• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Idol 2009!!!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one watching? It's week 2...

What do you guys think? How about the new judge? And the new format of 12 people each week and eliminating 9?

Katherine

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i think its terrible, the top 3 from a random group? one or two were really left out of week 1.

week 2, other than 2...i cant see any of them performing well enough to stay at all...yet 3 must be selected.

the top girl and boy tonight were easy choices, the other 10 could pack up and go after tonight, yeesh.

I predict a danny vs whateverhisnamewastonight that did the rolling stones song final!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ummm, am I the only one who is having problems with the sound mix tonight? Every song sounds aweful for me right now. It seems like the mike of the singer is on some wierd quiet mode. :confused:

I have YET to see a single singer kick it. Then again, I am only about an hour into it...

Katherine

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oh it was a terrible night. again only the redhead young girl, and the very last guy were of any noteworthy performance.

the rest was just miserable.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I agree, Brian. Those two you mentioned were really good, but the rest weren't.

I like the new girl judge. She seems very knowledgeable about the music industry and her criticisms of the performers is very constructive.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've liked it so far, and hope Anoop comes back in the Wild Card round. Definitely love Adam Lambert - the Rolling Stones performer. He's been performing for awhile.....but a lot of them aren't true amateurs. Adam may be too edgy to appeal to the masses once we get down to fewer contestants.

I wish they didn't waste our time with so many bad singers and messed up people who are apparently put on only to provide some laughs - I do not find it amusing to laugh at people's flaws.

The 3/12 format isn't good, since out of a given 12 there may be more than 3 who are really good. However the Wild Card round could help with that if it's used to bring back some good singers who were eliminated.

I'm getting tired of hearing about the song choice - perhaps the judges should pre-judge the song choices so we're hearing the performers at their best?

Last edited:

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the format is a little strange. I wonder how they come up with the group of 12- is it random? Did they used to start out with less than 36?

I think the new judge is pretty good. She does seem to know music.

While many of the performances last night were a little iffy, sometimes it seems very hard to please those judges as far as song choice. I thought some of them made ok song choices and the judges didn't like very many of them.

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 top picks from week one made it through (Alexis and Danny) and my #3 was Anoop so I too hope he gets back as a wild card. He only missed being the #3 by 20,000 votes...
Last night - IMO there were only 2 standouts, Alison (red head 16 y.o.) and Adam who I also really liked since his audition round (last singer, Satisfaction)
I agree, don't like this new format and wonder about how they set up the groups. This group had no real other contenders IMO although for a #3, I'd go with Megan, the blonde with the arm of tatoos.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Not likin' the new format. I recall that in the past we would be presented with the top 24 and a guy & gal would be voted off weekly until 12 remained and then it was one elimination weekly.

Missed the first performer (Jasmine?) last nite. She was one of those featured previously and I had liked her from what I had seen, but the recap glimpse I caught suggested she was pretty weak.

I don't get why the judges put thru that vampy guy unless it was to help him get a gig in Vegas.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible. Just awful.

My belief is that the producers use the mix to steer votes toward and away from contestants... and it is obvious that the production for Adam Lambert was about 10 times what it was for everyone else. I still like the guy, but come on.

Adam Lambert pre American Idol, his original song "Crawl Through Fire". He's got some real theatrical sense, that's for sure.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
This group had no real other contenders IMO although for a #3, I'd go with Megan, the blonde with the arm of tatoos.

Now see, I thought that the redhead who sang "Betty Davis Eyes" was better than tattoo girl. TT girl was OK enough, but she had no stage presence at all; BDE girl was OK enough, and also did a nice job with the stage movements.

That being said, I agree, neither one was all that and a slice of pie. The top of a sorry lot.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
The talent doesn't seem as strong this season. I don't like the 12 person elimination round. I think they are just getting lucky that most everyone stinks. It makes it easier to get the top talent through.

I agree that the top 2 were pretty obvious last night.

However, all this does is give more chances to the "vote for the worst" guys to wreak havoc on the competition.

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible. Just awful.

My belief is that the producers use the mix to steer votes toward and away from contestants... and it is obvious that the production for Adam Lambert was about 10 times what it was for everyone else. I still like the guy, but come on.

