• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Airlines Will Start Aggressively Auditing Carry On Bags November 1st

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just took a Hawaiian flight from Kona and they are weighing carry on bags, 25 lbs limit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great. I am flying AA from Miami to Buenos-Aires for a photography expedition. Trying to figure out how to pack and carry-on all the photo gear and have it look lightweight.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
There are not a lot of details in this article but the impression is that they will be enforcing carry on limits. To this I say “Yes!”. I have flown more flights for business than I can count and have always put one bag up top and my laptop under the seat in front. When I am traveling for more that a couple of days I check a bag because I know my bag is either too big or over weight. I have believed that if I didn’t I was taking room someone else had paid for.

I have seen soo many people with 3 large bags allowed to board and try to stuff everything overhead. It’s no wonder the majority of flights get the dreaded announcement that the overhead bins are full. In conversation with the gate agents they most often state it is not worth the trouble to confront passengers as they would need to do so with almost every second one.

IMHO airlines have brought this on themselves to a certain extent as they allowed this practice to continue as the checked bag fees were tightened and increased. There is no way that they could not have seen that people will opt for trying to carry on instead of paying to check a bag. And the rules for check bag limits/weight/size have never been very visible until you get to the gate. Yes it is listed in the online booking process but really, who ever reads everything?

Anyway, while I do agree with the tightening of the check in process for carry ons, I think this will be a struggle for AA to implement at this stage. Get ready for longer boarding processes as well as the arguments at the gate/check in counter.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
There are not a lot of details in this article but the impression is that they will be enforcing carry on limits. To this I say “Yes!”. I have flown more flights for business than I can count and have always put one bag up top and my laptop under the seat in front. When I am traveling for more that a couple of days I check a bag because I know my bag is either too big or over weight. I have believed that if I didn’t I was taking room someone else had paid for.

Anyway, while I do agree with the tightening of the check in process for carry ons, I think this will be a struggle for AA to implement at this stage. Get ready for longer boarding processes as well as the arguments at the gate/check in counter.

Have to agree the airlines brought this on themselves. But also include the "cheating" passengers. Can't wait for the mayhem at the gate LOL. Our recent return flight from a vacation, one young woman had a oversized carry on, a backpack that no way would fit under the seat, her "big bag purse", and the best scam I've seen a Pillow case with lumpy hard corners clearly visible LOL. As soon as these Basic cheater cheapskates pay a $100.00 bill at the gate...this will be brought under control. Until then, maybe their antics and loud complaining will get them kicked off the flight...more room for me lol.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
always wondered about some of the large things I saw people hauling around the airport after TSA check points

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
You bring up a good point Tia. Why are these people with items that are obviously way too large to be acceptable carry on allowed to pass through the TSA checkpoint?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The checkpoints are TSA security sites. Not the "oversized" humans or "oversized" bags. One ticket .. One breathing person .. with photo ID.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
One day I saw TSA stop a woman with a small roller suitcase, smaller carry on, and a little clutch purse. All around her were people pushing the envelope with as large as possible carry-ons and Alicia Silverstone and a travel companion each had huge duffel bags. TSA made the woman with the tiny third item put the little purse in her suitcase. Yeah, she had an extra item, but her little pile of luggage was dwarfed by one of the duffel bags. I am not happy with a weight requirement -- we can go for 3 weeks in regulation sized roll-aboards, but I guarantee they weigh more than 25 pounds. Packing for Australia and New Zealand, where IIRC the weight limit was something like 18 pounds, was a nightmare. That was 2009 and by now I can't recall if we just checked bags instead. We went first or business class (I'll stay home before I travel more than 6 hours in economy) so likely a checked bag was free anyway, but we prefer to hold on to our bags if we can. Although the last trip to Germany was very nice leaving the checked bags to the airline to shuffle from the flight to Dusseldorf and connection on to Munich (managed to arrive in Germany with a hotel just a few blocks from the Oktoberfest fair grounds without realizing it was Oktoberfest).

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I flew Norwegian a few weeks ago from Barcelona and they weighed our carry on bags at the checkin, then put tags on them indicating they were good to go. My laptop rolling bag is heavy and not sure if it will work in future. It’s a bit nuts what is going on with some flights but I totally agree the airlines have brought this on themselves, and yet they love it...more fees, another distraction of the real issues (crowding, less space, less amenities, etc).

FWIW, Norwegian Premium seat was good but service and food were not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tia

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyday I tease my kids because their school backpacks are too heavy for carryon. Whenever I lift it to put it in the trunk I tell them “madam, you’re going to have to check this.”

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Everyday I tease my kids because their school backpacks are too heavy for carryon. Whenever I lift it to put it in the trunk I tell them “madam, you’re going to have to check this.”
Just got back from Maui on Alaska Air. We are the scofflaws, cheaters, etc. My daughter's backpack (aka bookbag), weighed at least 30 lbs. The bellman at the Marriott joked that she packed it full of sand. We also had 3 carry ons that weighed 20-30lbs each, with the expando zippers bulging the bags beyond 9" wide with macadamia nut chocolates, cameras, and other souvenirs. Those roller bags "sneaked" through. On the way, they announced asking if people would volunteer to "gate check" their roller bags and we gladly agreed. They thanked us for doing so. On the way back we went straight to the gate agent asking if they were checking bags and again, they said yes, absolutely.

Strange system that they charge $30/bag to check bags before security, and free if you check it at the gate. Saved $180. Still better than the Spirit (now AA) airline model.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Last month I was on two AA flights (domestic and international) and neither checked anyone’s carry-on bag weight, as far as I could see. They certainly didn’t check mine.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
All overhead airlines luggage bins are not the same size.IMO. The 25lbs weight restrictions could become a problem. I usually packed my jewelry, electronics gears, one day change of cloths and my medicine in my carry on luggage.

Is the 25lbs for carry on luggage the new industry standard?

Last edited:

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
they announced asking if people would volunteer to "gate check" their roller bags and we gladly agreed.
I have done this with Delta on many shorter flights where we are on the regional jets. In my experience Delta does this with almost all domestic flights, I’m not sure about international.

As pedro47 points out, not all overhead bins are equal and in the regional jets they are quite a bit smaller. My overhead carry on is a struggle to put there in these and gate checking is always a welcome advantage.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
All overhead airlines luggage bins are not the same size.IMO. The 25lbs weight restrictions could become a problem. I usually packed my jewelry, electronics gears, one day change of cloths and my medicine in my carry on luggage.

Is the 25lbs for carry on luggage the new industry standard?

Several European carriers limit carry on to 7kg. Try to make that work!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just got back from a short trip flying AA - basic economy. Definitely something that I never thought I would do, but for a short trip I would absolutely do it again. I saw one sizer check at the check in kiosks, but it seemed to be the passenger checking vs the staff asking him to check.

Re: basic economy. You get a carry on, the airline assigns your seat, but you board in group 9. I didn't even know that there was a group 9! Both of my flights were full so my bag was gate checked at no cost for both legs. I did have a middle both times, but switched for a window on the outbound flight and I had a middle in the main cabin extra (extra leg room) on the return flight. I almost always have a middle as my husband always has the aisle, so I am used to this. I flew to Phoenix - 1 hour flight. I can do anything for an hour. Basic economy was $127, main cabin was just over $300. That makes it an easy choice for me. My favorite part was boarding last. I just waited until there was no line, boarded, sat down, and we left. Perfect.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I always say that this is why the free checked bags policy on Southwest is valuable to us, despite the fact that we've never checked a bag when flying with them. Because they don't charge for checked bags, there is never a shortage of overhead bin space for our carryon bags. On other airlines, checked bag fees make a lot of others join us in packing only carryon bags - but a lot of them aren't nearly as good at it as we are ;-)

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
The weight limit can be a problem for photographers. Some airlines only allow 7.5 Kg (15.4 Lb). Others allow 10 Kg (22 Lb), and others 12 Kg (26.4 Lb), and so on. Photographers don't necessarily have an oversized carry-on, but frequently have a heavy one. This is the method I use.

- If items aren't valuable and/or breakable, put them in your checked luggage
- Travel with a wheeled carry-on that meets the size requirements
- I don't like carrying heavy bags so I use a wheeled carry-on

- Search on the Internet "ebags.com" for a light-weight wheeled carry-on (Hard to find. I found one that has four wheels and only weighs 4.4 Lb. After many years of traveling, I don't want much weight on my shoulders anymore)

- Purchase a photography vest with large pockets - the vest can be considered a coat
- Load the pockets with heavy lenses and camera bodies
- Fold up the vest and make sure it fits in the carry-on, along with other belongings
- Without the vest in the carry-on, make sure the carry-on meets the weight requirements
- Put the vest back in the carry-on and go to the airport
- Before you approach the check-in desk, remove the vest, and wear it, or put it over your arm
- Your carry-in may be weighed and and a sticker might be placed on your carry-on (this will allow you to carry it on the plane)
- Leave the desk, fold up your vest, and place it back in the carry-on
- Make sure you aren't stretching the limits on the size of the carry-on or you may have it weighed a second time at the gate.
- If you are on a small plane where you have to gate check your carry-on, you can remove the vest with your expensive and fragile equipment, and wear it onto the plane
- Make sure you get on the Internet and research the weight limits on the airlines for all legs of the journey

The reason you may want to do this, is if you have expensive and fragile equipment that can't be put in the checked luggage.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, RCI
I have worked as a contractor doing background investigations for security clearances. There are times I am sent on "temporary duty" to other locations to help with work backlogs. The company requires that all necessary paperwork containing personally identifiable information, my gov't issued laptop and various security devices all accompany me as carry-on. I have talked to supervisors about the need for some sort of issued document letting the airline know I must keep this carry on back with me (and in my line of vision) at all times, but so far we are on our own to explain that to the gate agents. I've already given up my personal carry on space in order to comply with my work, but I can tell you that although the carry-on I use is small, it can weigh an awful lot!

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since i almost always fly Spirit or Allegiant airlines on vacation i am used to paying for checked bags "cheaper" and Having a lower wt limit 40 Lbs, So American Airlines i feel your pain/sympathize. However i agree with most of you that the airlines created this monster with free checked bags and fly delta for work a lot and notice the curly bag shuffle trying to stuff heavy overstuffed bags into the packed overhead bins. This slows down the boarding/deplaning process and i somewhat welcome the possible improvement of this AA airlines policy. It could get interesting/entertaining to watch it play out.

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just venting...I wish that there would be some uniform standard for all airlines for size and weight of carry on pieces. I wish that those standards would be in effect for a few years. I had to give up my 24 in pieces for 22 in to comply with overhead bins. Now apparently I have to ditch these for 22 inch pieces for plastic bags to keep from being over weight with my good brand of durable luggage. Happy that I am at the end of my international vacation trips. Within the country..I'll just drive and take whatever I want.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Just flew on AA yesterday (YYZ>MIA>BZE) and they were not checking anybody's carry-ons for weight or size on either of our flights. The gate desk employees at YYZ did ask for volunteers to gate check their carry-ons (of course with no charge & through to the final destination) and quite a few people did, including us.

~Diane

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Emirates flight departing Dubai on Dec. 28th was checking the weight of all carry-ons. I was way over at +23kgs (carry-on & back pack) until they looked at my boarding pass and said "Oh you are business class, go ahead". Not sure what they would have done other than make me check a bag. Loaded up in duty free pushing the limits of alcohol as I headed back to Dhaka.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Emirates flight departing Dubai on Dec. 28th was checking the weight of all carry-ons. I was way over at +23kgs (carry-on & back pack) until they looked at my boarding pass and said "Oh you are business class, go ahead". Not sure what they would have done other than make me check a bag. Loaded up in duty free pushing the limits of alcohol as I headed back to Dhaka.

I flew out of Dubai on flyDubai a couple of weeks ago in economy and was way over the limit (since it was quite low, and my bag, laptop and accessories is over the limit), and my friend had a backpack that must have weighed 35 lbs... no question, no problem, not even a glance at the bags. We were both surprised. It seems many airlines simply post carry on limits in the event they need to impose the restriction but often simply won’t.