• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol 2010 Official Discussion Thread *spoiler warnings*

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We've enjoyed it. We haven't really watched in the past but decided to try it this year. I don't really understand the fuss about Adam Lambert- from what I've seen of him he does nothing for me either way (don't hate him or love him just find him annoying too dramatic for my taste). Who have been the winners in the past few years? I haven't really heard about any of them other than Adam Lambert (and I don't think he was the winner), Daughtry, Underwood, and the other woman who won it in the first year (can't think of her name). It seems that many of these people just disappear once they have finished with the show.

tlwmkw

Where have you been? Carrie Underwood became a superstar and still is. She has been the biggest star of all the AI winners. She has been a Grammy winner, Country Music Awards winner, several TV specials that she hosted, etc.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some folks might find this interesting. Crystal Bowersox, in 1999 at age 13, singing an original song. My opinion: the melody is strong, the lyrics reflect the fact that it was written by a 13 year old, but knowingly, and the voice sells the song. Not my cuppa tea, but pretty damn impressive for a 13 year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFaAbWOT8rw

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Which ones do you consider "nutty"? I've seen Barry Manilow, Cher, and Anita Baker, and loved their shows. I wouldn't call any of their productions "nutty." They did first-rate, professional shows.

I agree with you. We have seen many of the Las Vegas production shows like Celine Dion, etc., etc.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
John Cummings,

In my post that you quoted above I did mention Carrie Underwood (as well as Kelly Clarkson(the one whose name I couldn't remember), Daughtry, and Adam Lambert). I haven't been living under a rock but I also haven't been watching AI in past seasons and if you don't watch the show then most of the other folks from the show that have been mentioned here haven't really made it to the mainstream. I think you'll find that for most people who don't watch the show they don't know who these folks are.

tlwmkw

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Some folks might find this interesting. Crystal Bowersox, in 1999 at age 13, singing an original song. My opinion: the melody is strong, the lyrics reflect the fact that it was written by a 13 year old, but knowingly, and the voice sells the song. Not my cuppa tea, but pretty damn impressive for a 13 year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFaAbWOT8rw

WOW I liked that performance more than ANYthing I've seen her do on Idol this year . . . and she is much more attractive with that hair style than the dreads.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Road Trip This Weekend

I logged over 700miles this weekend for work, and was surprised at the amount of David Cook I heard on a variety of radio stations. I also heard that guy from last week's show who sang "Breathe" on the results show . . . they guy who was founded by Perez Hilton. I had never heard the song before last Wednesday, and it seemed to be playing every couple of hours while I was driving. I guess the Idol show does get people exposure and recognition.

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW I liked that performance more than ANYthing I've seen her do on Idol this year . . . and she is much more attractive with that hair style than the dreads.

I totally agree. What a lovely, talented young girl, and nice hair!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I love love love U2 so I did NOT like Lee's version of 'Beautiful Day'. Can't really duplicate or compete with Bono for performance and charisma. So that would be a song that would always compare poorly against the original.

Lee's other 2 song versions left me kind of flat. I want to like him but....

Crystal's songs I liked a bit better, but Black Velvet was not the best choice for her, although it was more upbeat than Lee's. She is more sassy than sultry, and Black Velvet needs the sultry in the performance.

I did like 'Up to the Mountain' much better, as it suited her style. A blues country ballad. Perfect for her style.

If young girls are voting then Lee will win anyway. Based on tonight I think Crystal should win. I had thought coming into tonight that Lee had it in the bag, but what a difference a day makes. Of course it is only IMHO.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I think Lee has the personality of a paint salesman, and it comes through. OK, he's a guy, but there's nothing really daring or attractive about him. No swagger. My daughter isn't that young any more (19), but she doesn't think there's anything there.

I thought Crystal was OK on Bobby McGee, did a passable job with a song that was outside her wheel house on Black Velvet, and made the Idol song her own like no other Idol winner has. I would... strike that, will buy her album.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love love love U2 so I did NOT like Lee's version of 'Beautiful Day'. Can't really duplicate or compete with Bono for performance and charisma. So that would be a song that would always compare poorly against the original.

Crystal's songs I liked a bit better, but Black Velvet was not the best choice for her, although it was more upbeat than Lee's. She is more sassy than sultry, and Black Velvet needs the sultry in the performance.

I did like 'Up to the Mountain' much better, as it suited her style. A blues country ballad. Perfect for her style.

If young girls are voting then Lee will win anyway. Based on tonight I think Crystal should win. I had thought coming into tonight that Lee had it in the bag, but what a difference a day makes. Of course it is only IMHO.

My thoughts exactly! Including the part about U2 :)

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lets hope new judge helps find something better next year

No excitement and no clear choice - I won't waste time voting for either as they just don't do anything for us. Wish we could vote to "start over". I'm glad to see this season end. Two seasons in a row with non-descript, unlikely to do much musically winners. I'll give it one more chance next year but if things go this bad again it's time to find something else to do Tuesdays and Wednesdays Jan - May.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I think Lee has the personality of a paint salesman, and it comes through. OK, he's a guy, but there's nothing really daring or attractive about him. No swagger. My daughter isn't that young any more (19), but she doesn't think there's anything there.

ok, not to insult any paint salesmen, but I know exactly what you mean - great comment!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thought crystal easily won the night...wasnt even close.

that last song was the best thing she's done all year.

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poor Lee! He had to sing a U2 cover as his "winner's" song, and made a complete mess of it!! Took me awhile to decide if it really was U2's song, or a badly written new song for him that had copied U2. Lee just didn't know how to be a "closer" for the competition. If he'd been able to duplicate the week before, he'd have it in the bag, but instead he was somewhat lackluster tonight.

Crystal, on the other hand, proves herself to have enough experience to be able to come out on this important night and do a great job.
OK, I didn't like her rendition of "Black Velvet" - I actually thought she was a bit manic and overdid it.
But that final song....!!!! Wow! I rewound it and listened to it again (rare for this season) and still loved it and her! :clap:

Sounds like we'll have to wade through a big "Farewell, Simon" thing tomorrow -- hope it doesn't take away from the winner's time in the spotlight..

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

I completely agree. The only thing I would add is that Lee really sucked tonight. Crystal killed it.

I came in thinking that Lee would win, but after such a pitiful performance, he doesn't deserve to win.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dialidol.com is showing Lee as the winner! By a pretty substantial margin. Now if that was to really happen, it would have to be considered a major upset. What are the odds of that taking place?

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Dialidol.com is showing Lee as the winner! By a pretty substantial margin. Now if that was to really happen, it would have to be considered a major upset. What are the odds of that taking place?

If Lee takes it tonite, he'll be another Kris Allen. Crystal will have a career ahead of her, regardless. I will buy her CD.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crystal ... is more sassy than sultry ....

Crystal doesn't do the glamour thing well. Remember the comical Morticia Adams dress from a few weeks ago? I think she is lovely, dreadlocks and all, but just in a different way.

Unlike nearly everyone else, I enjoyed Lee's rendition of "The Boxer." I disagreed with the judges who said he should have pumped it up. Not every song needs to be over the top. Some songs are better when they are understated. I think he did an excellent job on that one last night. Crystal is still my favorite, though.

Why wasn't there a song written for the winner as in years past? I was looking forward to hearing the last two standing sing the same song so I could compare apples with apples.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poor Lee! He had to sing a U2 cover as his "winner's" song, and made a complete mess of it!!

From what I understand, they got to pick their song from a list; at least they didn't have to sing "This is My Now" or "Do I Make You Proud".

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score

I saw that mentioned somewhere else; if so, big upset, but I can't say I care. I didn't care enough to vote, after all. I'll buy the lady's album regardless, and maybe she'll have more creative control, as the non-winner.

About Crystal; she has a strong, strong independent streak. And she has an overwhelming need to be in control, and to be top dog; witness her taking the moment to thank Simon, which not only thanked Simon, but also established her relationship, and let people know about any future relationships, as that she is the one who gets to say what, to whom, and when. No matter how big Simon is, when he and she are talking, it's about HER. One way to get people to vote for you is to let them know you need their votes. By doing what she did, Crystal basically let it be known that she doesn't need any damn votes. Not that she doesn't want them, but she doesn't care whether she gets them or not. If she loses, IMO she lost right there. She should have kept her mouth shut. But if she'd done so, she wouldn't be Crystal. I think in the long run she serves herself better by maintaining control.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw that mentioned somewhere else; if so, big upset, but I can't say I care. I didn't care enough to vote, after all. I'll buy the lady's album regardless, and maybe she'll have more creative control, as the non-winner.

About Crystal; she has a strong, strong independent streak. And she has an overwhelming need to be in control, and to be top dog; witness her taking the moment to thank Simon, which not only thanked Simon, but also established her relationship, and let people know about any future relationships, as that she is the one who gets to say what, to whom, and when. No matter how big Simon is, when he and she are talking, it's about HER. One way to get people to vote for you is to let them know you need their votes. By doing what she did, Crystal basically let it be known that she doesn't need any damn votes. Not that she doesn't want them, but she doesn't care whether she gets them or not. If she loses, IMO she lost right there. She should have kept her mouth shut. But if she'd done so, she wouldn't be Crystal. I think in the long run she serves herself better by maintaining control.

Yep. I think that Crystal's had the attitude that she doesn't "need" AI for quite a while, and she's right. Once she got far enough in the competition to be known, I think her career was in place. In many ways, I think she has considered a good portion of this season's show to be an major inconvenience. I think she'd like to win, but I don't think she'll be overly concerned if she doesn't.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think there is a great amount of truth to your thoughts. From the beginning, the judges have seemed to be very gun-shy on their comments, and it seems like they go out of their way to ensure they don't talk to Crystal in a condescending manner (like they do for ALL of the other contestants). And Crystal does have this nature of appearing to be in control while getting feedback from the judges.

I don't mind that in a singer, however. I'll be anxiously awaiting Crystal's first release and I've enjoyed her singing throughout the show.

Having said all that, I'm now pulling for Lee. I like the underdog factor, and he seems to be the more likeable of the two.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Uh..... may I add "two years in a row" to that question? ;)