Adam Lambert pre American Idol, his original song "Crawl Through Fire". He's got some real theatrical sense, that's for sure.

I agree with the judges--Adam is in a totally different league than the rest of them. I do think Allison was the best of the girls. Everyone else needs to go home.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible. Just awful.

Adam Lambert did stand out in the prelims. This video was outrageous. He's already professional. He should apply to take over for Freddy Mercury in Queen. He's going to kill it if Queen is one of the theme weeks.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my good friends is Filipino and he is good friends with Lea Salonga (the first Miss Saigon). He told me last month about a new up and coming superstar from his home country. Her name is Charice Pempengco. I want so much for her to show up at the American Idol try outs and say she is going to sing "I will always love you" and have Simon pan her for trying to sing a Whitney Houston song and then look at his face when she sings it.

Charice Pempengco is a spot on copy of Whitney Houston. Listen for you yourself (it's her second song).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCd4esuc5GA

[youtube]VCd4esuc5GA[/youtube]

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not likin' the new format. I recall that in the past we would be presented with the top 24 and a guy & gal would be voted off weekly until 12 remained and then it was one elimination weekly.

Missed the first performer (Jasmine?) last nite. She was one of those featured previously and I had liked her from what I had seen, but the recap glimpse I caught suggested she was pretty weak.

I don't get why the judges put thru that vampy guy unless it was to help him get a gig in Vegas.

I believe Nick Mitchell (vampy guy) & Tatiana (winey, crying, begging girl) were producer's choices to try and create interest. Fortunately, votes did not support Tatiana and hopefully will not support Nick. Personally, I believe that Adam is too put together and has already reached his peak. He will likely go deep but I don't think he will win it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adam lambert has the voice to win it all, hands down. when that guy gets cranked up its quite insane.

My pick is still Danny...he sounds just like d cook from last year...and easily has the background story to carry many many voters.

I also liked anoop and the braddy kid from the first night, both would have easily earned the 3rd spot from last nights performances.

(sorry, even i got nick and adam confused, i meant the vampire guy)

Last edited:

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I like this years format, but it does get more people with greater exposure. Watched both weeks and so far no one has really excited me. It think the red head girl and the last guy will be the top 2.

Nancy

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

[/b]
I believe Nick Mitchell (vampy guy) ...

Beejaybeeohio, do you mean Nick Mitchell or Adam Lambert? Nick was a waste of time, but I love Adam Lambert. DD is going to love that video when she sees it.

The one thing that bugs me about Lambert is that he is already professional. I know his professional status doesn't violate the AI rules and there have been plenty of other professionals over the years. It's got to be hard for those who are strictly amateurs to compete.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is Alexis the petite blonde with pink highlights in her hair? I like her alot. I also wub Danny Boy (for his voice and appeal). Of last night's bunch I like the last guy best, even though I think the song "Satisfaction" is hugely over-rated in the lexicon of rock music and don't enjoy hearing it, ever. :p

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thankfully we've got plenty to spare.

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
David Cook, last years AI winner, is from my neck of the woods. I invested way too much time & energy watching that whole season, voting over & over & over, and finally blubbering like a baby when he won. I just can't do it again. Is Simon still a turkey? Bwah! Why do I even ask that?

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that little Charice is awesome! What a voice! If she'd been on AI last night, there would be no question about a winner.
I agree with Irene, that "The little red-headed girl" (Thank you Charlie Brown.), and Adam offered the most, and TT girl is adorable, and has a good voice, but her wiggles looked strangely awkward to me.
I also get really irritated at hearing, "You chose the wrong song" over, and over, and over. Why not just deal with the job they did with the song they DID choose?

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
David Cook, last years AI winner, is from my neck of the woods. I invested way too much time & energy watching that whole season, voting over & over & over, and finally blubbering like a baby when he won. I just can't do it again. Is Simon still a turkey? Bwah! Why do I even ask that?

I hear you! I did the same last year for our local boy, David A. I wasn't even going to watch AI last year until some tugger started a thread about him that got me curious and then I was hooked. Last night was the first night I watched and I missed part of it. I am not going to get sucked in again this year. (and yet here I am reading and posting in this thread--oh the shame :rolleyes: )