• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

All about MGC

momots

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (Blvd) SDO (pending)
I was going to buy a SDO 2 bedroom L/O Annual Red Season 1-52 for trading on II, but thought it might be better if I get:

SDO 2 bd L/O Red Season 1-52 EOY AND MGC 2 bd L/O Platinum EOY

I am thinking this way I can get both Vistana preference and MVC preference when trading on II. Was it hard to see MVC properties without MVC preference by using SDO pre-Covid?

Does this sound like a good plan?

We live on the West Coast in WA. These are some questions I have on MGC, I tried to search for all these answers, but couldn't find them all:

-For resale, is MGC only good for stays at MGC and to deposit into II for trading?
-No points included?
-Are all 2 bedrooms at MGC lock-off?
-Does it lock-off into a 1 bedroom and a studio?
-Is Platinum essentially floating weeks 1-51 at MGC which excludes week 52? Is the only difference in Platinum Plus the week 52?
-SDO charges $40 more than the annual mf with a EOY. Does MGC also have a surcharge in mf for having an every other year? Is the mf charged half in odd year and half in even year?
-Will it pass rofr at $0? Anyone have luck with passing ROFR? If not, will it help to reflect the buyers closing cost/transfer fees into the purchase price and make the closing costs free/transfer fees free?
-Does MVC charge $95 for ROFR and $25 transfer fee?
-Is a 2 bedroom MGC platinum L/O worth more than a 2 bedroom SDO Red 1-52 L/O?

Anything else you can think of I should know?

Thank you so much in advance!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
-For resale, is MGC only good for stays at MGC and to deposit into II for trading?
Yes
-No points included?
Correct, resale weeks can't be directly enrolled in the DC point program. There are expensive ways around this.
Not 100% if they are all lock off units. However even if there are dedicated 2BR units, all owners on floating wee/floating unit can lock off based on availability.
Yes. I think only the 3BR locks off into the 2BR and a 1BR.
-Is Platinum essentially floating weeks 1-51 at MGC which excludes week 52? Is the only difference in Platinum Plus the week 52?
Correct
-SDO charges $40 more than the annual mf with a EOY. Does MGC also have a surcharge in mf for having an every other year? Is the mf charged half in odd year and half in even year?
No surcharge in Marriott for EOY weeks.
-Will it pass rofr at $0? Anyone have luck with passing ROFR? If not, will it help to reflect the buyers closing cost/transfer fees into the purchase price and make the closing costs free/transfer fees free?
If the buyer is paying closing costs, those are sometimes included in the purchase price, of course indicating that then closing costs are $0.
Yes
The benefit of MGC over SDO is that with SDO when you deposit in II you get a blended trade value of the Gold Plus season. With MGC, the week you book and deposit is what trade power is based on. So you can book a good week for deposit where SDO you get whatever trade power they give you.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Correct.

-No points included?
Correct.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No surcharge. Half every year.

Unknown if will pass at $0. On the other hand, you are unlikely to find it at $0.

Yes.

Yes.

Two bedroom locks off into 1br and studio. Recently, studio trading power went down, to the point it no longer pulls anything high demand. You may look into buying a three bedroom, which locks off into 2br+1br. In my experience, this gives a lot more in terms of trading power and will get you high demand weeks. But a three bedroom is expensive.

Two bedroom is not exactly free either.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

Not sure which property you are referring to. SDO has no ROFR.

SDO locks off in to two 1 bedroom units.

momots

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (Blvd) SDO (pending)
Do you know where I could look to determine the mf for the MGC 2 Bd Platinum L/O EOY?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know where I could look to determine the mf for the MGC 2 Bd Platinum L/O EOY?

Looking at some of the Red Week ads the 2 Bedroom Lock Off Annual villa runs somewhere between $1,307 and $1,450 per year. Every other year would be half that figure and paid every year which works out to somewhere between $654 and $725 per year.

Special Note; Closing costs for an annual villa versus an EOY villa will generally be the same.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score

Marriott Grand Chateau 2br Lock Off Platinum EOY Week

Fiscal Year Description Amount Due
2020 Operating Fee 457.20
2020 Property Tax Fee 27.20
2020 Replacement Reserve 169.23
2020 International Service Fee 17.25
2020 Total 670.94

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy a SDO 2 bedroom L/O Annual Red Season 1-52 for trading on II, but thought it might be better if I get:

SDO 2 bd L/O Red Season 1-52 EOY AND MGC 2 bd L/O Platinum EOY

I am thinking this way I can get both Vistana preference and MVC preference when trading on II. Was it hard to see MVC properties without MVC preference by using SDO pre-Covid?

Does this sound like a good plan?

We live on the West Coast in WA. These are some questions I have on MGC, I tried to search for all these answers, but couldn't find them all:

-No points included?

Thank you so much in advance!
I can't speak to the Vistana side so my thoughts only apply to Marriott and mostly MGC. An EOY is exactly half in terms of fees, two EOY would be exactly the same as one EY from a fee standpoint. That could change but is unlikely to. An EOY is likely to be more like to pass ROFR all else equal. a 3 BR there locks off into a 2 BR and 1 BR which is a plus for trading. It is my understanding that if you own a 3 BR you're only supposed to be able to book the 2 BR that's a part of the 3 BR. I have seen posts of some able to do otherwise though, maybe others will chime in. I do understand that all other 2 BR there are L/O. The Platinum season at GC is very favorable in terms of getting a week to deposit and in combining with other Marriott's to use the 13 month booking advantage if applicable. It's trade power might be suspect but M to M it should be fine. If you're considering enrolling later, GC is an excellent choice and it's one of the cheaper in terms of fees. If trading and price is paramount, then you might look at other options as well as you can essentially always trade in to LV if you want to stay there. Branson has the cheapest fees. Desert options Platinum might be higher fees but would have a better rental potential, trade power and points if enrolled later and there have been some amazing sales on Ebay lately. Grande Vista could get you into the Florida Club. I wouldn't worry much about ROFR, just get the best deal you can and hope for the best. Good luck.