• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amazon Kindle Owners Should Download This Update Immediately

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Amazon Kindle Owners Should Download This Update Immediately- by John Patrick Pullen/ Tech/ Fortune/ fortune.com

"Get it before March 22.

Kindle lovers, beware: there’s a mandatory update to your beloved e-reader, and if you don’t install it by March 22, you’re going to end up with a blank slate.

The update is necessary for downloading books from the cloud, accessing the Kindle Store, and use other Kindle services moving forward.

“The update will ensure their device is operating with the latest software, and that it remains compliant with continuously evolving industry standard,” says Amazon AMZN -1.32% spokesperson Kinley Pearsall..."

131217200022-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-on-the-go-620xa11.png

Courtesy: Amazon

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just downloaded my Update.

Go to Settings->Device Options ->System Updates

Took a few minutes to download. Glad to have the update finished.

Richard

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, they are not giving us much notice to update.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Shouldn't this happen automatically when you turn it on?

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine did not happen immediately. I got a paper postcard in the mail yesterday telling me to do it. They said they emailed me but I never saw it unless it went to spam.
I saw a notice when I opened up Amazon.

bryanphunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Westin Kierland Villa
Kauai Beach Villa
It will automatically update with newer versions of the kindle. This update is necessary for 2012 or earlier models.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shouldn't this happen automatically when you turn it on?

I think some models update automatically. Mine didn't. I had to do it manually as described in my previous post.

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx for posting. I have one of those old keyboard models stuffed in a drawer somewhere, that will need this- or it will be reincarnated as a doorstop.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Thx for posting. I have one of those old keyboard models stuffed in a drawer somewhere, that will need this- or it will be reincarnated as a doorstop.
Mine was already reincarnated as a doorstop. The screen quit working after about two years and the best Amazon would do for me was give me $15 off whatever refurb models they happened to have on hand at the time, and then only if I paid to ship it back to them. Have done my reading on Android tablets ever since.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I dug the old antique out. The screen said that the battery was dead- no surprise there. I didn't know if it would take a charge, so plugged it in, and lo and behold it seems to be charging. It took a few minutes to remember even how to turn it on and find it's menu. Success! Next, in the time since it had been used, I've changed routers, so had to set it up on the new wi-fi.

The menu says it's updated, but who knows whether it's the current critical one or leftover from previous year's updates? I guess if it still works next week, all is well. If not, will it matter? I do my reading on a Kindle Fire now anyway.

Jim

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Mine updated automatically but needed to check DH's - he had the update but your info told me how to check!:cheer:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
THANKS! I leave for Florida this weekend so I would have been very sad.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Thanks for the reminder. I needed to find mine to update.

TSVon

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks.
btw - not all Kindles have the same path to update.
Settings - Device Options - then List (upper right corner) - Upgrade...

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My husband and I just updated our kindle fires. They are new- purchased just before XMAS. There is nothing on my Kindle paperwhite that shows a link to update. Went onto settings and all that- nothing there for updates.

Since January, there has been a message on my home page that says my kindle paperwhite has been updated. :shrug:

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Yikes!

This is the first I'm hearing about any updates. Couldn't easily find my way into settings, but poked around enough to find a page called Device. Under Device is a header called System Version. There is a grayed out button that says "Update your Kindle". Under the words System Version it says Current Version: 6.3.4_user_4120720. I'm hoping that the grayed out button means I am updated. Can anyone confirm this? About 3 weeks ago I ordered a free sample of a multi-book series from Amazon, I wonder if the upgrade happened automatically at that time? My Kindle Fire was bought in Dec. 2011.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Also, for the last 6-8 weeks my icons gray themselves out when my power gets below 30% or so. Makes it tough to find a game or book. Wonder if that is related?

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
I think I need some help with this too. I found a grayed out that says "Update your kindle" but since it's grayed out I can't click on it.

This is an older Kindle

on the bottom it says Version: Kindle 3.4.2
what do I do???

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to update an antique Kindle thru its settings menu. Nothing happened. Subsequently I found the procedure.

1. Download the update file from Amazon and save it on your computer.
(the format for Kindle updates is always update_kindle_[version number].bin).

2. Once the download is complete, attach your Kindle to your computer and copy the update .BIN file to the root directory of your Kindle.

3. Once the file is placed in the root directory of your Kindle, you simply instruct the Kindle to update via the Kindle’s menu system. Unmount the Kindle from your computer and then navigate, on the Kindle, to Menu -> Settings to enter the settings menu, then tap the Menu button again from within the settings menu and select Update Your Kindle". Press OK and then wait.

4. After your Kindle reboots (it might take a minute or longer to finish rebooting and updating), repeat the version check process by looking in the Device Info menu. You should see the updated version number.

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just found this on Amazon:
It says which version is needed for each Kindle. the 3.4.2 is what is on mine.
So I am assuming it upgraded automatically that's why it was grayed out.

The following devices require the latest software version:

Device and Year

Software Version Your Device Needs

Update via Wireless (2G/3G) or Wi-Fi

Kindle 1st Generation (2007) 1.2.1 Use Wireless
Kindle 2nd Generation (2009) * 2.5.8 Use Wireless
Kindle DX 2nd Generation (2009) * 2.5.8 Use Wireless
Kindle Keyboard 3rd Generation (2010) ** 3.4.2 or higher Use Wi-Fi
Kindle 4th Generation (2011) 4.1.3 or higher Use Wi-Fi
Kindle 5th Generation (2012) 4.1.3 or higher Use Wi-Fi
Kindle Touch 4th Generation (2011) ** 5.3.7.3 or higher Use Wi-Fi
Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation (2012) ** 5.6.1.1 or higher Use Wi-Fi
Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation (2013) No Update Needed No Update Needed
Kindle 7th Generation (2014) No Update Needed No Update Needed
Kindle Voyage 7th Generation (2014) No Update Needed No Update Needed
Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation (2015) No Update Needed No Update Needed

* For these devices, even if you are running software version 2.5.8, if you have not connected to wireless (2G/3G) since October 5, 2015, please connect now.

** For these devices, even if your device has built-in 3G, you will need to connect to Wi-Fi to receive the latest software update.

If you are not sure which Kindle e-reader you have, please consult Which Kindle E-reader do I have?

Update Your Kindle E-Reader via Wi-Fi

If your Kindle e-reader does not have the latest software version, connect your device to Wi-Fi to receive the software update.

To update your Kindle once connected to Wi-Fi:
1. From the Home screen of your Kindle, select Menu or tap the Menu icon, and then choose Sync and Check for Items.
2. Plug your Kindle in, and leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to a Wi-Fi network overnight.

While asleep, the software update will download and install automatically. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process.

You will get a final confirmation letter titled 03-2016 Successful Update on your device when the update is complete. You can find the letter on your device by viewing all items in your Kindle Library, and then sorting the items by Recent.

If you’re not sure if your device has the latest version, go to Determine Your Kindle E-Reader Software Version.

Update Your Kindle E-Reader via Wireless

If your Kindle (1st Generation) does not have the latest software version, ensure your device is connected wirelessly, and then sync your Kindle. If your Kindle (2nd Generation) or Kindle DX (2nd Generation) does not have the latest software version, or if you have not connected to wireless (2G/3G) since October 5, 2015, ensure your device is connected wirelessly, and then sync your Kindle.

To sync your Kindle: • Kindle (1st Generation)
1. Move the wireless switch on the back of your Kindle to the ON position.
2. From the Home screen of your Kindle, select Menu, and then choose Check for New Items.
3. Plug your Kindle in, and leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to its wireless network overnight.

• Kindle (2nd Generation) or Kindle DX (2nd Generation)
1. From the Home screen of your Kindle, press the Menu button.
2. Select Turn Wireless On with the 5-way controller.
3. Press the Menu button again and select Sync & Check for Items.
4. Plug your Kindle in, and leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to its wireless network overnight.

While asleep, the software update will download and install automatically. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process.

You will get a final confirmation letter titled 03-2016 Successful Update on your device when the update is complete. You can find the letter on your device by viewing all items in your Kindle Library, and then sorting the items by Recent.

If you’re not sure if your device has the latest version, go to Determine Your Kindle E-Reader Software Version.

Deregister Your Kindle E-Reader if You No Longer Have It

If you no longer have your Kindle e-reader, you can deregister the device from Manage Your Content and Devices.

To deregister your device:
1. Go to Manage Your Content and Devices.
2. Select the Your Devices tab, choose the device you want to deregister, and then click Deregister.
3. Click Deregister again to confirm.

Determine Your Kindle E-Reader Software Version

To determine if you need to update your software, check the current software version on your device:

• Determine Your Kindle (1st Generation) Software Version
• Determine Your Kindle (2nd Generation) Software Version
• Determine Your Kindle DX (2nd Generation) Software Version
• Determine Your Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation) Software Version
• Determine Your Kindle Touch (4th Generation) Software Version
• Determine Your Kindle (5th Generation) Software Version
• Determine Your Kindle Paperwhite (5th Generation) Software Version

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is giving me a headache. You would think Amazon would have sent emails to their Kindle customers about it.

I don't know which version my paperwhite is. I just know it says it was updated in January. I am going to forget abut it and see what happens. My hunch is nothing.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann, neither your Paperwhite nor your Fires are affected by this update. They are all too new. Take aspirin for your headache and call in sick in the morning and curl up with a book.

Jim

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just downloaded my Update.

Go to Settings->Device Options ->System Updates

Took a few minutes to download. Glad to have the update finished.

Richard
Richard, my Kindle is Version 3.4.2. Under settings I only have Device Name, not Options - how do I update my Kindle? Thanks. Elli

P.S. In Post 20 it mentions to click on "Sync", which I did, and on the top line appeared: "No New Items" - does that mean it upgraded automatically?

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
After reading this yesterday and pulling our hair out (yes, we are now bald) because we couldn't seem to get into the device to the proper spot (not unusual, we still have flip phones), we contacted a friend who abandoned "real books" years ago. She said as long as we've been connected to the Internet recently, we have the proper updates. We will now proceed to stop worrying about it, but that scream you hear emanating from 35,000 feet above you in a few days may be me on the way home from Kaanapali when I realize my Kindle is dead. Faith

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After doing all that research last night, looked on the first page where the ebooks are listed when they are sent and there was a email saying that kindle was updated.