• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ALREADY VIP GOLD ... but question about resale purchase

Tim K

Reaction score
HI:

First-time poster here, but long-time admirer of all the info. However, I can not seem to find the answer to this question. Search results always seem to just show people asking about using resale points to become VIP. My question is, rather ...

If I am already VIP (GOLD) with all retail purchases (thanks Mom and Dad!) with Wyndham, and I want to get more points via resale/eBay, is there any issue with adding those points onto our account?

I realize that they wouldn't count towards bumping us up to the next level, but I wonder how hard it is to add those points to our existing account (which is already split up amongs my parents, myself, and my brothers -- single account, multiple owners)? Also, will they be part of our lump-sum of points, indistinguishable from the rest.

Basically, I'm tired of having to get permission to use points as they are technically ALL my parents. So I want to get enough of my own and pay my own maintence to go whenever I want without asking ... and do it CHEAPLY of course. I also want to continue to be able to use VIP benefits when booking with these points. Although if there are added to the pool/lump-sum, I don't see how they couldn't be, right?

Thanks for any clartification you can offer on this issue.

Best,
Tim

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It appears you are talking about Wyndham.

I have 1.5 million points -- VIP Platinum and Presidential Reserve. I have 4+ million regular old Wyndham points. Except for the Presidential Reserve points, I can't tell the difference in how they are used or usable. And, I'm not sure even about PresRes points now. I'm almost certain that after the rollout of Wyndham's pitiful new reservation system, I have been able to reserve PresRes units fourteen months before check-in when I had no PresRes points. Problem is the points tab doesn't break out PresRes points from regular points so it's hard to tell.

Part of Wyndham's new "keep 'em guessing" policy. Or maybe their "hide the ball" policy.

Tim K

Reaction score
Thanks, yes it is for Wyndham (edited original post to reflect), sorry. But there is no issue adding resale/ebay points to your "portfolio". And yes, the new website/res. system is TERRIBLE! So many issues, I won't even begin. Sure they've been discussed ad nauseam here.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
As long as your Gold any resell points added to your account will get Gold Benefits..... Unless they change rules in future

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I intended to say so in my first post but I don't think I'd rush into buying more Wyndham points right now. You might be better off to maintain the status quo -- rent points from your parents for a few more months. It's too hard to tell where Wyndham is going right now. Some posters here ascribe sinister, cynical motives to Wyndham -- taking gross advantage of owners while for the purpose of forcing people into Ovation, or setting rules that benefit Wyndham's own rental program to the detriment of owners, or both.

If nothing else, the reservation system should stabilize in a few months. One can dream, no?

Tim K

Reaction score
Actually, have been thinking about it for a while, but won't be purchasing until February of next year. I read 1st-quarter was a good time to shop anyway, so that seems to work out. Should maybe know what Wyndham is doing my then.

Thanks all!

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
i might be wrong, but RON P, had posted in the past that not all names on all deeds in an account had to match. If this is true then you should be able to buy more points and add contract to existing owner number, and get Gold Benefits on those points. If not true then you will need to get everyone to sign for the transfer and be on hook for MF's to add to account. My guess would be if Mom and Dad are the account holders they would need to be on deed to add to their owner account.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
It is true that all names do NOT have to match, but I am beginning to think this is where everybody is getting locked out of their accounts. Contracts do not match and the software has no idea what to do and shuts down the account.

So you can do what you want and with only your name on the account you are solely responsible for MF's for that contract. You get the gold benefits. That's the good news. The bad is you risk having your account locked out temporarily because of balky software (I think, not sure).

Maybe by the time Wyndham finishes registering your new purchase the software is fixed. Eventually it will be, but nobody has any idea when that will be.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
[EDIT: I think I put this in the wrong forum, so mods please feel free to delete the other post. Not trying to double-post.]

HI:

First-time poster here, but long-time admirer of all the info. However, I can not seem to find the answer to this question. Search results always seem to just show people asking about using resale points to become VIP. My question is, rather ...

If I am already VIP (GOLD) with all retail purchases (thanks Mom and Dad!) with Wyndham, and I want to get more points via resale/eBay, is there any issue with adding those points onto our account?

I realize that they wouldn't count towards bumping us up to the next level, but I wonder how hard it is to add those points to our existing account (which is already split up amongs my parents, myself, and my brothers -- single account, multiple owners)? Also, will they be part of our lump-sum of points, indistinguishable from the rest.

Basically, I'm tired of having to get "permission" to use points as they are technically ALL my parents. So I want to get enough of my own and pay my own maintence to go whenever I want without asking ... and do it CHEAPLY of course. I also want to continue to be able to use VIP benefits when booking with these points. Although if there are added to the pool/lump-sum, I don't see how they couldn't be, right?

Thanks for any clartification you can offer on this issue.

Best,
Tim

yes you can add new contracts purchased on ebay or other secondary market sources to an existing Gold account. As you say you cant push the account to Platinum status this way, but the new points will enjoy Gold benefits

In the past a name on the new deed had to match a name on one of the deeds in the account so if Mom and Dad is how the account began, a contract Mom and dad and Jack could be added, and another Mom and Dad and Jill could be added. Also an a contract in just Jacks name could be added.

I assume that that can be done today as well

Understand, all owners will have access to the account and one owner can make reservations with all the points, or cancel any reservation and if one owner dosent pay their share of the maintenance fees, the whole account will be frozen. So several individuals working out of the same account can become something of a mess. You may not have to ask "permission" as you put it, because you are an owner, but what you do has to be coordinated with the other owners. It seems to me that all parties need to know what the others are doing> How to do this is up to you guys. I think it has the potential to bring you guys closer together, or perhaps drive you apart

My advice would be to designate one of the owners to be the "coordinator" and everyone else has to run their vacation plans and the mf payments through that person. Of course thats what you have now, and you want to change it

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron is right.

But my question to you is ... Are your parents balking at letting you run loose in their account? Do you think it will be any different by having some deeds with both sets of names ... who is to say, if you paid MFs or they paid the MFs ... as Wyndham will continue to draft the fees out of the ONE bank account. Or used which set of points esp for ARP?

I guess Mom or Dad is the gate-keeper now ... (aka "coordinator") ... their account; their rules.

I suggest you accept the status quo OR go buy your own set of Wyndham points OR rent directly from another owner.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
The path I took. There's more than 2 of us, but simplified with my Dad and myself for the example:

Contract 1: Dad's VIP Platinum account
* John Doe

Contract 2: Very small resale, only point was to get name added as owner with minimal risk for maintenance fees due to either of us (John Doe and Sandi Bo on deed)
* John Doe
* Sandi Bo

Contract 3: Great resale cost and very low maintenance fees (minimize John Doe's risk)
* Sandi Bo only name on deed

- All contracts in same (John Doe) account and it shows John Doe and Sandi Bo as owners
- Either can be chosen to be the guest for checkin on any reservation (and can now be changed online with the new system)
- All points enjoy VIP benefits.
- Points are all in one account, same use year, same "buckets". I can't imagine trying to keep them separate by owner (other than saying you have x amount of points to use per year and tracking yourself).
- One bill for maintenance (I doubt WYN will split that out but I've not asked). You can see the fees for each contract but it's all one bill.

This is hopefully set up in best way to minimize risk for all. I could wrong, but assume I could ask for Contract 2 or 3 to be moved to it's own (resale account) if something drove that need (financial or family feud? or maybe Wyndham changes come rules :))

The new system allowing multiple logons may help you track who's doing what better HOWEVER only person can transact at a time. I manage and CONTROL our account. I thought with the new system I could loosen the reins a bit. I would love to allow other family members to search for their own rooms. But only one person transacting (booking or cancelling for example) at a time is an issue (for me) - still need to get comfortable with that.

Good luck Tim. I am very grateful for the Wyndham ownership my Dad provided for our family. He wanted our family to enjoy time together forever. Sleeping at Ocean Walk last night, as I type, siblings and cousins from MA, CT, NE, CA, CO. We have enjoyed countless family reunions and will continue to do so. My being able to manage the account has been good for us, Dad was not taking advantage of the cancel/rebook or other opportunities he certainly paid a pretty penny for. There came a time that it was too much for him and I slowly took over. At first, providing detailed spreadsheets of how I used the points. I don't know your personal situation, but betting being able to access the system will be helpful for all (it certainly has been for our family). But it may be frustrating as your parents may not want "help" or to have multiple people accessing the account at this time.

I'm so very thankful for what we have. Admittedly, Dad was salespersons dream (and I their nightmare).

Please note - I may have said 2 nice things in this post about the new system.