• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

All-inclusive with kids?

quadsplus1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that some of the all-inclusive fees are 1/2 price for kids 11 and under. I have four 11 yr olds, so I am thinking that if we ever want to go to an all-inclusive resort, this year is the one to do it. Any recommendations? I would especially love to go somewhere with tennis programs for kids and adults. We'll travel anywhere we can get reasonable airfare from NY/NJ area.

Thanks!
Melanie

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I had taken advantage of the 12 and under, all inclusive deal 3 years ago. We took the kids to Mayan Riveria, Mexico (south of Cancun). We stayed at the Iberostar Resort. I was worried that the kids would not have a good time, but took the chance to different country at a great time.

Well the kids loved it! Not only did we save alot of money since we had 2 that were free, but it is always mentioned as the best trip they have ever been on. We took them the the ruins of Tulum and Coba. We took them on a mayan village tour, what an eye opener for them. They went snorkling for the first time. We did a jungle tour and saw the monkeys and tigers in the trees. We were surprised how much the kids enjoyed the trip and doing things they have read about.

The to top it off, the cost of the trip was the same as our yearly trips to Myrtle beach.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I don't have any input for your question. When you said you had four 11 yrs old, I was going to ask if you had quadruplets. Then I saw your name "Quadplus1". Geez, I thought having 3 kids in 3 years was tough, I can't imagine having 4 at once!

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Mayan Riveria area. Very large resorts and lots to choose from. Many activites for children and adults alike.
I have three boys that are very close in age now 31,30,29. Two are step-sons and one is my blood. We married when they were 3,2,1. And it was almost easier having 3 on vacation then 1 child alone as they always had someone to play with and talk to.
But oh gosh 4 the same age!!! Take them to Mexico. Everyone will have great fun and you parents can relax. Another idea would be a cruise. As I think children under 12 cruise free.

marion10

Reaction score
Most cruises you have to pay for everyone-they do not cruise free. But 3rd and 4th in a room are reduced.

davhu1

Reaction score
stark said:
What company did you book with?

We went on 2 AIs when my kids were younger and they had a great time. We booked Vacation Express to Playa del Carmen, Mexico and Apples Vacations to Domincan Republic. Apple Vacation was better organized and newer planes. Vacation Express used old Mexican planes.

For the Vacation Express, we were at the airport at 5:30 in the morning, connected in Charlotte and got to the resort around ~3:00 pm/ Nothing was served to eat, not even a snack. When the stewardess went to get food in Charlotte, we wondered and found out they were not going to serve anything and the would not let us off to get food for the kids. They went hungry untill they got to the resort. We now pack snacks when we fly as airline are not serving much to cut cost. Apple VAacation did serve sandwish and drinks.

Look for last minutes specials. It could be 2-3 months out.

quadsplus1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suites for 7

Thanks everyone for your responses. Don't know if it will save me anything as there seems to be a 2 kid limit on the discounts. Also, I am having trouble finding resorts that have large rooms. I don't care if we have to use sleeping bags, but the few I have looked at have a 4 or 5 person limit per room. Might have to recruit family members to join me in order to get the additional rooms and free kids. But now it is getting way too complicated. By the way, we have 5 kids - a 9 yr old plus the 11yr old quads. We own at Smugglers Notch which is an outstanding value for us. It's a great trade and we could go anywhere, but it seems there are few affordable alternatives. Any other ideas?

Melanie

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we went, we booked two rooms and requested that the rooms were connecting. The 3 kids stayed in the one room, My wife and I in the other. It worked great for us. We just left the doors connecting the rooms open at night.

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
quadsplus1 said:
I don't care if we have to use sleeping bags, but the few I have looked at have a 4 or 5 person limit per room.
Melanie

My kids now refuse to sleep together in hotels and these day I am finding it harder and harder to get a roll-a-way bed. So, it hit me, an inflatable mattress...we take it where ever we go...sometimes it is more comfortable than the beds in the room! Just ask for an extra set of bedding. On numerous occasions, the maids have even made up the inflatable bed!!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we went to Iberostar, there were two beds per room. There was also a couch that the one kid slept on. We had an extra bed on my room, but the kids were happy being in thier own room. Win win for all of us :) ! We also have taken an inflatable mattress on trips, works great for us! The kids rather sleep on the floor than share a room with the parents!

nrosetojr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Quadsplus1,

You didn't say whether you were trying to exchange into an all-inclusive, or purchase an all-inclusive vacation from a tour operator, ie., Apple Vacations.

If you are looking into an exchange, many of the Dominican Republic resorts, and Riviera Maya resorts (and other Caribbean Islands as well), have either mandatory, or voluntary all-inclusive packages. Some are of the opinion that rather than exchange into a mandatory all-inclusive resort, it would be better to purchase a package from a tour operator. I haven't run the numbers, but there are two resorts in the Dominican Republic in Punta Cana that I've been looking at: the Melia Vacation Club at Melia Caribe Tropical (RCI#5476), and the Melia Vacation Club at Paradisus Punta Cana (RCI#4119). There are reviews of both in the TUG Resort Reviews, and the mention of the all-inclusive fees (at 2003 prices) of $50 per day per person for Paradisus and $30 per day for Caribe. Not sure what current prices are, or if there are discounts for age (usually), but with some research you might be able to tell. Reviews are decent, and both have 1 brs that sleep 6. Not sure how many units there are, nor how easy it is to exchange into, but it's a start.

As for getting there, Apple Vacations, has an in-house airline www.usa3000.com that has regularly scheduled flights to Punta Cana (and other destinations in the DR and Mexico), particularly out of the NY/NJ airports, that you can reserve seats on, you need not have purchased one of their packages.

If you run the numbers for your situation between an exchange, the all-inclusive fees (particulalry if children under 12 are discounted), and the airfares, and then compare them to what you would pay for a tour package, which likely would be hotel room, so you'd be either cramped, or have to pay full (grown-up rates) fare for 2 of your children and get two hotel rooms, you might find that if you can exchange into some all-inclusives, you'd be ahead, plus have the benefit of the roomier timeshare.

Good luck.

Nick Roseto