful WGWG's out there too? You certainly can do so but there are many performers/stars who aren't the best singers and who have still had enormous careers (ever here of Bob Dylan?).

JMHO, tlwmkw

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Timeos- do you hate Dave Matthews, James Taylor, CCR, CSN&Y, and all the other successful WGWG's out there too? You certainly can do so but there are many performers/stars who aren't the best singers and who have still had enormous careers (ever here of Bob Dylan?).

JMHO, tlwmkw

Except for Dave Matthews - the closest to PP - I like them all. I also fail to see what anyone hears worthwhile in Dave Matthews. The others had true talent and wrote interesting songs with great performances. Now I can't say PP absolutely won't be able to create original material that could be good but, based on what I heard over the 22-24 things he did on AI - it isn't going to happen. He has a two note "range", a repetitive style that I liked the first 3-4 times then it got worse than boring it was actually obnoxious.

Rubin (and all the others including those who came in as low as 5 or 6) also sold songs immediately after the show ended. Look at sales in two months and then a year & two years and, again, I'd be shocked if PP is a ripple on the calm music waters. I'll continue to enjoy Tom Waits classics and ignore PP barring an unexpected turn to talent I don't think he is capable of. YMMV.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a lot more to being successful in the music industry than having a good voice. If someone with an ok voice has connections and financial backing they are way ahead of an unknown that sings like a bird. A good example would be Miley Cyrus. She really has a pretty awful voice when away from the studio. She would not make it to Hollywood if auditioning for AI. But she has a musician dad with connections and money and, consequently, she's sold a lot of albums.

WRT Phil Phillips, more than anything, I question his desire to be mega-successful. He seems to be the type that would be happier scratching out a living doing what he wants to do than making millions being some record exec's pawn. I may be reading him wrong, but regardless, record sales certainly aren't a measure of ability.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Given the generally poor track record of AI winners in becoming mega-successful recording/performing superstars, I think the career PP will have will be entirely up to him. There are only a slim handful of AI winners who have gone on to become household names, and their career paths are quite varied. A greater number of AI non-winners have been more successful than most of the AI winners. And most of the whole bunch of them have faded back into obscurity. After the flush of popularity when the show ends, most AI contestants go back to being something far different than a superstar in the spotlight.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a video of him and his BiL performing "Home". It was better than his performances on AI. Not different; it was better of the same.

I'm still not really much of a fan, but I like the guy, he seems pretty genuine.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Has he had his kidney surgery? Hope he's feeling better.

Dave

He did and he says his recovery is ahead of schedule, that the doctors are surprised but pleased. I'm glad for him that things seem to finally be going good.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw a video of him and his BiL performing "Home". It was better than his performances on AI. Not different; it was better of the same.

I'm still not really much of a fan, but I like the guy, he seems pretty genuine.

I love the guy, have tried to convince any of my 19/20YO nieces to pack up their stuff and move to his hometown. I figure it's a small enough town that he'll have to get to know them and that way there's a chance he'll show up here for Sunday dinner. None of them are cooperating which makes no sense to me - if I was the right age for him I would have been there about halfway through the season! :D

If you can link that video here I'd love to see it. Please.

L

laurac260

I was sure someone would dust off the AI thread to air the latest tidbit.

It seems...

Steven ---out

JLo---out

Randy--out?? Adam Lambert in??

I like all of those options. Now to get a "Simon"....

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also saw something about Mariah Carey - In. Oh good lord, that will be it for me. Jennifer's straddling the line of acting much too young and inappropriate for her age, Mariah crossed that line a long time ago and is sickening. IMO, of course. :D

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also saw something about Mariah Carey - In. Oh good lord, that will be it for me. Jennifer's straddling the line of acting much too young and inappropriate for her age, Mariah crossed that line a long time ago and is sickening. IMO, of course. :D

I agree with you on the Mariah front. Nick Cannon is barely tolerable on AGT, and Mariah is so tacky/outrageous/hooker-esque but with less class/ with her dress and seems to be somewhat dim from everything I've seen through the years - (not that I follow her much - can't stand the stratosphere cat screeching) ...

Then there's the rumour that Charlie Sheen might be a judge:eek: :eek:
And that Randy is leaving. Frankly, my guess is it only makes one more season and then dies. It's already lost viewership with 2 years of JLo and Steven, and has been limping along...

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the guy, have tried to convince any of my 19/20YO nieces to pack up their stuff and move to his hometown. I figure it's a small enough town that he'll have to get to know them and that way there's a chance he'll show up here for Sunday dinner. None of them are cooperating which makes no sense to me - if I was the right age for him I would have been there about halfway through the season! :D

That's just how DD and I felt about Adam....not that he would have been interested.

I was sure someone would dust off the AI thread to air the latest tidbit.

It seems...

Steven ---out

JLo---out

Randy--out?? Adam Lambert in??

I like all of those options. Now to get a "Simon"....

ok, I heard Steven and JLo Out, but I didn't hear Randy Out(?) or Adam In (?). I hope Randy stays, and much as it'd be fun for me to watch Adam every week, I can't see him as a judge, maybe just a one-week mentor.

What about all our conversations up above about Jimmy? I agree that he's probably more useful coaching them as they prepare their performances, but surely there are others with his style. Just no more bubble-heads please.

L

laurac260

I don't know, that's kind of unfair Sue. I mean after all, wouldn't you like to see Mariah finally earn enough money to be able to afford clothes that fit?:p

tlwmkw

Reaction score
I think they need some "behind the scenes talent" meaning producers like Jimmy Iovine or Simon Cowell who really know how to market and sell these singers. J.Lo. and Steven Tyler are the talent (at least Steven is) but they don't know how to judge others (as seen on the last two seasons) so much of what they said was completely useless. Simon and Jimmy have a much better, long term view of the business and could really give good advice. What about Tommy Mottola, or Usher (he discovered Bieber), or some other younger folks who we don't necesarily know but who can really add something? I think looking for someone who is already known (ala Celine or Mariah) is a mistake.

jmho, tlwmkw

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judges should be Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, and Courtney Love. THAT would be something I'd tune in to see, at least once!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently Aretha has expressed interest in being a judge.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned