• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol 2009!!!

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kris looked shocked, truly shocked and Adam looked like he was happy, genuinely happy. Worked out best as Adam will be able to go off and do what he wants and Kris will have the Idol winner springboard behind him.

I've been thinking the same thing.

Exactly what I was thinking also...

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a good synopsis of the show.

What gets me is Kris knew Adam was more deserving, he said so himself, but I think so many people wanted to stick it to the judges that Adam was ousted without cause. Too bad.. He was the best preformer that ever stepped on the Idol stage.

One of the things I told my husband is that any of the top four would have been picked as the American Idol for the last three years. They were all better than winners of years past.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a good synopsis of the show.

What gets me is Kris knew Adam was more deserving, he said so himself, but I think so many people wanted to stick it to the judges that Adam was ousted without cause. Too bad.. He was the best preformer that ever stepped on the Idol stage.

One of the things I told my husband is that any of the top four would have been picked as the American Idol for the last three years. They were all better than winners of years past.

David Cook was last year's winner and I wouldn't put any of this year's performers above him.

Do you remember when Adam made the bottom 3 during week 4? The judge's comments carried Adam into the Finals, and obviously for the sake of ratings, that's what they wanted. It would have been a total disaster for the finals show to not include Adam. The judges knew Adam was on the ropes for about the last 3-4 weeks.

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was very happy with the results of AI this year. Kris and Adam were phenomenal, each in their own way. I favored Kris' singing ability because I loved the control he had on all the different notes. Adams' singing was wonderful and exciting in that rocker sort of way. Toward the end of the season, I began realizing that Kris was blossoming and I began to notice the amazing vocal range and talent he has.

Either one would be a very deserving American Idol. I just thought judged on vocals alone that Kris is the most talented. I know many disagree with me and that's okay. I read somewhere on the web that the deciding vote was extremely close, so I guess many of us will disagree.

But just wanted to say I thought this season was one of the best so far - the number of extremely talented singers was amazing. My personal favorite was Danny Gokey. When he sang, I would close my eyes and just concentrate on that amazing voice of his. I have never purchased any songs by the Idol contestants, but I will definitely look for anything Danny records.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck to all the young people who performed in the last few weeks. I put the week when Matt was still there on my ipod and love the 5 songs. I hope Adam gets to do something that plays his theatrics as he is very good in that area. Kris was my choice because his type of music is my choice. He was very surprised and should have been after all the publicity Adam has received. Congrats to the Adam fans because I know he will go far with folks who like his type music. Life is too precious to spend it trying to make others unhappy.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A Dime a dozen. Nothing stands out

We'll have to revisit this thread a year from now to see who the top-seller is. But we now know the 2009 American Idol.

Great show tonight, the best American Idol show ever!

See you all next year and thanks to all for making this the best TUG thread of all time!

Maybe they should just call the debut (and most likely last) cd from Kris "Songs from the Fair" as most likely it will be free County Fairs he'll be doing in a year or two just like Ruben and Taylor. Hey, every two or three years the vote goes wrong but it was fun getting there.

mterra

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree--it was a fantastically entertaining show with one surprise after another. I'm so glad I forced myself not to look at this thread until I had watched the whole show. This has undoubtedly been the best American Idol season yet.

I agree, I stayed off of here because I knew there would have been an "announcement." I am not surprised, but am disappointed. I thought Kris should have gone home a while ago. It would have been more "believable" if it had come down to Adam and Allison, maybe. Many of them will do great in the long run. This was a Great season. Did they even show the judges faces when the announcement was made? I would have loved to see that!
Mary

midwest6

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a great show last nite. Adam and Chris are both great guys and you can tell they developed a genuine friendship amongst the competition. Adam didnt show dissapointment, he knows he is going places.

The difference in their style, going to thier concerts......
Adam, a great performer, artist, puts everything he has into his performance. I will go away thinking, I was very entertained tonite, I got my moneys worth, it was fun!

Chris, a great performer, artist, puts everything he has into his performance, I laugh when he laughs, he makes me happy, he makes me feel sad, he is the guy next door I would like to hang out with, I go away more inspired to live, laugh and love.

I think America is hungry for the latter :clap:

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I agree, I stayed off of here because I knew there would have been an "announcement." I am not surprised, but am disappointed. I thought Kris should have gone home a while ago. It would have been more "believable" if it had come down to Adam and Allison, maybe. Many of them will do great in the long run. This was a Great season. Did they even show the judges faces when the announcement was made? I would have loved to see that!
Mary

I wouldn't have been surprised either way, but I am not disappointed. Kris' style appeals to me. That's all Idol represents, right, is appeal? None of us is qualified to measure technical merit, as a conservatory professor may, I mean. Adam had some amazing moments, in my opinion Kris had more. Where Adam had the theatrical edge, Kris had the instrumental edge. We all could make similar comparisons for our own favorites. In the end they were all good - they weren't all lucky.

Simon did not look happy, or at least he was not up and out his seat clapping like the other judges. This is the first year that I've thought that the judge's actions actually influenced the vote - even in this thread, there are a lot of comments about their inappropriate maneuvering. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, that it's probably best for them to not push an agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kris is deserving and I wanted him to win. But there are four or five who were equally deserving, and the judges may have sabotaged more than just Adam's chances.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem I think I would have with the concert is that it would be a lot like the finale show. I am sure there are some individual songs but there would be a lot of group numbers just like in the finale, blech...

No - I saw the live show 2 years ago, and there were lots of individual numbers, not repeats from the TV show. There were a few male and female group numbers, and various duets, but most of it was individual and it was very good. The female half of the audience went crazy when Ace Young took off his jacket and, at another time, threw his beanie LOL - that seems so tame now.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have been surprised either way, but I am not disappointed. Kris' style appeals to me. That's all Idol represents, right, is appeal? None of us is qualified to measure technical merit, as a conservatory professor may, I mean. Adam had some amazing moments, in my opinion Kris had more. Where Adam had the theatrical edge, Kris had the instrumental edge. We all could make similar comparisons for our own favorites. In the end they were all good - they weren't all lucky.

Simon did not look happy, or at least he was not up and out his seat clapping like the other judges. This is the first year that I've thought that the judge's actions actually influenced the vote - even in this thread, there are a lot of comments about their inappropriate maneuvering. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, that it's probably best for them to not push an agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kris is deserving and I wanted him to win. But there are four or five who were equally deserving, and the judges may have sabotaged more than just Adam's chances.

That's what I think happened. Many, Many people voted against Adam, not for Kris. They were turned off by the judges gushing over Adam and voted for Kris as a backlash. That was a gigantic disservice to Adam.. and basically unfair.

I was shocked at the outcome. I was dismayed at the outcome. I was distraught at the outcome (since I had invested all that time rooting for Adam)!!! But I have moved on today. Life's too short as they say.

Adam will do great things and Kris will probably find a nice career in Country Music. Kris plays beautiful acoustic guitar, and piano, but since this was a singing competition, I don't think the right person won.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to Kris for winning! He's not my cup of tea, but he's OK enough. Adam's not my cup of tea, either, but if there was a Broadway show CD that he was in, that I liked, I would get it.

Regarding contracts of the winners, I think the final 5 are all under contract to 19E in some way (part of the reason for the save, maybe). But I think that the 2 through 5 people get more artistic freedom. Look at the way Daughtry was free to make records in his style, while Hicks from the same season was forced into a Michael McDonald mold that he wasn't very well suited for. Not that Hicks would have been any more successful as a second rate white blues singer, but still, he nev er had the chance to try, either.

Interesting facts coming to light: most of the country favored Adam (the margin was not reported), but 38 million votes were cast from Arkansas, Kris' home state. Adding in the probability that Gokey fans went over to Kris, the margin was reportedly not even close; Kris won by a fairly wide margin (the actual number has not yet been reported).

Although I'm sure there was some anti-gay vote, I have to discount it. I think that anyone who would be anti gay would also prefer Kris, and not like Adam's music regardless. Not meaning the reverse is true... liking one over the other doesn't mean someone would be anti-gay. But it would be odd to imagine someone thinking, "I hate gays, but man that "Ring of Fire" was AWESOME!"

