• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I the only one that thinks the States going broke is worse than losing less than 1% of the population?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I really think shutting down for 2 months was the most amount of time that we could possibly give without have HUGE economical repercussions. I know the argument that we can get an economy back, but not a person. The thing that I feel that a lot of people aren't seeing is exactly what it means when the state doesn't have any more money. I'm a teacher so I see first hand where that money goes. I also see how much everyone sucks at math. I have maybe 15 parents out of 150 that can help their kid out with Algebra 1 with the schools closed and that's middle school!

Most of my salary comes from Florida's sales tax and tourism. Florida doesn't have a state income tax. I just got a letter from my union that even though the budget was approved for schools for next year, they are going to have to modify it in response to COVID meaning jobs will be cut. Kids struggle enough as it is when schools are fully open with a class size of 25. If they cut positions and raise the class sizes to 30-40 kids, these kids are going to learn maybe 60% of what they normally would with the level of distraction that having that many kids in 1 class would cause. I see maybe 30% of the population of kids being on grade level because of educated parents and the kids that don't have individual help at home will fall further behind. I don't mean to sound hateful towards older and at risk people, but kids and education take priority over grandma and if we stay closed much longer we won't be able to keep all of our teachers, firefighters and police officers, which are ESSENTIAL and employed by the state.

We need a balance!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
i want to include this thought as well. In all likelihood, social distancing is going to be with us for quite a while. Among other things, that means class sizes are going to have to get smaller.

Factor that into this consideration....

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I give this thread about an hour before it gets locked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well let's see if we can avoid that and have a good conversation shall we?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I understand what you are saying. But I am one of the Grandma age group. Being careful and following the guidelines for now. Most everyone wants schools to reopen, but since it’s May already, the state might wait til August to reopen schools. All of us feel this loss of freedom and cannot wait til things get back to normal or at least heading that way. What grade do you teach? Are you doing virtual class room ? I wish you good health and safety until we can open up and go back to school.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
All jobs and businesses are essential btw. Not just public jobs.

I think the country should be opened now. Something is not right with this whole thing.I will even go as far to say we probably should have never shut down the country at all.

The leaders did wrong by the people in long term care facilities, which are locked down yet the majority of deaths in practically every state have been in nursing homes.

Hello Depression and goodbye America. And - yes- I feel very sorry for our youth and young adults who have to postpone their life plans.

*Please no one argue with me. This is my opinion and others can state their’s. Not going to change my mind.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am honestly despondent right now. I live in IL. A few days ago our governor unveiled his 5 stage re-opening plan. Stage 5 (back to normal) requires a vaccine or a therapeutic treatment. Until then, we cannot have any groups of people over 50. So -- there will be no school as we once knew in IL until there is a vaccine. Yet, I only see a minority of residents in IL that seems particularly upset. I don't understand how society is accepting this. We are just not going to property educate our children next academic year (or longer) while our neighboring states get back to work? Children in IL are just going get an unequal education?

Beyond that, it will be MONTHS before we even get to stages 3 and 4 with the markers that our governor has put into place.

I do not see how certain businesses such as gyms, restaurants, etc can possibly survive. They need quantity of people to make their margins. So no movies in IL either? NUTS.

And what kind of life is my elderly mother having locked in her assisted living facility with no contact w/her children and grandchildren?

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Well let's see if we can avoid that and have a good conversation shall we?

I suppose it’s possible!

Prioritizing the economy over people in this manner confirms that our economy wasn’t all that strong to begin with, many states can’t afford unemployment of their residents so want to open up to avoid that liability, and knowing that people will die from this action means this is ethically immoral. But of course, somehow we have to open up in a safe manner consistent with the recommendations of the scientists and medical advisors. Sadly, that’s not what we are doing since none of the states opening up met those requirements. It is inevitable that the infection numbers will increase.

Knowing this, how can we possibly have large classes? Open gyms? Movie theatres? It’s just absurd.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I agree with @WinniWoman the country should have never been shut down. It felt like the sledgehammer approach. I feel like I live in a third world country where the only solution they could come up with was to keep people away from each other. I expected more from our government. This has been such a disappointment. I have lost all faith in our country.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
** I am going to add that I am so concerned by what is happening in IL that my mind has been tossing all day about scrambling to move this summer so that my daughter can properly finish HS in a different state. This is so out of character for me to even think this way - so it's an indication of how despondent I feel right now.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
All I was saying that if they cut education more than they have, expect only maybe 20% of kids currently in high school to be able to finish college. I taught Algebra 1 this year and those kids are going to do TERRIBLY on the SAT. Schools shut down right when we started quadratics and the SAT has at least 5 questions on that topic alone. I have them on Khan Academy because that was the best substitute I could find, but kids need face to face.

I usually teach Chemistry, but I help kids with their SAT because I teach 11th graders and am good in math. The kids that are in Algebra 1 or Geometry right now are going to do terribly on the SAT nationwide. If it gets economically worse than 2008, we will have to raise class sizes, cut planning periods, freeze raises, lay off elective teachers. They already limit our paper when times are good. I have to spend $200/year on calculators and $100 year on lab supplies out of pocket already.

They will also have to reduce our police force and cut spending there as well. I don't know how budgets are because I don't work for the police, but I'd imagine it's going to be hit hard too. I think we'll have a way to fight this virus by the time school starts back up, but the financial backlash is what scares me. I couldn't care less about getting sick.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
All I was saying that if they cut education more than they have, expect only maybe 20% of kids currently in high school to be able to finish college. I taught Algebra 1 this year and those kids are going to do TERRIBLY on the SAT. Schools shut down right when we started quadratics and the SAT has at least 5 questions on that topic alone. I have them on Khan Academy because that was the best substitute I could find, but kids need face to face.

I usually teach Chemistry, but I help kids with their SAT because I teach 11th graders and am good in math. The kids that are in Algebra 1 or Geometry right now are going to do terribly on the SAT nationwide. If it gets economically worse than 2008, we will have to raise class sizes, cut planning periods, freeze raises, lay off elective teachers. They already limit our paper when times are good. I have to spend $200/year on calculators and $100 year on lab supplies out of pocket already.

They will also have to reduce our police force and cut spending there as well. I don't know how budgets are because I don't work for the police, but I'd imagine it's going to be hit hard too. I think we'll have a way to fight this virus by the time school starts back up, but the financial backlash is what scares me. I couldn't care less about getting sick.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some students, perhaps many, need an extra year of school to make up for the lost time.

I think we all understand the importance of having the economy moving so that all expenses, not just schools, can be paid. But, it’s difficult to do this during an epidemic. Either we accept that the virus can spread quickly and make things much, much worse than they have been yet by opening up completely or we follow the advice of the experts and open up cautiously...and be prepared to close again when the Rt spread goes over or near 1. We have to be very careful until we have a vaccine, or else it will just come roaring back and overwhelm us. Where would the economy be then?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweden thought shutting down their economy was worse than the disease. They were pilloried.

Now the World Health Organization is suggesting Sweden is a model for re-opening. (Kind of a suggestion that shutdowns may have been a mistake).

What Sweden understood from the beginning that politicians in many countries are just now understanding is that "flattening the curve" just takes us back to square one -- 4 to 6 months later when the same decisions need to be made; i.e., shutdown the economy again (and again) until a vaccine is developed, or choose the "Swedish model" of sensible precautions while keeping schools, businesses, and the economy moving along.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I should add that before covid and the government lock downs, I more or less was a good patriot. I used to think that the USA was the best country on earth and in history. I had faith in the economy and the government. I have lost my faith. I feel like anything could happen now. The 2008 financial collapse did not make me lose my faith. I believed back then that it was a temporary recession and we would come out of it. I am not so optimistic now. I feel the science is backwards and the medical experts do not know what they are doing. This loss of faith in the science is really disconcerting to me. I was always a big believer in evidence based medicine and science.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
** I am going to add that I am so concerned by what is happening in IL that my mind has been tossing all day about scrambling to move this summer so that my daughter can properly finish HS in a different state. This is so out of character for me to even think this way - so it's an indication of how despondent I feel right now.

Over the summer, make her do the SAT practice on Khan Academy. They have both sections on there. When you get a question wrong, it generates the solution and a different but similar question. It's easy to make a 1200/1600 if you study.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
All jobs and businesses are essential btw. Not just public jobs.

I think the country should be opened now. Something is not right with this whole thing.I will even go as far to say we probably should have never shut down the country at all.

The leaders did wrong by the people in long term care facilities, which are locked down yet the majority of deaths in practically every state have been in nursing homes.

Hello Depression and goodbye America. And - yes- I feel very sorry for our youth and young adults who have to postpone their life plans.

*Please no one argue with me. This is my opinion and others can state their’s. Not going to change my mind.
I agree! Absolutely. Every word you said.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I want to give praise for the restraint being shown here. THIS is an example of how it should work on th e TUG Lounge. It's a place where a person may express thoughts and feelings -- without fear of being criticized or judged.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I have Math 6-12, Biology, Chemistry and Elementary on my teaching certificate and for the first time ever, I'm somewhat worried about my employment. I might go take Physics just to be safe, but I'd have to memorize like 30 formulas and they all look like this:
1588904678124.png

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
First, I want to give praise for the restraint being shown here. THIS is an example of how it should work on th e TUG Lounge. It's a place where a person may express thoughts and feelings -- without fear of being criticized or judged.
Yes, I hope it stays that way.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

It’s going to be just fine as long as it stays as is...a place to vent frustrations and not actually debate the issue. That’s what this thread is, and I totally respect that. I’ll refrain from any additional comments about the merits of the situation, though I may also complain a little (I’m beyond frustrated myself, but I haven’t posted personal issues on TUG and limited myself to the issues that face the country and the world).

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
As a practical manner which of your 100 friends and relatives are you willing to have die in order to "save the economy". That's what you are proposing. That's what 1% means. I've already given my 1 person but I'm not ready to give more.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
How many grandmas would be willing to put themselves at a little bit more risk so that their grand babies can have the education they deserve?

Status
Not open for further replies.