• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska Airlines to stop allowing emotional support animals on flights

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Alaska Airlines to stop allowing emotional support animals on flights

Traveling with service or emotional support animals

IMPORTANT CHANGES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2021

Alaska Airlines has adopted a new policy on the transport of service animals, following substantial changes to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) rules on the topic.

Effective January 11, 2021, Alaska will accept only service dogs which are trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a qualified individual with a disability. Emotional support animals will no longer be accepted.

Alaska will continue to accept emotional support animals under our current policy for reservations booked prior to January 11, 2021, for flights on or before February 28, 2021. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good. I've had a few run-ins with these so-called "emotional support animals," (admittedly, not on an airplane, but in airports), where they were aggressive, and obviously not trained for anything. Just someone's pet they chose not to leave at home. I hope retail stores start doing the same thing.

Dave

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not think this changes anything except that people will need to pay the $100 pet fee to travel with their pet. They can still travel with pets in the cabin. As a pet owner, I am grateful that I can fly with my pet in the cabin if needed. I would not want to traumatize my small Cavaliers by placing them in cargo. Worse, the airlines have lost pets who are in cargo. We rarely fly with them because flying itself is traumatizing. But if I needed to take them somewhere because I was moving or there was some other critical reason, I am glad I can pay a fee and they can fly under the seat in the cabin.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have never had a flight problem with service dogs yet but I have had problems with kids, overweight people, smelly people, loud people and drunk people on many flights.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I do not think this changes anything except that people will need to pay the $100 pet fee to travel with their pet. They can still travel with pets in the cabin. As a pet owner, I am grateful that I can fly with my pet in the cabin if needed. I would not want to traumatize my small Cavaliers by placing them in cargo. Worse, the airlines have lost pets who are in cargo. We rarely fly with them because flying itself is traumatizing. But if I needed to take them somewhere because I was moving or there was some other critical reason, I am glad I can pay a fee and they can fly under the seat in the cabin.

However the fee will make it so only those that NEED to take their pet will and those that just want to take their pet will leave them at home.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
However the fee will make it so only those that NEED to take their pet will and those that just want to take their pet will leave them at home.

I am doubtful that a fee will deter many people who just want to travel with pets.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am doubtful that a fee will deter many people who just want to travel with pets.

But at least they’ll be in a carrier.

Cheers

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
What? I cannot take my tiger pet with me on the plane now? Oh man!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It will, they are using the current "emotional support" animal as a way to avoid the fee and take their pet too. They don't want to pay the fee. I suspect that with the fee they will forgo the pet.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It will, they are using the current "emotional support" animal as a way to avoid the fee and take their pet too. They don't want to pay the fee. I suspect that with the fee they will forgo the pet.

Just curious, what makes you think that? I know it would not deter me if I wanted to travel with my pet for pleasure. However, I do not travel with my pets for pleasure because it is not good for them. Pets hate going on airplanes. So I will only take them on an airplane if absolutely necessary.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
But at least they’ll be in a carrier.

Cheers
Carriers can be opened. On my most recent flight, we had a loose cat in the cabin who caused a bit of a commotion for five minutes until it was found.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I'll miss the cute pony support animal. ;)

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what makes you think that? I know it would not deter me if I wanted to travel with my pet for pleasure. However, I do not travel with my pets for pleasure because it is not good for them. Pets hate going on airplanes. So I will only take them on an airplane if absolutely necessary.
Same. To me, being on an airplane is a miserable experience. It's also very loud. I would never want to subject my pets to that unless it was absolutely necessary. Also, I don't understand the point of not paying $100. to for their pet to travel. Don't they have to pay for a psychology visit to get a note that says it's a support animal? That's usually over $100.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Same. To me, being on an airplane is a miserable experience. It's also very loud. I would never want to subject my pets to that unless it was absolutely necessary. Also, I don't understand the point of not paying $100. to for their pet to travel. Don't they have to pay for a psychology visit to get a note that says it's a support animal? That's usually over $100.
The lengths that I see folks go through to save "pennies" baffles me. I know folks who will do things like this to save the $100, and then drive through Starbucks and pay $5 for a coffee. I guess it's just me but over the course of a year that coffee habit will cost a lot more than $100. I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, but I'm definitely giving someone the side eye when they try to bend the rules to save a few bucks.

Btw, I think that these folks find people on the internet to vouch for their support animals. Pay once and get a pass for a lot of things.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I started another thread with all one needs to know on the DOT and Airline rules on this topic.

Cheers

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I do not think this changes anything except that people will need to pay the $100 pet fee to travel with their pet.
Pets are not allowed outside their carrier, so that alone is a big difference to those who have allergies to these animals. Keeping them contained also helps to contain the dander.

Kurt

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I had the displeasure of sitting behind Daryl Hannah when her under seat dog pooped. I think she was gone from her seat forty five minutes to clean up dog and carrier. And I wouldn't expect her or anyone else to deplane in an emergency without their pet. I'd hate to have to travel by plane with a pet -- I'd be a nervous wreck from the minute the arrangements were made.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
ESA Registration is not required by law and will not make your dog an official Emotional Support Animal. There are steps that you need to take to make your pet an official ESA, but an ESA registration is NOT one of them. This is one of the most common misperceptions when it comes to making your dog an Emotional Support Dog. Instead of registering your Emotional Support Animal, you must obtain an ESA letter from a licensed mental health professional.

To qualify for an ESA letter online, complete the questionnaire in the link below. A licensed mental health professional can assist you with your ESA letter for travel and for living with you in your home.

To qualify for an ESA letter, you must work with a licensed mental health professional who specializes in understanding the benefits of assistance animals. An ESA letter must contain specific language and the only LMHP who is well versed in ESA regulations can write a quality ESA letter.

Airline Policies for using your ESA Letter:

American Airlines
Delta Airlines
JetBlue
Southwest
United
Alaska (formerly Virgin)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The lengths that I see folks go through to save "pennies" baffles me. I know folks who will do things like this to save the $100, and then drive through Starbucks and pay $5 for a coffee. I guess it's just me but over the course of a year that coffee habit will cost a lot more than $100.
Not at all a surprise. For years people have been complaining that conditions on airplanes are deteriorating. Yet every time a carrier offers lower quality in exchange for lower air fares, people buy the tickets, and competitors are forced to match or lose customers.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Airline Policies for using your ESA Letter:

American Airlines
Delta Airlines
JetBlue
Southwest
United
Alaska (formerly Virgin)

As regards Alaska, the information currently in that link is not correct as pf January 11, 2021.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
As regards Alaska, the information currently in that link is not correct as pf January 11, 2021.
Yea, I saw that. As for the others, they should be or perhaps some can use it to reach the site. ;)

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never had a flight problem with service dogs yet but I have had problems with kids, overweight people, smelly people, loud people and drunk people on many flights.

Bill
I totally agree. Never had an ESA kick the back of my seat the whole flight, scream the whole flight, or take over the whole armrest on my seat. The number of incidents pales in comparison to the number of human incidents. But airlines can make more money by charging a pretty hefty pet fee to place the animal in a carry on under your seat - I would dare say much of the decision is probably financial.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned