• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aloha Box Hidden on Maui

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This looks like it could be fun. Hopefully it won't get stolen. Post if anyone on Maui does this. Aloha

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This looks like it could be fun. Hopefully it won't get stolen. Post if anyone on Maui does this. Aloha

I like this idea a lot, but the cynic in me thinks it won't last. We'll be on Maui in September - I'll go look for this and see if it's still around by then.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was a nice walking exercise video, excellent walking tour of parts of Maui.
I Liked that Aloha Hidden Box ideas...LOL. I'm out of breath after watching that video looking for those hidden Aloha Boxes.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I like this idea a lot, but the cynic in me thinks it won't last. We'll be on Maui in September - I'll go look for this and see if it's still around by then.

Dave

I thought the same thing, we'll see. I have a friend staying at the Maui Schooner on April 23rd so I sent it to her. She may check it out. I'll post if she does.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've participated in similar activities worldwide. It is something called "geocaching". Usually the gifts are not worth much, but you get clues where the cache is hidden and you go find it. There's even an app for that! https://www.geocaching.com

Usually the caches are off the beaten path, and are really just for exploring. They are not attractive enough to lure lots of people to them. Try the app. There's probably a cache near your present location.

What I don't like about this particular one is that it is sending people through private property onto a possibly risky part of the property that could result in the hotel getting sued for something. How would you like it if you had a stream of non-guests walking in front of the ocean-front room you had to pay a lot of money for to go look for this? It is attractive enough at $100 minimum that I'm sure will get people trying to find it. It is almost as troublesome as the various "Revealed" books that have resulted in many beautiful places being permanently closed because they were overwhelmed by the attention they garnered through the books.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've participated in similar activities worldwide. It is something called "geocaching". Usually the gifts are not worth much, but you get clues where the cache is hidden and you go find it. There's even an app for that! https://www.geocaching.com

Usually the caches are off the beaten path, and are really just for exploring. They are not attractive enough to lure lots of people to them. Try the app. There's probably a cache near your present location.

What I don't like about this particular one is that it is sending people through private property onto a possibly risky part of the property that could result in the hotel getting sued for something. How would you like it if you had a stream of non-guests walking in front of the ocean-front room you had to pay a lot of money for to go look for this? It is attractive enough at $100 minimum that I'm sure will get people trying to find it. It is almost as troublesome as the various "Revealed" books that have resulted in many beautiful places being permanently closed because they were overwhelmed by the attention they garnered through the books.

I have done Geocaching begore on Kauai. Yes, it was fun and much different than this.

The beaches on Hawaii are all open to the public and Black Rock is a huge draw for people jumping off it. That is one way to get there and it is a well worm path so I am sure the hotel knows about it. Some hotels in Hawaii had to provide parking spaces for the public to use the beach they are in from of also.

I think the inner risk is that someone will find it and bring back some wire snips and that will be the end of it. I hope not bit we'll see.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think adding a $100 item to the mix changes the dynamics of people going through the area. That path is not really very good to get to Black Rock so few people use it. However, many more will be interested if they can get a $100 prize. I'm not sure how long it will be before the prize disappears without something of equivalent value being left behind. I suspect it won't be very long at all. Better to stick with geocaching and maybe making a donation to the charity left by the previous visitor.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think adding a $100 item to the mix changes the dynamics of people going through the area. That path is not really very good to get to Black Rock so few people use it. However, many more will be interested if they can get a $100 prize. I'm not sure how long it will be before the prize disappears without something of equivalent value being left behind. I suspect it won't be very long at all. Better to stick with geocaching and maybe making a donation to the charity left by the previous visitor.

Time will tell. I'm sure he'll do a video about it either way. I would do it if I had a Maui trip soon but it might be gone way before then. :D

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

We do this with the young kids to get them use to using a map and gps. On a Jeep ride in the middle of nowhere in the Cascades where my grandson and his cousin found a cach box. It was not anything near $100 in the box but there was a journal, a few pens and some bailing wire. We wrote our names and the date then left a roll of black tape before putting it back.

My bet is the Black Rock box goes missing. Locals fish there is why.

Bill

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are far more tourons than locals in that area ...

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So far so good. Tomorrow will be one week in. Here's an update.

Watch what happens after the Cliff Diver lights the torch.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's still going.

Screenshot_20220422-220939_YouTube.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still going.

Screenshot_20220501-173901_YouTube.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another update on the Aloha Box. It did get raided but they only took the cash. The gift cards were left in the box.

It has been used a lot. He has had to add film twice so users of the box can leave pictures.

So it is still going, closing in on 2 months.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An update on the Aloha Box. It is at the start of this video. It is still going. Lots of nice things in there and an updated book of all the people who participated.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still going! It has worked better than I thought it would, even if security doesn't like them being there in this video.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still going! It has worked better than I thought it would, even if security doesn't like them being there in this video.

I saw that yesterday and I was going to update the thread bit forgot. Mahalo!!

I'm very surprised it's still going too.