• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alignment of MVCI Asia Pacific Points system with Destination Club Points system

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
On Friday 4th December I received the following email from Marriott Vacation Club Asia Pacific. The subject was the "Global Alignment of Club Points". It would appear that this is the first step of bringing the two Marriott Vacation Club points systems into alignment so that at some future point they can be better integrated so that members of the two points systems can use their points across the two systems seamlessly or at least in a way that they cannot now do.

I should add that whenever I see the mention of enhancements to anything like this I m wary since it often means that things are made less beneficial.

================================================

Important News: Enhancing Your Membership
In 2006, Marriott Vacation Club® introduced Marriott Vacation Club, Asia Pacific (the "Club"), offering Club Members the ability to use Club Points for exciting new travel options. Since then, you and your family have enjoyed a variety of ways to use Club Points to create lasting holiday memories.
Now we are excited to announce our latest effort to provide greater ease in using your Club Points. This is the first of several positive changes you can look forward to in the coming year.
What is happening?
Your Club Membership will be enhanced to better align with our other Marriott Vacation Club timeshare products around the world.
How will this happen?
Simply put, your Club Point allocation will be divided by 10.
• This is a one-time adjustment and will affect your Club Point allocations.
• This adjustment will be reflected in the Club Points usage charts.
• The amount of holiday time you will receive for your Club Points annually will be the same, and you can continue to enjoy your membership as you do today (subject to availability and the Member's preferences).
• All of your current usage rights and Member benefits will remain unchanged.
When is this happening?
Redenomination of your Club Points will automatically occur on
31 December 2015.
Why is this happening?
This improvement will result in easier Club Points usage as well as eventually provide you with seamless access across all Marriott Vacation Club resorts.
How can I get more information?
• You can find more details by clicking the links on the right.
• As always, you can contact Member Services to answer your questions.
• You also can arrange a personal one-on-one meeting with one of our representatives in Phuket or Singapore.
We are excited about this enhancement and look forward to helping you create more memories that will last a lifetime.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
You've been waiting a long time for the two programs to not be as independent of each other as they have been, so I'm glad to see this for your sake as well as all the rest of us. :)

Looking forward to you and other MVCAP owners/members dissecting this for TUG's benefit - thanks in advance.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
How do the MFs work for AP points? And are there junk fees on resale purchases? Interesting development, thx for posting.

Best,

Greg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You got this on Friday and you are just posting it today? :eek: what the @&#$ :p jk.

This is a good development. I think as was speculated in the past, when they finally did integrate, it would be on a 10 to 1 ratio with DC points. WIth this change, it will be much simpler where 1 AP point = 1 DC point.

I wonder if all AP members will automatically be enrolled in the MVC Exchange Company, or if there will be an enrollment fee? I would like to think that AP points owners would just move seamlessly in to the points program and not have an enrollment fee. Just as DC trust point owners are. However, for weeks owners at Phuket Beach Club, I would expect the usual enrollment fee at current prices like they did in Europe. Hopefully for those already enrolled won't have to pay additional fees to enroll more weeks.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
HERE's the latest AP points chart I could find online...says it is from July 2015.

Figured it may be of interest to those looking to use DC points to snag an AP Club property in the future, to at least gauge point requirements.

Remember, what you see on the chart needs to be divided by 10 for the apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
HERE's the latest AP points chart I could find online...says it is from July 2015.

Figured it may be of interest to those looking to use DC points to snag an AP Club property in the future, to at least gauge point requirements.

Remember, what you see on the chart needs to be divided by 10 for the apples to apples comparison.

That link is to a file on your computer :doh: Thus, I can't open it.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

Hmmmm....weird. I did just get a new Windows 10 computer, which seems to open PDF files in Edge (whatever that is)....and it appears you are correct, that the URL points back to me. Looks like I need to do some learning to figure out how to link online PDF's going forward. :(

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

Try my link again.....I think I got a cashed version to work. Doesn't appear as pretty as the PDF version, but the numbers are the same.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So US residents can buy resale MVCAP points?

Hm.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So US residents can buy resale MVCAP points?

Hm.

Not sure why they couldn't. People in Europe can buy them. The only issue is that the resale market is not very well developed.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got this on Friday and you are just posting it today? :eek: what the @&#$ :p jk.

This is a good development. I think as was speculated in the past, when they finally did integrate, it would be on a 10 to 1 ratio with DC points. WIth this change, it will be much simpler where 1 AP point = 1 DC point.

I wonder if all AP members will automatically be enrolled in the MVC Exchange Company, or if there will be an enrollment fee? I would like to think that AP points owners would just move seamlessly in to the points program and not have an enrollment fee. Just as DC trust point owners are. However, for weeks owners at Phuket Beach Club, I would expect the usual enrollment fee at current prices like they did in Europe. Hopefully for those already enrolled won't have to pay additional fees to enroll more weeks.
Well my only excuse is Jet Lag. We left Phuket Beach Club on Fri 4th Dec after a 17 night stay and the email arrived as we were in transit(29 hours, 3 flights and a taxi ride).

Hopefully this will be the first step on the road to an integrated points system across the MVCI family. The simple description of this is that all AP points holdings will be divided by 10 to align with DC points holdings. Price per point will be multiplied by 10 to bring AP points prices in line with DC points. My holding will drop from 30,000 to 3,000 but will still get me the same reservations as before. MFs will also be multiplied by 10 but will essentially be the same as before.

There are still many unanswered questions. e.g. Status - will AP come into line with DC staus levels - at present there are really only 2 levels in the AP system - and the top level comes in at 66,000 AP points which will be 6,600 after 1st Jan. Enrolled weeks in the AP system do not count towards status. There'sa couple of isses to be sorted right there.

We await the next round of announcements in anticipation and trepidation.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....weird. I did just get a new Windows 10 computer, which seems to open PDF files in Edge (whatever that is)....and it appears you are correct, that the URL points back to me. Looks like I need to do some learning to figure out how to link online PDF's going forward. :(

Windows 10 brings a new WEB Browser - Edge. Not as functional as IE and so on my upgraded PCs we still use IE & Firefox where appropriate and Edge just sits there not getting used.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure why they couldn't. People in Europe can buy them. The only issue is that the resale market is not very well developed.

There is very little market for resale AP points at present - there are some resale brokers in Europe who will assist - for a fee of course. I've found nothing for Asian owners - There's a gap in the market. So like most illiquid markets, assessing a price is very difficult. However my rule of thumb is to use the resale price of a Phuket Beach Club platinum week as a guide. These seem to sell for between $6000 and $7500 USD. It currently requires 32,700 AP points to reserve a PBC plat week so that to me sets the guide price of an AP point at between 18 and 23 US cents per AP point. After the realignment that would be $1.80 to $2.30 per point aligned with DC points. As you will see there is a significant difference to what the resale market for DC points would be. There are however NO JUNK Fees as far as I know for resale AP points. Also there does not seem to be much ROFR activity since MVCIAP has plenty of unsold points inventory.

The only resort at which weeks owners can enrol their weeks into the AP points overlay programme and thus then exchange weeks for points on an annual basis is Phuket Beach Club. Mai Khao Beach Club and Bangkok Empire Place have no weeks owners and the other resorts in Kaui and Las Vegas in the MVCI AP points programme, weeks owners would enrol in the DC points programme.

For a PBC weeks owner to enrol, there is a steep price - buy 17,000 AP points from MVCI AP - cost at around $24,650 USD. That is a steep entry cost. My entry cost in 2009 was $5,400 USD for 6000 additional AP points. I had already purchased 24,000 Ap points for $21,600 USD

So the question remains - what will the integration bring for PBC weeks owners not enrolled in the MVCI AP points system. Will owners already enrolled in the DC program via US and European weeks enrollment be able to enrole their PBC weeks in the DC points programme and if so at what cost.

Watch this space.

baza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excited?

I wonder what they are getting so excited about?

"We are excited about this enhancement" :banana:

As far as I can see its just been a divide by 10 on the AP points to bring them into some sort of theoretical Parity with DC points but no undertaking no commitment at all as to when the much mooted interchange of AP and DC points will be enabled ..is that your understanding also?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Windows 10 brings a new WEB Browser - Edge. Not as functional as IE and so on my upgraded PCs we still use IE & Firefox where appropriate and Edge just sits there not getting used.

Not to turn this into a Windows 10 thread, but I too immediately changed my default browser to IE, but whenever I open a PDF file (be it one already on my computer, or one I click to via the web), it opens it in Edge. Even when I go to the area where you can set what program to use to open certain file types, for PDF's, the only option is Edge. I guess its Microsoft's attempt to drive Adobe out of the market.

Last edited:

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what they are getting so excited about?

"We are excited about this enhancement" :banana:

As far as I can see its just been a divide by 10 on the AP points to bring them into some sort of theoretical Parity with DC points but no undertaking no commitment at all as to when the much mooted interchange of AP and DC points will be enabled ..is that your understanding also?

I guess I'm a glass half full guy rather than a glass half empty person. The integration of the two systems has been promised for 2 years now. This is the first step, albeit a small one, on that road towards integration.

What integration will look like is still uncertain. For AP points owners who do not own weeks, it should open up far greater usage options across the Marriott Vacation brand. Access to all the other resorts via an interchange of AP and DC points would give a better deal when trying to reserve other non-AP Club resorts.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something?

In looking at the hotel deals in the AP program.......they strike me as very poor values for the number of Destination Points it would take to stay at them?

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm a glass half full guy rather than a glass half empty person. The integration of the two systems has been promised for 2 years now. This is the first step, albeit a small one, on that road towards integration.

What integration will look like is still uncertain. For AP points owners who do not own weeks, it should open up far greater usage options across the Marriott Vacation brand. Access to all the other resorts via an interchange of AP and DC points would give a better deal when trying to reserve other non-AP Club resorts.

I thought they were up to something. Thanks for sharing this info on this and your past insights on the ap (including guessitmates on fmv). Certainly look to rent from there someday at a minimum. Maybe visit my brother somewhere in the country.