• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I nuts to buy this timeshare???

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Larry and Troglodyte, please continue to educate me. I obviously do not understand the market as well as you do. Is it also possible to generate a positive cash flow by renting your TS units? Do you have an experience in that area?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Larry and Troglodyte, please continue to educate me. I obviously do not understand the market as well as you do. Is it also possible to generate a positive cash flow by renting your TS units? Do you have an experience in that area?

I don't know what more educating to do. It's a matter of knowing a market - what the purchase and rental price points are and determining where it can be done.

If you want me to provide you with specific situations, I'm not going to do that. That information has monetary value, and I invested time and money (in the form of taking some losses that helped me get smarter). Further if I gave that info away I would only be creating competitors for my niche that could easily no longer make it profitable for me.

So, my answer is that you've been pointed in the direction. You've been giving guidance as to the types of situations to look for. Now it's up to you to take those lessons and find specific situations where you can apply them.

I will add, though, that it's easier to start with resorts and areas that you are familiar with; that just simplifies going up the learning curve.

Rest assured it can be done if you are willing to invest the time and effort. But it will take time and effort, and you are likely to conclude that it the financial returns really aren't worth the time involved.

After all, if there were really easy money to be made, knowledgeable people would have picked everything over long ago.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what more educating to do. It's a matter of knowing a market - what the purchase and rental price points are and determining where it can be done.

If you want me to provide you with specific situations, I'm not going to do that. That information has monetary value, and I invested time and money (in the form of taking some losses that helped me get smarter). Further if I gave that info away I would only be creating competitors for my niche that could easily no longer make it profitable for me.

So, my answer is that you've been pointed in the direction. You've been giving guidance as to the types of situations to look for. Now it's up to you to take those lessons and find specific situations where you can apply them.

I will add, though, that it's easier to start with resorts and areas that you are familiar with; that just simplifies going up the learning curve.

Rest assured it can be done if you are willing to invest the time and effort. But it will take time and effort, and you are likely to conclude that it the financial returns really aren't worth the time involved.

After all, if there were really easy money to be made, knowledgeable people would have picked everything over long ago.

Could not have said it better. Knowing your market is the key.

If you are looking to make money where rentals typically go for $100 per night
and your maintenance is $700, you're obviously not going to be successful.

High demand resorts in high demand areas where rental prices are high during busy season is where you can make money, but it's not that easy if you don't know what you are doing. Can I teach that to you or do I want to as has already been explained, I don't think so, with all of the variables that need to be learned such as purchasing for the right price to make renting viable.

I would suggest you read everything on these boards about buying, selling and renting as a starter and then follow your own path to success. What has worked for me may not be what you would be comfortable with.

Lazy8

Reaction score
If your friend is trying to unload it for free, you may be in the same boat as they are real soon.

I am in the process of entering the timeshare market myself.

First I have to sell the motorhome and stop going to all-inclusives and then think of a place to buy.

Any comments on where and how to buy, please PM me.

smsgt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying and selling

I have several units in different parts of the country, but mostly orlando, Ft Lauderdale and or Brekenridge co. Would you be interested in trading your motor home for some time shares?

That would be intersting, especially with the price of gas

please contact me via smsgt111@embarqmail.com

Thanks and good luck

Lazy8

Reaction score
PM sent to the BBS forum

Would you be interested in trading your motor home for some time shares?

That would be intersting, especially with the price of gas

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Larry and Troglodyte:

Thanks for all the information.