• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Girl Doll weekend in Chicago?

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister and I are planning to take her 6 year old daughter to Chicago in April to the American Girl Doll store and hopefully Mary Poppins. Whenever we go to Chicago we always stay at the Hyatt on Wacker but I am thinking that is too far away for my niece, not actually on Michigan Ave and further south. I am not sure she will be a great walking partner. So what hotel would you recommend that would be closer to the north end of Michigan Avenue that is reasonably priced? Any advice on how to DO the American Doll experience? I have sons so I have no experience with this fun girl stuff!! Can't wait!

Thanks!
Sue

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to the store with my daughter and its really awesome. Make reservations for the tea party/luncheon on the 3rd floor. Also plan to stop at the salon and let her get her doll's hair styled.

Bring money for the clothes, books, etc.

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

My daughter did the event at the NYC store and loved it. Get read to spend some big bucks in that store.

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chicago

The Hyatt is the best in the area. I know that doesnot help much, but I'd take a taxi and stay at the Hyatt. The others that are decent are in the same general area. Avoid the weekend before Thanksgiving at all cost. The School Board Convention is in town that weekend.

rvanfam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hotel help from a chicagoan

Try the Homewood Suites. On Grand, I think, just one block behind Michigan (as is American Girl) Nicer than a regular Homewood Suites plus a breakfast and you can walk right through the Michigan Ave Marriott to get there. Catty corner from Nordstroms.
Elaine

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Darn! I just checked Homewood Suites and they did not have any availability!
Any other hotels close to North Michigan Avenue that anyone can think of?

Sue

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten the Hyatt for $70 on Priceline. In big cities, I've had very good luck getting four-star hotels for great prices, and then I figure I can pay for taxis with what I've saved. Do you want to give it a try? Or have you looked on Hotwire for your dates?

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed frequently on Michigan AV through Priceline. There are many hotels in the area and if you bid 3 or 4* it should be good. When my daughter was younger she had her picture taken and they put it on an American Girl doll magazine. You should also do the play they have there. Last time I was there they had a sign at Water Tower Pace the the store was moving there but wht they would do that I have no idea.

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never used Priceline for hotels so this will be new for me. I will see if my sister is up for it. I am usually sort of controlling ;) so the not knowing part is kind of scarey for me but I am willing to try if she is. Like you said if we could save the money and use it for taxis we would be fine. I can see this is going to be a pricey weekend. My other sister may go as well and my nieces birthday will be shortly after our trip so we can give her doll stuff for her birthday! Three of us will probably be going and two of us have boys only so this is big fun for us!
Thanks for all of the tips so far!

Sue

klisow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wydham Chicago

I have made several trip to the American Doll Store with my daughters. In fact, I have spent many many hours there.

We have stayed at several places too. I personally would recommend the Wydham Chicago, it's less than a 1/3 of a mile away and a very nice hotel. It is definitely within walking distance for your niece. We also have stayed at the Hyatt on Wacker and at the Marriott, which are both nice, but I like the location of the Wydham for my daughters when they were young. In addition, it has a small indoor pool for your niece if she would like to swim.

I hope you have a great time during your visit. I am thinking of taking my daughters next month for a long weekend. Unfortunately, I don't think too much of our time will be spent at the AD store, as they are teenagers now, and shopping is what they do best. We do have 6 of the dolls though, and the itty bitty twins, and I have to say, they were a great investment, as they were played with a ton.

One thing we did before we went, on two different occasions, was to have dresses made for our daughters with matching outfits for their dolls. We picked up patterns from Jo Anns and had them made. Everyone stopped our girls and complimented them on their outfits. They also wore them on the plane and received so much extra attention. Just a cute idea that they still talk about today. It was much cheaper than buying the matching outfits from the AD store.

Have a great time!

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked and they move to Water Tower Place October 1st. Thats a shame and I wonder if they will have less services.

summervaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the other posters that you should definitely participate in the activities they offer. A friend of mine and I took our daughters and we made an entire day of it. When we first arrived, we browsed in the store until our scheduled brunch (make reservations). The brunch was alot of fun. They have little seats for the dolls and it is like a giant tea party for the girls. Of course, they dressed up to match their dolls for the event :)

After brunch, the girls AND the dolls got their hair done and their portraits taken. Soon after, we were on our way to the small theater to watch the American Girl play. It's a touchy, feely little thing that the kids will enjoy. Of course, by then the kids want to buy everything in sight (similar to Disney), so beware of that!! Also, everything else is also very expensive, but we were only planning on making the trip once so decided it would be worth it. Now, an American Girl place is opening in the Mall of America which is ten minutes from our house. I'm glad my daughter has outgrown it;)

By the time we left, it was time for dinner and it made for a very entertaining day.

For those of you thinking the entire thing sounds bizarre, it absolutely is. Throughout the entire day I was thinking "I can't believe I'm sitting at the same table as a doll dressed like my daughter" and "I can't believe I'm paying to have a doll's hair styled". So I'm not crazy. I was just an overly indulgent mother that day:hysterical:

Have a great time!!

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
susansam,

I think the Intercontinental is at the North end of Michigan Ave.

If Hyatt, taxi should not cost that much. Alternatively, this is FFN season and if you can find a standard award reservation, try to see if you can get a FFN before going and swap it over.

rvanfam

TUG Member
Reaction score
No more plays

Both of my daughters 21 and 14 had friends that were actors in the American girl doll plays. Greta Hays (friend of the older girl) was a star for years. Now I heard that when the store moves- no more plays. Didn't make enough money. Too bad.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I read that the American Girl store on 57th Street in Manhattan had the highest per-capita sales of any store on the whole street. (And 57th St. has some mighty fancy retailers.) It was staggering--something like an AVERAGE of $200 or $300 per person walking through the door. Not per customer.

Suesam, PM me if you want some help with Priceline in Chicago. I'll walk through it with you. I think there's actually a Priceline zone called Water Tower. What are the dates you will be going?

clsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
We've stayed at the Embassy Suites between Michigan Ave and the Navy Pier in early April with our kids. More space, free breakfast. And the Navy Pier is fun, even in early spring. The Park Hyatt would be closer and might have an American Girl deal.

Last edited: