• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol 2010 Official Discussion Thread *spoiler warnings*

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had to start this thread again! Fourth year in a row of obsessively watching and still as giddy about this show as ever. I cannot wait to see what the season brings with Ellen DeGeneres as the new judge and less contestants (24 instead of 36)! Plus it looks like the season overall is shorter. :eek: And could it be Simon's last year of judging???? :shrug: Counting the hours till Tuesday! :cheer: Who is watching with me?

Katherine

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not watch this show. Of course I have watched a few episodes in the beginning of each show. Funny, shocking or whatever. However, I am going to try to watch this season because I love Ellen! When does the show start?

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno.....I guess we'll watch out of habit, but a) I don't like Ellen and b) can't imagine that it'll be worth watching anymore without Adam and the way he stole the show each week. I'm afraid it'll just seem kind of ordinary.

I sure hope there's someone who has a spark beyond being a good singer.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone pm me when it's down to the last 4 or 5. ;)

I don't like the tryout shows. I don't think showing the bad singers is amusing or entertaining in any way. It's unnecessarily painful.

I do like Ellen's brand of comedy but I can't see that she will be any more fresh week after week after week after week than any of the other judges. Her comments are going to become just as trite as "dawg, that was too pitchy for me." And what will she bring to the contestants? Will she be able to honestly critique them? Maybe, maybe not.

I do not like myself when I start rooting for one contestant over the others. I don't like feeling driven to call and call and call as if it were my own career on the line. I've yet to buy one album from any Idol so far--even after investing myself into voting umpteen times for their win.

The whole AI thing has become stale to me. I remember a few years ago when I couldn't wait for the next week's show--and feeling let down when the season was over. I even posted "now what?" or something similar on TUG a few years ago. I'm just not feeling it anymore--and I think I'm happy about that.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I lost my converter box and now I see static. It's better than Letterman!

I'm just waiting for this show to go away.:p

Perhaps you could assign your viewing rights to a trust or LLC and then abandon it to non-cable viewers only? :D

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'll be watching, but not until after the gang of misfits is dispensed and the finalists are the only ones we see. I really do hate the way they exploit people who have no shot at making it. Yeah, those people choose to put themselves on camera, but it's too uncomfortable to watch them.

I love Ellen so I'm looking forward to her being on the panel, but I'm going to miss thinking of Paula saying, "here is a stick figure of you that I drew," while she climbs into Simon's lap. Honestly, that is about the funniest thing I've ever read ANYwhere, not just here on these boards! :hysterical:

Every year I think they just can't top the talent from the last season but every year a few of them step up and keep me entertained. Since my favorite kind of music video is of live performances, this show is right up my alley. Plus I usually only watch the crime drama shows and Don's a sports junkie; AI is one of the only shows that we both enjoy. I still can't believe that I waited until the second season to start watching, even though he had been telling every week how much I'd like it.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
DVR

This is the first season we have DVR capabilities from the get-go. I will watch from the beginning because I enjoy the poor talent and can speed thru the commercials. From the teasers on Fox, I haven't noticed Ellen at any auditions. Tug Idol Junkies, what's up with that?

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

will only watch when the get to the top 10...

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We watch and enjoy. Have not voted. DW and I just give our opinions to each other. She is the better judge of talent and trends. :)

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
From the teasers on Fox, I haven't noticed Ellen at any auditions. Tug Idol Junkies, what's up with that?

I think I read somewhere that the auditions started before Ellen signed on. Not sure at what point of the auditions she joined the judging panel......

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still can't believe that I waited until the second season to start watching, even though he had been telling every week how much I'd like it.

Me too. My kids were hooked on season 1. I'd walk through the room, watch briefly and not understand. I'd say, "They're so MEAN."
Watched season 2 and then I GOT it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Me too. My kids were hooked on season 1. I'd walk through the room, watch briefly and not understand. I'd say, "They're so MEAN."
Watched season 2 and then I GOT it.

AND 24....AND SURVIVOR..and the end of NIP/TUCK....2010 is going to be most excellent =D

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Looking forward to it. It's one of my favorite shows & about the only program that I faithfully follow week after week.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I found that I watched a lot less American Idol last year than previous years, and know it will be a lot less this year. Before they select the 10 top people the bulk of the candidates are just junk and I don't want to waste my time. I'm anxious to see how many gold records Ellen Degenerate has and how well she can sing...but it will turn AmIdol into a comedy show instead of a serious competition. Big mistake signifying the end is near IMO.

Brian

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I really liked Ellen's comedy show in the bookstore and I think she's a good talk show host (don't care much for her dancing). But, I'm really turned off on her as an Idol judge. But, overall, I think the public will like her.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I hope I'm able to stay away long enough to keep getting hooked. Each year we never intend on watching "to the end" of the season, but somewhere along the way, there is one night that catches us watching, and then we can't stay away.