My favorite moment of the night was Allison Iraheta and Cindy Lauper singing "Time After Time". First, I have always loved that song, it is so sweet and gracefully understated. Second, Lauper has always been underestimated as a performer and songwriter; she allowed herself to be characaturized early in her career, and it did not serve her well. Third, they sounded great together, and the accompaniment was beautiful. It transcended the rest of the show, IMO.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations to Kris for winning! He's not my cup of tea, but he's OK enough. Adam's not my cup of tea, either, but if there was a Broadway show CD that he was in, that I liked, I would get it.

Regarding contracts of the winners, I think the final 5 are all under contract to 19E in some way (part of the reason for the save, maybe). But I think that the 2 through 5 people get more artistic freedom. Look at the way Daughtry was free to make records in his style, while Hicks from the same season was forced into a Michael McDonald mold that he wasn't very well suited for. Not that Hicks would have been any more successful as a second rate white blues singer, but still, he nev er had the chance to try, either.

Interesting facts coming to light: most of the country favored Adam (the margin was not reported), but 38 million votes were cast from Arkansas, Kris' home state. Adding in the probability that Gokey fans went over to Kris, the margin was reportedly not even close; Kris won by a fairly wide margin (the actual number has not yet been reported).

Although I'm sure there was some anti-gay vote, I have to discount it. I think that anyone who would be anti gay would also prefer Kris, and not like Adam's music regardless. Not meaning the reverse is true... liking one over the other doesn't mean someone would be anti-gay. But it would be odd to imagine someone thinking, "I hate gays, but man that "Ring of Fire" was AWESOME!"

My favorite moment of the night was Allison Iraheta and Cindy Lauper singing "Time After Time". First, I have always loved that song, it is so sweet and gracefully understated. Second, Lauper has always been underestimated as a performer and songwriter; she allowed herself to be characaturized early in her career, and it did not serve her well. Third, they sounded great together, and the accompaniment was beautiful. It transcended the rest of the show, IMO.

I agree, Cindy Lauper is underrated and that duet was beautiful.

You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see some sort of block in the vote system that would allow only one vote from one number. Everyone who wants to vote should be able to, but each should only be able to vote once from one phone. Sure, some folks will get a few votes because they have a few different phones, and some families might have to hold an in-house vote before their one call, but that would balance out way better than the system does now.

Eh, what do I know? I've never voted after any AI show. :)

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . . In the end they were all good - they weren't all lucky.
Imagine "These are your top XX singers" and stopping there - it wouldn't fit our culture's emphasis on competition and winning, but it would reflect the reality that AI does help far more than just the top one to become successful!

. . . the judge's actions actually influenced the vote - even in this thread, there are a lot of comments about their inappropriate maneuvering. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, that it's probably best for them to not push an agenda.

. . . They were turned off by the judges gushing over Adam and voted for Kris as a backlash. . . .

Yes, yes, yes, and yes again. Too bad we can't vote out the judges! How about some duct tape :D Or maybe the studio audience should have little buttons to push. Remember "applause meters"?

Or better yet - I know a half-dozen or more people online who would make GREAT judges :D

. . .
Regarding contracts of the winners, I think the final 5 are all under contract to 19E in some way (part of the reason for the save, maybe). But I think that the 2 through 5 people get more artistic freedom. . . .

Just not getting a recording contract, right? Those who record under contract with a different label (or their own) are going to have more freedom (though perhaps not right away) - which I think is exactly what Adam wants.

Where's the info on votes?

And yes, I agree that those who might have voted anti-gay probably not liking Adam's more flamboyant music anyway.

. . . . I'd like to see some sort of block in the vote system that would allow only one vote from one number. Everyone who wants to vote should be able to, but each should only be able to vote once from one phone. Sure, some folks will get a few votes because they have a few different phones, and some families might have to hold an in-house vote before their one call, but that would balance out way better than the system does now. . . .

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I did text vote a few thousand times - simultaneously pressing re-send on two phones - but a once-only system would be better.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think i read somewhere that simon and his company own the rights to all the contestants regardless of how they finish...im sure they can sell them to others etc, or just collect royalties from the stars.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think i read somewhere that simon and his company own the rights to all the contestants regardless of how they finish...im sure they can sell them to others etc, or just collect royalties from the stars.

Simon Fuller, right? The producer? Not Simon Cowell the judge. I think they're often mixed up.

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I DVR'd the show and started watching it late (it was still on when I started it) and again YAHOO blew it for me. I couldn't believe it. It didn't say anything on my home page, but when I clicked on mail, it took me to another page where one of the headlines said something like "Kris shocker, new American Idol".

Darn them! I purposely took it off of the homepage just for that reason. I wish they would wait to announce that stuff or at least not put it on a page that people accidently see.

It was still a good show, but the finale had no drama for me because of the spoiler.

I really enjoyed all of the performances last night. Fergie and Black-Eyed Peas were great. I'd go see Adam perform with Queen any day. A really good finale.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Fuller.

it appears he started 19E, but later sold it (still is the president though) and manages most of the contestants..well the popular ones anyway.

Cowell just gets credit for the idea, as he started the british idol show before it got copied here in america...although I think that fuller actually produced the show...it was just cowells baby.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
People from the west coast should not criticize people from the east coast for posting about Idol after the results. You expect us to wait three hours to share our excitement? Why?
Just don't read any Idol thread before the show. You be patient for those three hours.
(And it wasn't even me. This is my first post since the results).
I missed the end and was shocked at the winner. But happy for Kris. I understand Queen and Kiss have offered Adam a job? I don't think he should latch on to any aging, though immensely popular, group for a career. He will make a name for himself independently. Doesn't need anyone else's coattails.
Now what to do on Tuesday and Wednesday nights......

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fuller.

it appears he started 19E, but later sold it (still is the president though) and manages most of the contestants..well the popular ones anyway.

Cowell just gets credit for the idea, as he started the british idol show before it got copied here in america...although I think that fuller actually produced the show...it was just cowells baby.

Yep. Here's the details if anyone is interested...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3943498/#storyContinued

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where's the info on votes?

And yes, I agree that those who might have voted anti-gay probably not liking Adam's more flamboyant music anyway.

Sorry, I was going to give the link and got caught up in typing. It has been changed... it originally read, "AT&T says about 38 million American Idol votes came from Arkansas last night." Now it reads, "AT&T is denying that 38 million votes came in from Arkansas. They are not sure where that number originated from." Last updated at 10:59AM, so, go figure.

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story/Conway-reacts-to-Kris-win/sv8BNSsGY0G8GRZWSr0fRw.cspx

edit: and NOW, the 12:22PM update reads, "Some how news spread that there were 38 million votes from Arkansas. AT&T says, 'We can't confirm how many votes were cast in Arkansas, and we can't comment on the number of votes for any contestant.' - Natasha Collins, AT&T spokeswoman."

So, that's turning into a big story, actually.

The report that it wasn't even close came from talk show host Billy Bush, via Twitter: http://twitter.com/BillyBush/status/1867695411

Yeah, on the anti gay stuff. The only ones who could have influenced anything would be those who liked Lambert's music, but voted against him anyhow. My guess on the number of those people is, close to or equal to zero. But I bet a lot of indifferent people voted against Lambert just because they didn't like having him shoved at them. I know I sure didn't. I mean, I like the guy, but come on.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
People from the west coast should not criticize people from the east coast for posting about Idol after the results. You expect us to wait three hours to share our excitement? Why?
Just don't read any Idol thread before the show. You be patient for those three hours.

+1

I agree 100%... I don't get it at all... :)

I mean what if we started worrying about the people in Hawaii??? LOL

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
+1

I agree 100%... I don't get it at all... :)

I mean what if we started worrying about the people in Hawaii??? LOL

I don't know - I think there can be a fair compromise. Anyone can choose to not visit the message boards until after AI airs on their time if they don't want the results, but it's crazy to expect that they have to abstain from all media outlets until then. The criticism of Yahoo in this thread, for instance - it's reasonable to expect that they either use "Spoiler" alerts (as my comcast.net page had) or don't publish the results.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know - I think there can be a fair compromise. Anyone can choose to not visit the message boards until after AI airs on their time if they don't want the results, but it's crazy to expect that they have to abstain from all media outlets until then. The criticism of Yahoo in this thread, for instance - it's reasonable to expect that they either use "Spoiler" alerts (as my comcast.net page had) or don't publish the results.

We're talking about a single thread clearly labeled 'American Idol 2009'.

I definitely wasn't referring to other media. I mean why read the thread?

Mainly just wondering if I'm not seeing something clearly. Maybe some are getting some kind of digest view????