• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Express Centurion- black card

seatrout

Reaction score
Does any tugger have one of these card??

Does anyone know iff the airline upgrade to firstclass for owner of this card apply to the entire immediate family member or only to the card holder and one companion.

Also what would we have to do to get invited to get a card

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to be in something like the top 1% of spenders to get the invite. It's very exclusive and very expensive.

There's a lot of discussion on this card on flyertalk's Amex forum. That would be your best bet to research your questions.

-David

Enrico

TUG Member
Reaction score
AMEX black card is a mysterious entity. Hard to get info regarding it....like they say, "if you have to ask....". Rumored minimum spending threshold is $1,000,000 per year.

seatrout

Reaction score
my employee has one from her husband jobs. They make less than 6figure.

I was told that you just get a platnium card and charge around 150K a year. After that you can charge less. Thus you can buy a large home improvement with the card, pay cash after

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The current minimum to obtain a Centurion card is $250,000 (up from $150,000) of spending per year. You must have had an AmEx card for at least a year and have charged at least $250,000 to AmEx in a 12-month period. If you cross that threshold with your AmEx card, you can call and ask for a switch to a Centurion card. They will do it, which also means an increase in annual fee to $2,500!

You can be invited to get the card by meeting other unpublished criteria, such as maintaining a large balance in an American Express Private Bank account.

Getting airline upgrades under the program is far from a sure thing. Generally, you are given elite status (not at the highest level) with several airlines (CO, DL and US), thus becoming eligible for possible upgrades under those programs.

As seatrout states, once you have the card, you don't need to continue meeting the eligibility criteria (such as spending $250K) to keep the card.

Enrico

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The $2,500 annual fee is what probably makes the card such a rarity!!!!!

seatrout

Reaction score
Thanks Dave

The employee that I have doesn't know how she got the card and really don't take advantage of it so she does not know the rule. Her husband always get the first class upgrade but they rarely travel as a family. I have a friend that also doesn't know how he got the invite. He think it is worth the fees as every where he goes he get upgrade to the penhouse suite for the regular room price.

the $2500 does pay for itself if you get upgrade to every hotel room to the concier level as well as first class seat on all you flight. If it is not a certainty as to the upgrade then it might not be worthwhile.

As to qualification--we just need to charge two of the week to Marco Island and would probably qualify:)

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
If any single female Tugger has the AmEx black card, please look me up....my mother used to say I should have been born a rich kid, here's my chance.

:wave:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get it from certain large brokerage firms -- the invitation is asset-based ($10MM or above, I think, but don't quote me on that), not spend-based.

Did anyone get the charter invite for Continental's new card? The fee is $350 (I think -- I threw mine away) and it looked to me like the only real benefits were a President's Club membership (I never arrive at the airport early enough to justify the cost ... and I get free coupons from time to time, which I save for delays) and the ability to use the Elite lanes at the airport (which isn't a benefit if you're already elite). Am I missing something?

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was also something about flex elite qualification miles, but that is useless to us as DH qualifies based on elite points, not miles. So we threw it away... Some folks over at Flyer Talk were jazzed up about it though. I just couldn't see it.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re Flex Elite Miles

Ah ... you're right, and I really wasn't sure what that meant. I qualify based on miles not points, so maybe I should have paid better attention! :eek:

Oh well, I love the card I use now. And, if it's like most credit card offers, 2847 more invitations will arrive!