• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amazing Amazon Fire Tablet 10 with Alexa

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For years I thought of Amazon tablets as nothing really too useful. I ended up with a new Fire Tablet 10 for Christmas. Finally have Alexa figured out. Recently installed a 512 g sd card and have downloaded maybe 100 hours of programming and a few books. I think this is so much easier than using the Ipads we have. I was able to download the google play store and grab some of the apps I need that were not available at Amazon.

This will be my new travel device if all goes well next trip.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Interesting. My husband uses his old fire tablet- mainly for crossword puzzles. LOL!

I haven't used mine in a very long time. I also have not used my paper white in a very long time. Just got away from it.

Always on my phone and laptop.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I love my Fire tablets. I have 2, the 8" and the 10". Combined with Amazon Prime you can get great content. I haven't paid for a book in years and I'm an avid reader. I also download movies or series episodes just before we travel to watch on the plane. When in airplane mode I can watch what I download for a good 7 hours. But, I will admit I have never tried using an app from the Google Play Store. Sounds like it's worth checking out.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting. My husband uses his old fire tablet- mainly for crossword puzzles. LOL!

I haven't used mine in a very long time. I also have not used my paper white in a very long time. Just got away from it.

Always on my phone and laptop.

Interesting. I haven't found the crosswords yet but I did download a couple poker games. I need an offline game.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love my Fire tablets. I have 2, the 8" and the 10". Combined with Amazon Prime you can get great content. I haven't paid for a book in years and I'm an avid reader. I also download movies or series episodes just before we travel to watch on the plane. When in airplane mode I can watch what I download for a good 7 hours. But, I will admit I have never tried using an app from the Google Play Store. Sounds like it's worth checking out.

My plan was airplane trips but now I think I'm ditching the laptop and Ipad all together. I didn't try to bluetooth the Fire Tablet to the tv yet but the mini usb to hdmi cord will work for connecting the two.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 8" Fire tabs. I find them perfect for travel. Don't know why I bought 2. I thought the 2nd one was a new model, I guess. Anyway, they have books, movies, do email, TUG, and about a million other things easier than the iPad I had before. Only PITA is getting apps and upgrades thru Amazon app store instead of Google play and not using Chrome instead of Silk.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
You can install Play store..........and then install what you will (or sideload)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I use a Samsung tablet. My DW uses a monster 17" laptop.
I am amazed that she packs it up and takes it anywhere.
But it is convenient to have a computer away from home.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have 2 8" Fire tabs. I find them perfect for travel. Don't know why I bought 2. I thought the 2nd one was a new model, I guess. Anyway, they have books, movies, do email, TUG, and about a million other things easier than the iPad I had before. Only PITA is getting apps and upgrades thru Amazon app store instead of Google play and not using Chrome instead of Silk.

I watched a you tube video with directions to install the google play store. I have only added chrome and gogo flight entertainment so far. The poker games in the Amazon store are only so so, so I might have to use the play store. I added express vpn today and check the ip address and it worked. I did this so I can use Amazon videos and Netflix in Mexico.

I like telling Alexa to play what ever I want to hear instead of looking for it.

Bill

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I use an older 8 to read TUG at night, play slots, and watch video on the plane. It's so much easier to pack when traveling. Also take a light Chromebook most of the time. I need to figure out Google Play Store and Chrome on the Fire. Glad to hear it works.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I use a Samsung tablet. My DW uses a monster 17" laptop.
I am amazed that she packs it up and takes it anywhere.
But it is convenient to have a computer away from home.

Funny. Same with me! I have a 17 inch laptop and I prefer to use it over anything else, unless I have no internet, and then it's my tiny IPHONE SE, soon to be "upgraded" to a 6 S Plus (which I used to have from my job). Son gave it to me for XMAS but right now with moving and all I do not want to play around with a new phone and risk losing my contacts and emails and texts and all that stuff. Have enough chaos going on.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the YouTube clue, Bill. I'll do that when we get home. I actually get along fine with Silk, but tire of the ads.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
My laptop hasn't seen the light of day in years. It's been idle so long it's still on Win XP. I do most everything on my 8" Sammy Tab A now (usually in the livingroom in front of the tv) and only go to my desktop for the more extensive stuff like programming, involved word processing and spreadsheets. On the road, if I can't do it on my tablet or phone, it doesn't get done.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Funny. Same with me! I have a 17 inch laptop and I prefer to use it over anything else, unless I have no internet, and then it's my tiny IPHONE SE, soon to be "upgraded" to a 6 S Plus (which I used to have from my job). Son gave it to me for XMAS but right now with moving and all I do not want to play around with a new phone and risk losing my contacts and emails and texts and all that stuff. Have enough chaos going on.

