• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I about to get ripped off and what, if anything, should I do?

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
I’m looking for some TUG sage wisdom and advice. So long story short, I won an auction on eBay for 64k Wyndham Bali Hai points for $220.50 all-in, which is obviously a great deal, and maybe too good to be true. The seller timersharesavingsllc had a feedback score of 7, however all 7 were for Wyndham or Worldmark timeshares and were positive. There were some older feedback comments about poor communications, but no other red flags and I figured it was worth the $220.50 risk to get such a great price on a Bali Hai addition. I also got a copy of an estoppel letter so it appeared to be on the up and up.

The eBay auction ended on June 4th, and made full payment and signed their contract on June 5th.

On June 11th I sent the following email to the seller (just to see what his timeline was for deed recording, since I always breath easier after a deed has been recorded and I can look it up):

Good Afternoon,

I just wanted to check and see what your expected timeline was for closing / deed recording on this.

Thanks!

On June 13th, the seller wrote back:

Everything was passed to our closing department where they will submit it into Wyndham for approval if they haven't already submitted it. Once they do it is usually around 7-10 weeks before we hear back from them. Once we do hear back with approval they will also be sending any closing documents that will be needed. That is when our closing agent will reach out to get those completed.

This seemed wrong to me. I’ve purchased 5 previous Wyndham contracts, and the order was always: 1. Deed is recorded (after the rescission period), and then the deed and transfer paperwork are sent to Wyndham for them to process the transfer (and I know that takes 3-5 months). Am I missing something here? Why would they need to get permission from Wyndham to record the deed? There’s no ROFR that I’m aware of at Bali Hai, at least there wasn’t for the last Bali Hai contract I purchased.

Based on those concerns, I sent the following email this morning (trying to be as nice as possible) because I figured this was just the seller’s inexperience:

Good Morning,

I’ve purchased multiple resale Wyndham contracts previously (including at Bali Hai). The deed needs to be recorded and then the transfer paperwork can be sent to Wyndham. I know that Wyndham takes a very long time to process the transfer paperwork (upwards of 3 months), so I understand the delay there and I always leave positive feedback for the seller on eBay once the deed has been recorded, since I know it will be a long time before the transfer is processed. My question was if you or your closing department have a timeline for the deed recording, not for the transfer paperwork to be sent. I know you need to wait the rescission period in order for the deed to be recorded, but that time has now elapsed.

Thank You,

And I promptly received this response:

On average, expect the deed recording process to take roughly 90 days or so.

So….. that is obviously a very looooong time for them to record the deed, and more importantly, puts it out past the timeframe when I could put in a claim to eBay/paypal if it turns out this is just a scam. On the other hand, it’s only $220.50 and he does have positive feedback for other Wyndham deeds. Am I just overthinking this and I should just let this ride? I guess my downside risk isn’t that much? Should I respond to him with anything else? I don’t want to **** off the seller and cause this to blow up either because I think it’s probably still more likely than not that this is not a scam and this guy just doesn’t quite know what he’s doing. Any advice/comments are appreciated, feel free to be brutal if you think I’m just being nuts here and shouldn’t be worrying about this.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wyndham doesn't approve anything. That sounds like a made-up reason for a delay in the closing.

And FYI, our transfers of the weeks we gave away took 5 full months AFTER Wyndham received the $399 per contract for transfer and the copy of the deed.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Wyndham doesn't approve anything. That sounds like a made-up reason for a delay in the closing.

And FYI, our transfers of the weeks we gave away took 5 full months AFTER Wyndham received the $399 per contract for transfer and the copy of the deed.
Yeah, that’s what I thought. What would you do if you were me?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My guess is they don't know the nuances of what they are selling. They may have other sales of other timeshare under different Ebay seller names, so they are just saying something to provide a response. The fact that they are responsive is a good sign.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Grand Desert, Kingsgate, Bali Hai, Oceanside
Yeah, I'd probably let it play out, since you don't have much invested into it. It's like the free Timeshare Nation Oceanside Pier I got with the erroneous estoppel (Wyndham's error). I crossed my fingers and hoped that it worked out, and it did.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guess is they don't know the nuances of what they are selling. They may have other sales of other timeshare under different Ebay seller names, so they are just saying something to provide a response. The fact that they are responsive is a good sign.
Thanks.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing that might be affecting the normal process is that I believe all sales/transfers of Hawaii property must go through escrow and/or an agent licensed in Hawaii. (I don't think it's both - it's one or the other, but I can't remember which). Someone will know.