• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aldi becomes the latest major UK supermarket to commit to avoid selling US meat

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
The article isn’t very clear, but it sounds like it refers only to Aldi stores in the UK. I don’t see how they could supply all the US stores solely with produce from the UK.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Although British food has improved significantly in quality and taste, this is a bit over the top.

Cheers

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This quite interesting to me. We have cruised Cunard, a classically British cruise line, several times and my only complaint about the food is their lousy beef ( steaks). No matter which cut they serve, filet mignon or prime rib or strip steak, it is terrible, and I eat it medium rare which is hard to ruin. I finally got smart and stopped ordering it.

So, let them eat their own grass fed beef. I’ll take the corn fed, American beef any day. More for me, LOL.

And by the way, I believe they are supposed to stop giving meds to the steer quite a bit prior to slaughter....

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The article isn’t very clear, but it sounds like it refers only to Aldi stores in the UK. I don’t see how they could supply all the US stores solely with produce from the UK.
Yes, this has nothing to do with ALDI in the US.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
ALDI USA uses entirely separate distribution channels. The above linked article is aimed at UK consumers and is designed to play on European COVID-19 fears.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I celebrated this thread by buying a thick ribeye steak at Safeway -- on sale for $8.97/lb. and presumably American Angus. Salt cure overnight in the fridge, then grilled steak, baked potato with the works, and buttered peas for dinner tomorrow. Life in America is Great.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The primary issue is that almost all chicken from a major producer in the USA is washed in a chlorine solution. This is because the conditions in which the chickens are raised is so unsanitary. As for Beef it is most USA Beef is shot up with hormones to accelerate growth.

I can still remember staying at the Union Jack Club in London back in the 80's. A 2 Bedroom Apartment cost us $50 USA per night. Our first morning we went down to the cafeteria for breakfast. You served the scrambled eggs with a sieve because they were in water. We did not eat in the cafeteria again.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The primary issue is that almost all chicken from a major producer in the USA is washed in a chlorine solution. This is because the conditions in which the chickens are raised is so unsanitary.

Additionally, the UK and many other countries maintain sanitary condition throughout the whole process of preparing the chicken. We wait until the very end and do the chlorine solution wash.

When we stayed in timeshares in Scotland and Italy I baked chicken in the oven using only salt and pepper. It tasted absolutely incredible.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
We grow our own beef (Scottish Highland), chicken, etc., and actually prefer its taste to the corn fed beef and factory chicken common in grocery stores in the U.S. Our beef is grass fed supplemented with spent grain from breweries (very little sugar left after the mashing process), and we have it processed by a small butcher that will dry age the carcass for 2-3 weeks for us. The result is a bit gamier than the common U.S. beef, which is typically butchered at 11 months old and not aged after harvesting while ours are butchered at 3-4 years old. Might be an acquired taste, but I wouldn't condemn British beef just because it tastes different than U.S. beef.

Similarly, we don't raise the typical U.S. factory chickens that are bred to the point that they put on some much weight in their 8-9 weeks of life that they can't stand up because their leg bones won't support them. We tried one group of them once and that was it. It's not just the chlorine wash, which is worth avoiding itself, or the antibiotics they get, but also how the chickens are raised and what their growth rate is.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Local meat is the way to go, absolutely. Eric, I would gladly buy your meat, but I doubt you are local to me.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Local meat is the way to go, absolutely. Eric, I would gladly buy your meat, but I doubt you are local to me.
Absolutely. We get all of our beef from my wife's former co-worker. She and her husband have a ranch not far away, and they have a local butcher process the meat. The best part is that we don't have to buy a full side or quarter, instead we can just get what we want, and any amount. 10 lbs of hamburger, 4 packages of tenderloins, 2 roasts, for example. Oh, and the meat is so much better than what we find in the stores, even if it is "prime" cuts.

Kurt

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am SO addicted to the large Aldi Choceur dark chocolate bars with hazelnuts it's actually disgraceful! For years I would bring them back from Germany every trip, as many as 40 and 50 bars plus other German chocolates. When Aldi came to USA I was thrilled ! Now I just have to haul back other German chocolates:)
Once years ago coming back thru customs here I got stopped and asked if they were for resale. I said heck no, they are for me:)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I must admit that I've become partial to the Moser Roth dark chocolates at Aldi myself. I'll have to give the Choceur ones a try, too.

Reactions: mav

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I am SO addicted to the large Aldi Choceur dark chocolate bars with hazelnuts it's actually disgraceful! For years I would bring them back from Germany every trip, as many as 40 and 50 bars plus other German chocolates. When Aldi came to USA I was thrilled ! Now I just have to haul back other German chocolates:)
Once years ago coming back thru customs here I got stopped and asked if they were for resale. I said heck no, they are for me:)

i made those hazelnut bars part of my corona virus stockpile, enough bars for one per day for 3 months. So good!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A step up from Aldi dark chocolate bars with hazelnuts is Baci dark chocolate with hazelnuts. When I eat Aldi dark chocolate bar with hazelnuts, it is good. But if you follow up with a Baci dark chocolate with hazelnuts, the Aldi one is just bland. I have one more bar of the Aldi and after that I won't buy anymore. The other good one is Ritter Dark Chocolate with Whole Hazelnuts. But Baci still wins hands down. The Baci stuff is quite expensive and I always order 10 or more bags at a time during cooler season. I used to be able to find it in Walmart store but I haven't been into one in quite a while.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG I just pulled the Baci up, and yes, I have brought them back when I go to Italy:) Love them too. It's great to see other chocos