• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol 2012

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Apparently Aretha has expressed interest in being a judge.

Hmmm. I don't know what to think. She's a diva, no doubt, and deserves all the praise that's ever been heaped on her. But she seems mean, not willing to give up the spotlight for anyone else. Will she be able to do anything except criticize? The show sorely lacks criticism but a mix of praise and criticism is needed if the judges are going to be effective.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I don't know what to think. She's a diva, no doubt, and deserves all the praise that's ever been heaped on her. But she seems mean, not willing to give up the spotlight for anyone else. Will she be able to do anything except criticize? The show sorely lacks criticism but a mix of praise and criticism is needed if the judges are going to be effective.

I'd rather see a person who is a music critic or producer, not a star - but then again, the show needs stars to attract the audience. Aretha's getting up there - how many people will she attract?

I can't remember, but a year or so ago, one of the guest mentors was really good, we commented on this thread or last year's that she (I think she) did a great job. Stevie Nicks? Or ?????

Now if Adam was one of them.......oh boy, that would attract a lot of Glamberts :D

L

laurac260

Aretha's appeal is just lost on me unfortunately. And considering the target audience of the show, I think it would be lost on them too. I don't know the magic answer, but I found Kara insufferable, JLo even more so, Steven unhelpful (as much as he tried to be helpful), Randy :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: . I'm pretty darn sure I won't tune in for Mariah, I can't stomach her. I think the show is nearing the end of it's life.

I'm not sure about Adam as a JUDGE, but they could sure use him to spice up the show with theatrics. Not ONE contestant since him has had the chops to have stage presence/presentation like he did. He could be a style/presence coach for sure.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd rather see a person who is a music critic or producer, not a star - but then again, the show needs stars to attract the audience. Aretha's getting up there - how many people will she attract?

I can't remember, but a year or so ago, one of the guest mentors was really good, we commented on this thread or last year's that she (I think she) did a great job. Stevie Nicks? Or ?????

Now if Adam was one of them.......oh boy, that would attract a lot of Glamberts :D

I think it was Gwen Stefani who we had talked about - she's one of the only current stars who seemed to show some promise as a mentor/judge. If I'm remembering right, the only problem with her mentoring was that her clothing line left some of us un-impressed.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
This ought to fire some of you up! :D

"Some of the possibilities for judges that have been tossed around in the last week include Mariah Carey, Miley Cyrus, Adam Lambert, Fergie, will.i.am, Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj."

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This ought to fire some of you up! :D

"Some of the possibilities for judges that have been tossed around in the last week include Mariah Carey, Miley Cyrus, Adam Lambert, Fergie, will.i.am, Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj."

Well Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and/or Nicki Minaj would definitely make me either tune out or take a lot of bathroom breaks.

Miley Cyrus? Give me a break! Let's just throw Snooki and Britney Spears into the mix. Blech.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and/or Nicki Minaj would definitely make me either tune out or take a lot of bathroom breaks.

Miley Cyrus? Give me a break! Let's just throw Snooki and Britney Spears into the mix. Blech.

I saw Katy Perry on late night a week or so ago, and I must say she impressed me as being pretty normal (by young pop star standards, that is). One has to remeber that if these artists sang/behaved like they came off of "Little House on the Prarie" they probably wouldn't be successful. In other words, in some (certainly not all) cases the trashiness is just part of the act.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Methinks my days of watching AI are screeching to a close. If they have to work THAT HARD to find qualified judges, then the show has outlived its usefulness, and it's time to move on.

I watched The Voice a few times last year, and remember it as being a much more honest competition, based on legitimate talent, not on demographic voter blocs. (I happen to know Vicci Martinez, someone who is destined to become famous for her talent. I think she did great on the show.)

So now whatever will I do with the other two or three or four nights a week, and how will I ever get along without train wrecks like William Hung and the "Pants On The Ground" guy? :p

Dave

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's true what they say - you should never tempt the Rule of Three.

Ichiro Suzuki is now a New York Yankee. Penn State, Mariah as an AI judge, Ichiro as a Dreaded Yankee. If that's not an unholy trinity I don't know what is. :(

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
agreed, i see her being just a more qualified j-lo....where its more important to comfort the contestant vs give criticism.

L

laurac260

Mariah Carey is official? Blech.

Now, I enjoy a good train wreck as much as the next gal, but I think even I have to draw the line somewhere.:ignore:

Goodbye AI.....

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
Holy cow! I thought it could not any worse. But I was wrong.

Nicki Minaj? Really?

I'm gone.

Mike