I like my 17 inch laptop over any device for the internet. I was using a 15 inch hp laptop for travel but we were taking the ipads for the flight. My wife like her ipad but uses her phone alot.

Now it is just going to be this Fire Tablet for travel. I really like the Amazon music I get with prime. I get a kick out of Alexa telling a joke for an alarm. New toy for now.

Bill

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

The iPhone 6 was cut off from receiving the iOS 13 update, and it's likely the 6S may not make the cut for iOS 14 in 2020. Without software support, your device will slowly become less secure and die. These phones are also not waterproof, and their camera tech isn't as refined as newer models.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The iPhone 6 was cut off from receiving the iOS 13 update, and it's likely the 6S may not make the cut for iOS 14 in 2020. Without software support, your device will slowly become less secure and die. These phones are also not waterproof, and their camera tech isn't as refined as newer models.

So are you saying my older model SE is better than the 6S Plus?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Last year my husband wanted to upgrade his Kindle Fire 7 to have something with longer battery life and a bigger screen. Wyndham gave the Kindle Fire 7's to the owners attending the annual owners meeting in Orlando in 2017. That was really convenient because his Nook had just died and he was looking at replacement options. The following year I finally gave in and got a Kindle Fire 8 for myself. Yeah, I was one of those I want to hold a real book in my hands people but soon learned to love my Kindle Fire 8. He thought he would be happy with one like mine and had me searching on eBay and Amazon. I saw that Best Buy had the Kindle Fire 10 on sale and sent him to look at it even though he said he didn't need it for the $50 difference in price between the 8 and the 10. I told him that for as much as he uses his Kindle it was well worth the extra money if he liked it and to hold it up next to the 8 to really compare the difference. He came home with the 10 like I expected him to. After I got a look at it I wanted one too so he went back the same day to buy one for me.

We too have 17" laptop that we take with us most of the time when we drive to a resort but not when we fly now that we have our Kindle Fire 10s. They don't do everything our laptop does and we did talk about getting a smaller laptop but decided were good with the Kindle Fire 10's until our laptop dies. We really appreciate being able to leave the laptop at home when we fly due to its size and weight. We also like that our Kindles fit nicely in the safes in the units.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My wifes 6splus was splashed and died. She took it in after we bought a couple of LG 8 thinq smart phones. They were on sale so why not I guess. We really like these phones. Anyway, it cost about $100 to fix the 6splus. We gave it to our grandson. He really likes it. He is 12.

When I was 12 we had a tin cans tied together with a string. Range was not so good.

Bill

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Not a tablet but we have purchased at least 6 fire sticks. Easy to use but they eat batteries and brake. Do to their complete lack of reliability we would not purchase a Fire product again.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

They were both made about the same time. I think the SE is about 6 months newer than the 6S Plus. The 6S Plus is just larger. Supposedly next year they are making a new SE for those of us who like smaller phones. It will be a little larger than the current SE, but not too much.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not a tablet but we have purchased at least 6 fire sticks. Easy to use but they eat batteries and brake. Do to their complete lack of reliability we would not purchase a Fire product again.
We have our fire stick powered by the usb cord to the tv. I like it because we can use cyber flixs. I take it to resorts in the USA. In Mexico I had problems because much of the programming is country sensitive and I don't have a VPN on it.

Regarding this new fire tablet the new problem for me is it doesn't hook up to the tv. I'm glad I brought my ipad, lol.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After using this new firetablet10 for 3 weeks I wouldn't buy another. It's really handy but has drawbacks. The auto correct feature is driving me crazy. No HDMI port.

Bill

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
After using this new firetablet10 for 3 weeks I wouldn't buy another. It's really handy but has drawbacks. The auto correct feature is driving me crazy. No HDMI port.

Bill

I bought two 10" Kindle Fires last fall. We love them for reading (inside), watching movies on a plane, and some surfing when on the couch, but we are laptop people. At home I use a 15.6' laptop but also have a 13' Ultrabook that I use for one volunteer job and to take on vacation. (I copy all the documents from my daily computer to a SD card so that I have all my info on vacation.) I also have an iPad mini.. We have tried to keep up with technology, but a laptop with an HDMI cable rules! (As does a regular Kindle when reading on the beach or by the pool.) So, when we go on vacation we have our electronics bag with lots of stuff. My minimum is the 13" laptop (with HDMI cable) and a Kindle Paperwhite. The other stuff is nice, but optional. :)