Tell me again . . . who won last year? (J/K - I know who it was!)

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best part of the show was the train wreck which is Paula Abdul. She has said some of the most off the wall stuff I've ever heard. That's comedy. Ellen's comedy, on the other hand, is not that funny. And this isn't just a regular talent show, it's about singing. I don't see where her background in any way relates to this competition.

The show in general is OK. I'm not sure how true the voting process is. There is no way the voters didn't pick Adam last year. If so, American has no idea what talent is.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
There is no way the voters didn't pick Adam last year. If so, American has no idea what talent is.

I may not know what talent is, but as you said, this isn't a regular talent contest. I could not stand to listen to him! If I were going to buy a CD or tickets to a show, there is no way I'd spend a dime on him . . . and it has nothing to do with his sexuality as many will alledge if you dare to say you don't care for his style of music/singing.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may not know what talent is, but as you said, this isn't a regular talent contest. I could not stand to listen to him! If I were going to buy a CD or tickets to a show, there is no way I'd spend a dime on him . . . and it has nothing to do with his sexuality as many will alledge if you dare to say you don't care for his style of music/singing.

I second that. Lambert may have singing talent but he destroys it each time he starts to screech--and he can't seem to get through a song without screeching. It hurts my tender ears. Compare his style to that of Susan Boyle. I could listen to her for hours. Such vocal beauty is rare. I find myself crying with sweet emotion when I hear her sing. With Lambert (and DH felt the same) I keep thinking "when is the torture going to end?!"

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ai 2010

When does this year's program start? How many nights/week?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
When does this year's program start? How many nights/week?

Tuesday, Jan. 12 (8:00-10:00 PM) - Season Premiere, Part 1 Boston Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Jan. 13 (8:00-9:15 PM) - Season Premiere, Part 2 Atlanta Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Jan. 19 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Chicago Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Jan. 20 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Orlando Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Jan. 26 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Dallas Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Jan. 27 (9:00-10:00 PM) - Los Angeles Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Feb. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Denver Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Feb. 3 (9:00-10:00 PM) - "The Road to Hollywood" Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Feb. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Hollywood Round, Part 1

Wednesday, Feb. 10 (9:00-10:00 PM) - Hollywood Round, Part 2

Tuesday, Feb. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Hollywood Round, Part 3

Wednesday, Feb. 17 (9:00-10:00 PM) - Hollywood Round, Part 4 Top 24 Semifinalists Announced

Tuesday, Feb. 23 (8:00-10:00 PM) - Top 12 Female Semifinalists Perform

Wednesday, Feb. 24 (8:00-10:00 PM) - Top 12 Male Semifinalists Perform

Thursday, Feb. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM) - First Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed) Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated

Tuesday, March 2 (8:00-10:00 PM) - Top 10 Female Semifinalists Perform

Wednesday, March 3 (8:00-10:00 PM) - Top 10 Male Semifinalists Perform

Thursday, March 4 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed) Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated

Tuesday, March 9 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Top 8 Female Semifinalists Perform

Wednesday, March 10 (9:00-10:00 PM) - Top 8 Male Semifinalists Perform

Thursday, March 11 (8:00-9:00 PM) - Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed) Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated; Finalists Revealed

Tuesday, March 16 (8:00-10:00 PM) - Finalists Perform (ET live/PT tape-delayed)

Wednesday, March 17 (9:00-10:00 PM) - Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed) One Contestant Eliminated

NOTE how short the season is. I thought it went till May last year??? What's up with that?

Katherine

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think once it got down to the final 3, it was incredibly even split between lambert, gokey, and chris whatshisface...with the latter two having votes for people that simply didnt like lambert or his lifestyle etc.

once gokey was gone, its pretty likely (to me anyway) that all of his voters switched to chris by default.

Conversely, I think gokey wins hands down if chris was voted off and he went up against lambert for the same reason.

*shrug

all good fun for me to watch, I really enjoy the show!

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score

I second that. Lambert may have singing talent but he destroys it each time he starts to screech--and he can't seem to get through a song without screeching. It hurts my tender ears. Compare his style to that of Susan Boyle. I could listen to her for hours. Such vocal beauty is rare. I find myself crying with sweet emotion when I hear her sing. With Lambert (and DH felt the same) I keep thinking "when is the torture going to end?!"

Everyone enjoys certain styles of music and singing. I mean no disrespect. Adam already has a bigger career than Chris as do many of the other non-winners vs. the winners. I guess the people who vote are not the ones buying the products (CD, tickets, I-tunes, etc.).

Last edited: