• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

All US-Bound international travelers arriving back in the United States will need a COVID test — U.S. citizens included

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to 6 months ago. Any less then this is why infections keep happening. Canada is a negative test and quarantine. Panama has been a negative test and quarantine and now just negative test. Just add the cost and trouble to the vacation or better yet stay home.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
It makes one wonder how they can enforce it. Is it written and signed into law? If I'm an American at a US port of entry with a valid passport, I don't see how they can deny entry.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It makes one wonder how they can enforce it. Is it written and signed into law? If I'm an American at a US port of entry with a valid passport, I don't see how they can deny entry.
Maybe they test you there or bring you to a quarantine hotel. Or most Likely the airline will not let you board.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I wonder if this will lead to a rise in black market negative tests? What’s stopping someone from purchasing a false negative test in places like Mexico? I can’t imagine underpaid airline employees really caring & checking this in detail.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this will lead to a rise in black market negative tests? What’s stopping someone from purchasing a false negative test in places like Mexico? I can’t imagine underpaid airline employees really caring & checking this in detail.
I think if someone caused an outbreak after presenting a forged test the punishment would potentially be severe.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

Supposedly the airlines are the police of this. Without “papers” you are to be denied boarding.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This new policy is only for air travel. With respect to US/Mexican land border crossings, no test is required. Just fly to your Mexican vacation destination and have your return trip out of the country terminate in Tajuana or Ciudad Juarez. From there take the shuttle, taxi or Uber to San Diego or El Paso and continue home from there. It's a short trip and inexpensive trip.

Canadians may be able to do this also. My understanding is that citizens of Canada can transit the land border from Mexico if traveling back to Canada.

This may not be feasible for everyone, but it beats being stuck in Mexico for 10-14 days.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
This is a common sense policy. Also required in Canada. If the resort regions got their heads in the game, they would be making testing easily available and economical. To worry about fraudulent testing is a red herring argument or lets use the just lock everyone up just in case approach. Very few will do this knowingly. A Canadian entering the USA from Mexico to travel to Canada...that's gonna be quite a rental car invoice or an extremely rare event if they somehow got their car over the USA boarder from Canada... And a very long trip.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Canadians supposedly cannot cross the land border from the US into Canada unless they quarantine for 2 weeks once they get back into Canada.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Canadians supposedly cannot cross the land border from the US into Canada unless they quarantine for 2 weeks once they get back into Canada.

Yes true. 2 week quarantine is required for everyone entering Canada, regardless of how they return/arrive, air or land. Testing does not elimiate this order. The exception being those classified as essential.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes true. 2 week quarantine is required for everyone entering Canada, regardless of how they return/arrive, air or land. Testing does not elimiate this order. The exception being those classified as essential.

The only other exception is the test on arrival pilot program at the Calgary Airport and Coutts border crossing.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I asked this on another post, but what about charter flights and private planes? Who will be policing this?

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
My understanding is all international flights. Who would be policing...they still need to clear customs and immigration and doubt a pilot private or a charter company is going to risk the fines/licence. Seems like a nonissue.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I thought about flying into TIJ and skipping the CBX bridge. Take a taxi to the border and walk across. Uber home.

I’ve got a Cabo trip planned for November. Let’s hope this is a non-issue by then.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Canadian entering the USA from Mexico to travel to Canada...that's gonna be quite a rental car invoice or an extremely rare event if they somehow got their car over the USA boarder from Canada... And a very long trip.
No need for a rental car. Just take a shuttle from the Tajuana airport to the San Diego airport and continue from there. TIJ airport is located on the US/Mexico border and is about 20 miles from the San Diego airport. Americans do this all the time. As long as a Canadian is transiting through the USA enroute to Canada they shouldn't have a problem.

dsexton

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
I am in Cancun now returning home tomorrow. I plan to ask Delta what they know about how Cancún will execute this. I will report back on that later.
I do know that Cabo offers an option where someone will come to your resort and conduct test for $319 per person. You can make an appointment on line.
From what I understand travelers coming back to USA from USVI and Puerto Rico will be exempt.
I have trips planned to all these areas in next few months so I researched all this last night.
It’s so sad what this is going to do to an already dead travel industry !

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I am in Cancun now returning home tomorrow. I plan to ask Delta what they know about how Cancún will execute this. I will report back on that later.
I do know that Cabo offers an option where someone will come to your resort and conduct test for $319 per person.
The situation is changing rapidly in Cabo. One should check with their timeshare/hotel on testing availability. Pueblo Bonito just announced that they
are providing the required test free for those on the all-inclusive plan and for $15 for others.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If airlines didn't have enough on their hands just making sure people wear masks. I feel for their front line workers that will take the brunt of the non informed travels out there that show up at the airport without their papers.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This could be a mess. DD and SIL are going to Jamaica for their honeymoon in June. Right now Sandals is giving free covid tests for their guests, through March 31. I hope that continues if the mandate remains in effect this summer. And what are the options if a tourist is positive? DD just booked but had no knowledge of this requirement. I wish they were staying in the US.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
No need for a rental car. Just take a shuttle from the Tajuana airport to the San Diego airport and continue from there. TIJ airport is located on the US/Mexico border and is about 20 miles from the San Diego airport. Americans do this all the time. As long as a Canadian is transiting through the USA enroute to Canada they shouldn't have a problem.

But still whats the point? the 2 week quarantine still applies when they arrive in Canada. A Test would still be required to fly from San Diego.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Papers, Papers, show me your papers. (With a German accent) I have listened to my DH say this is coming a thousand times as I give him the eye roll.

Once again he has been proven right.

Just sad what the world has turned into. So much for traveling in retirement we may as well go back to work!

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Effective Jan 26, 2021, Airlines must confirm the negative result or recovery for all passengers prior to boarding. Passengers without documentation will be denied boarding flights to the U.S.

This will affect all Vistana Mexico and Harborside timeshares.

Raintree Club Regina sent out info about the testing. for $33US, you can be tested right at the resort and if it is negative, you will get a certificate within 24 hours. It will be administered right at resort and it will be scheduled upon check-in so that it will all be handled without exposure to others who are being tested because they have symptoms. There is also a plan in place in case you test positive, but you are responsible for cost of care.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Papers, Papers, show me your papers. (With a German accent) I have listened to my DH say this is coming a thousand times as I give him the eye roll.

Once again he has been proven right.

Just sad what the world has turned into. So much for traveling in retirement we may as well go back to work!

Hubby flew to Paris last month. Restrictions other than wear a mask: mandatory papers to be out on the streets, you could only travel up to one kilometer away from your hotel, and you were only allowed to be out for one hour.

Last edited: