• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alamo rejecting Chase CC as primary insurance

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
At car rental counter today. Rep asked for name of our insurance company. I said, "Chase Reserve credit card is primary." He pushed back and said "That is secondary and we have the right to make a claim with whatever company we want." I told him Chase credit card is primary but got the impression this was a corp policy and they were not going to rent the auto to us if we did not provide it. I had no choice.

Has anyone experienced this? Does this make the Chase primary coverage worthless? Or is this just another car rental counter stunt. We gave them the name but hope to fight if anything happens.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Another car rental counter stunt. The decision isn't on them who to file the claim to, it is on you. They just go to you for payment of damage and you can claim through your CC or car insurance. I always try to avoid the counter, checkin online before you depart if possible or if they have kiosks, use those instead of going to the counter.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have never had a car rental ompany ask who our insurance was through and we always decline their coverage.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Rental car company employees make a commission on adding insurance (they used to anyway)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I had a horrible issue at a Dollar counter. Even though I specifically declined coverage the rep added it. When I questioned it she said it was just a hold on the cc. We had to drive back to the counter at the airport to fix, Dollar customer service wouldn't do anything. It took 30 min to fix at the counter. Never again.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yeah, the counter staff tries to pull crazy stuff. The latest they tried to pull on me is when I arrived at a fairly small airport later at night, and I think I had a reservation for an economy or maybe an intermediate car. He first tried to push me hard to upgrade to an SUV "for a special price". "You're such a tall guy; I don't know if you will fit in the small car!" I didn't bite, and then he had to eat crow and confess they were out of the smaller cars, and asked if I wanted an SUV or a minivan (for the original contract price, of course). What a jerk.

Kurt

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We encountered something similar. I said Chase CC and the counter person said it was only good for collision and not liability insurance. The person insisted on proof of auto insurance that carried liability. I have not checked to see if it is true. I gave them my auto insurance card as a result.

Reaction score
A few years ago, I took my wife to Dallas (where I was working at the time), and at the National car rental desk at Dallas Love Field, the person said it was Texas state law that I had to get their coverage. I refused and said I had GEICO. She said I could be ticketed if I was in an accident blah blah blah. I did not take it, did not get ticketed, etc. Later, I checked and did not find this "law", other than a car renter must have car insurance on their personal vehicle that extends to rentals.

It is just them trying to make $$$.

TS

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I don’t argue with them anymore. I just decline the coverage. I keep proof of insurance and simply say no.

I noticed on my most recent rental they pushed a little harder. Mostly pushing on the loss of use charges. She didn’t push to hard as I’ve learned to show absolutely no interest.

The truth is they can’t refuse payment for damages. If they do, they might have trouble enforcing a claim in court.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
With a lot of these car rental companies, their margin of profit is razor thin. They try to make up for this by pushing all these extra coverages. It reminds me of when people buy expensive things like cars, large appliances, & electronics (TVs, for example). The stores' and dealers' profit margins are very thin so they try to push other things on buyers such as extended warranties.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We encountered something similar. I said Chase CC and the counter person said it was only good for collision and not liability insurance. The person insisted on proof of auto insurance that carried liability. I have not checked to see if it is true. I gave them my auto insurance card as a result.
Every state that I know of requires you to have liability insurance when you drive. I don't think Chase cards provide coverage for anything other than damage to your rental vehicle, so this seems accurate.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I had a horrible issue at a Dollar counter. Even though I specifically declined coverage the rep added it. When I questioned it she said it was just a hold on the cc. We had to drive back to the counter at the airport to fix, Dollar customer service wouldn't do anything. It took 30 min to fix at the counter. Never again.

Advantage rental cars on Kauai slipped the insurance in after Cliff declined. I'm convinced he was targeted as an older man. I only noticed it after the fact because we were leaving 3-4 days early when we had a family situation at home. Of course we also got nailed on a multi-day rental price vs a week rental. I think I started pondering the price (vs the full week we just paid for a car on Maui) as we waited for our flight and discovered we'd been charged insurance by the time we boarded. Within a few days I was on the phone bitching, and did get a little bit of a credit, but certainly didn't get the insurance fee removed. Told them any time the subject came up until I died I'd tell anyone who would listen that Advantage on Kauai not only cheated us, they targeted us.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Advantage rental cars on Kauai slipped the insurance in after Cliff declined. I'm convinced he was targeted as an older man. I only noticed it after the fact because we were leaving 3-4 days early when we had a family situation at home. Of course we also got nailed on a multi-day rental price vs a week rental. I think I started pondering the price (vs the full week we just paid for a car on Maui) as we waited for our flight and discovered we'd been charged insurance by the time we boarded. Within a few days I was on the phone bitching, and did get a little bit of a credit, but certainly didn't get the insurance fee removed. Told them any time the subject came up until I died I'd tell anyone who would listen that Advantage on Kauai not only cheated us, they targeted us.
It bothered me enough to double check the bill as we were headed to our hotel. Sure enough I discovered the lie. I am pretty easygoing unless you lie to me then all bets are off. I will move heaven and earth to get things made right if it involves a lie. My poor husband knew where this was going when corporate didn't help. :D When we drove back to the airport we had to wait in line and when I was face to face with the woman she (of course) doubled down on the lie, then switched to saying that the whole reservation had to be canceled and rebooked at prevailing (much higher) rates. Of course there was no manager on-site. I told her that I would patiently wait until this was fixed and that I wasn't going to be leaving until it was resolved no matter how long it took. Then I just stood there. I didn't move and I didn't say a word. It was a total standoff. Finally another woman at the counter motioned me over and was magically able to remove the insurance charge immediately. I will say this, after this experience I would just uber everywhere before I would ever book a car with Dollar again. The company approves of it's employees cheating.

Side note, we were in Phoenix for a wedding and stayed at a Marriott property in Peoria. After the airport debacle we checked into our room and wanted to lay down and cool off (literally as it was 105) and when we pulled the covers back, we discovered dirty sheets and a mattress that had suspicious stains around the edges (bedbugs). We had to change rooms. It just wasn't our day lol.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I had to show my insurance card to prove I had liability insurance in Kona and Newark. My credit card covered the car but not the liability. My auto policy covered everything. In Kona, my insurance app was not good to rent a car. My wife had a paper copy.

You want to see a big show, rent a car in Mexico and decline every thing, lol.

Bill

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would avoid Budget rental car at Las Vegas airport if at all possible. After I waited in line for almost half an hour, the agent lied to my face about several things in order to try to upsell me.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Doesn't a car rental company have to provide at least the minimum third-party liability insurance in every state? I can't imagine how that minimal protection wouldn't be extended to potential victims.

Some people, city-dwellers for example, may not own a car and so may not have any liability insurance.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I think Vegas corners the market on shady car rentals. Late one night...
Thrifty put us in a car with dents+scratches. I noted every one on a check-out sheet.
After I returned the car, they called to say I that owed them. I told them to stuff it.
I sent a copy of the check-out to them and corporate, who offered some coupons.
"For your trouble..." Um, no, thanks.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mexican car rental cost over 300.00 when the base price of the weekly rental was almost nothing. I couldn't find anything about what insurance you HAVE to have in mexico on the internet. Do any of you rent cars in mexico frequently? Do you have any car rental advice??

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
My mexican car rental cost over 300.00 when the base price of the weekly rental was almost nothing. I couldn't find anything about what insurance you HAVE to have in mexico on the internet. Do any of you rent cars in mexico frequently? Do you have any car rental advice??

That base price that is almost nothing, is sufficient by law. It includes the minimum mandatory third party liability. The problem is that Mexican car rental companies will refuse to rent you a car unless you purchase additional expensive coverage. That additional coverage is optional, but they will make you buy it or they will not let you rent a car. Companies differ on what kind of additional coverage they require. It can be just extra liability, or collision as well.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
A few years ago, I took my wife to Dallas (where I was working at the time), and at the National car rental desk at Dallas Love Field, the person said it was Texas state law that I had to get their coverage. I refused and said I had GEICO. She said I could be ticketed if I was in an accident blah blah blah. I did not take it, did not get ticketed, etc. Later, I checked and did not find this "law", other than a car renter must have car insurance on their personal vehicle that extends to rentals.

It is just them trying to make $$$.

TS
So what if someone doesn’t own a car? How do rental car companies stay in business in places like NYC or any other city where most people rely on public transportation?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So what if someone doesn’t own a car? How do rental car companies stay in business in places like NYC or any other city where most people rely on public transportation?
I would think if you don't have your own liability insurance, you would have to buy the liability coverage through the car rental agency. Otherwise you are driving without insurance. CWD on a credit card isn't insurance and of course doesn't cover liability. Is a car rental agency culpable if they let you take a vehicle off the lot without ensuring you have liability coverage?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I would think if you don't have your own liability insurance, you would have to buy the liability coverage through the car rental agency. Otherwise you are driving without insurance. CWD on a credit card isn't insurance and of course doesn't cover liability. Is a car rental agency culpable if they let you take a vehicle off the lot without ensuring you have liability coverage?
Good question, I would think they could be. I hardly think renters without insurance are taking liability insurance.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I am pretty sure that any liability insurance car rentals sell, is supplemental insurance. Basic liability that is required by law is always included.

They ask about your insurance to try to sell you their supplemental liability. You can decline it even if you don't own a car and don't have any insurance. Your liability will still be covered by the basic insurance that the rental company has for its fleet.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I am pretty sure that any liability insurance car rentals sell, is supplemental insurance. Basic liability that is required by law is always included.

They ask about your insurance to try to sell you their supplemental liability. You can decline it even if you don't own a car and don't have any insurance. Your liability will still be covered by the basic insurance that the rental company has for its fleet.
Which makes chase cc insurance a good supplemental