• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alamo/Costco Rental rate just dropped

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As per recommendations on TUG, I periodically re-check car rental rates and found that same exact rental from Alamo/Costco on Maui dropped $5.50 for a weekly rental from what I had booked a week ago.

Yeah, ok...not huge $ but certainly a gallon of gas or so. :D

Interesting to note, when I called up the old reservation to cancel, it still had the old rate and hadn't automatically adjusted down.

It certainly is worth checking periodically.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been watching Costco/Alamo for prices on Maui and they've gone down a couple of times. Yesterday I booked a weekly rental for $110 including almost $40 in taxes & fees! That is $70 for a week in a compact car.

There is a new customer facility charge of $1 per day that wasn't on my first booking several weeks ago.

Taxes & fees:

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees
Customer Facility Charge 1.00/day $7.00
Airport Concession Fee Recovery $5.95
Rental Mtr Vhcle Schg 3.00 Usd/day $21.00
Veh.registration Fee / Weight Tax $2.45
Sales Tax (4.1660%) $3.31

Edited to add:
You always have to make a new reservation if you find a better rate, at least with Alamo. They don't adjust prior reservations automatically, at least I've never had it happen to me.

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As is always the case, these rates are date sensitive and subject to supply and demand. That said, the difference between a compact and midsize car is $3, so I did book the midsize. We are there 11/15- 11/22 and the total price with tax & fees is now $157.50 picking up at OGG.

This is the best I could do using a $20 discount coupon on-line. I could save roughly $10 more with a lowball rate with hotwire, but there's an excellent chance I'd have to pay for a second driver at $10/day which doesn't apply to Costco rentals.

Sometimes this all makes my head spin.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Good info! Would it be better to lock in a car rental now for a June 2009 vacation, or wait till a later date? We will be on Oahu; are summer rentals difficult to obtain? DawnB

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good info! Would it be better to lock in a car rental now for a June 2009 vacation, or wait till a later date? We will be on Oahu; are summer rentals difficult to obtain? DawnB

Car rentals are different than plane tickets or timeshare exchanges. You can always cancel without penalty, unless you go through Priceline or Hotwire. So I always reserve a car as soon as I know when and where, then just watch. If the price goes down, I just make a new reservation and cancel my old one.

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do exactly as BevL does. We make reservations as soon as we know our travel dates, and we also recheck reservations several times. We have saved lots of money by rechecking the rates.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also cancel Priceline reservations - IF you haven't put in an offer that is accepted. In that case, your credit card is charged and there are no refunds or changes. I've made and canceled car reservations on Priceline several times as the prices dropped.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
You might also consider booking a smaller car and waiting to get the upgrade pitch at the counter.

We traveled to Maui with friends in July. We booked a midsize SUV for $350. Our friends booked a midsize sedan for $160. When they arrived, they offered a small SUV for an additional $10/day. With taxes, he paid about $100 less than us for a very similar car.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to routinely book a subcompact at the bottom of the rental rates and get placed in a mid or full-size car at no additional charge. That ended a few years back when more and more of the places actually started stocking tiny cars in their fleets.

When the difference between a subcompact and a mid-size rental rate is $3 a week, it's not worth it to book a tiny car.

When we were in Oahu at Spring Break we rented a Malibu, it had trouble with the trunk and were put into a Buick Regal, and when the check engine light came on I traded it for a Saturn SUV. Funny thing was while the Saturn was a larger vehicle, the luggage space wasn't any larger than the trunk of the Regal.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer a small car, easier to park and better gas mileage. The midsize was a few dollars more, but the compact will be fine this trip.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I have found recently my last 3 trips if you arrive late in the day there aren't any small cars left as people want to save money on gas I booked a compact for National at Indianapolis- all they had were large SUVs available- finally found a Toyota Rav 4 on the lot.
In MAui booked a compact with Alamo and was told to choose a midsize. Be careful with Alamo in MAui. I had to return my first car after driving for a little while and then it took me 3 trys to find a car that the key door opener worked correctly. People leave the keys in their pockets while swimming and short them out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can also cancel Priceline reservations - IF you haven't put in an offer that is accepted. In that case, your credit card is charged and there are no refunds or changes. I've made and canceled car reservations on Priceline several times as the prices dropped.

I'm not sure I understand this. If your bid isn't accepted - you don't have a Priceline reservation to cancel.

Sunterra

Reaction score
Interesting to note, when I called up the old reservation to cancel, it still had the old rate and hadn't automatically adjusted down.
The rental agencies do not adjust down without your help.

I'm not sure I understand this. If your bid isn't accepted - you don't have a Priceline reservation to cancel.
To me, and obviously, to you; a PL reservation is one you bid on. But I suppose that that f3 is talking about a 'regular' booking that can also be done on the PL site.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just recalculated my Costco Alamo reservation for our upcoming trip to Sedona, and was able to save another $13 for the week. Not bad - that's a modest lunch for two somewhere...

Now, if I could only get my November Kauai reservation to go down - the latest prices are up over $100 from what they were last April. :eek: Good thing I made the reservation back then!

Dave

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Costco Hertz price became respectable. I wouldn't have even bothered to check again had I not seen this thread. Thanks.

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coral Reef Hilton Head, Indian Wells Condoshare
I was looking at costco/alamo for next May and all cars come up over 200 for a week.. pretty steep. I guess I will keep looking and they may come down. I have a lot of time and usually book when I see a good value.. It would seem from these posts that good value would be in the 150 range.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked today after seeing this thread and my rate has gone up from when I booked. We will be on Kauai this Friday. Back in August I locked in a Costco rate of $179.11 for a convertible for a week. This rate includes taxes, surcharges/fees and second driver!!

I was really excited when I got this rate...recommended by a fellow tugger.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can make a regular reservation through priceline without putting in a bid. I had 3 different reservations that I cancelled as the prices dropped.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Howard -- we had cockroaches with our Alamo car in Maui :eek:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was looking at costco/alamo for next May and all cars come up over 200 for a week.. pretty steep. I guess I will keep looking and they may come down. I have a lot of time and usually book when I see a good value.. It would seem from these posts that good value would be in the 150 range.

Teddie, take note that the Costco coupons expire December 31st. They'll have new coupons for the new year, they just aren't there yet. So the rate you saw was probably the regular prices. Check them later on. As I recall, the next year's coupons show up on the Costco website in early December.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
As per recommendations on TUG, I periodically re-check car rental rates and found that same exact rental from Alamo/Costco on Maui dropped $5.50 for a weekly rental from what I had booked a week ago.

Yeah, ok...not huge $ but certainly a gallon of gas or so. :D

It certainly is worth checking periodically.

Keep checking, Steve. I think you will find an even better deal as you get closer. Gotta love those Costco Alamo prices! We ended up with a fabulous rate of $179 for fifteen days for a full-size car in Tampa.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep checking, Steve. I think you will find an even better deal as you get closer. Gotta love those Costco Alamo prices! We ended up with a fabulous rate of $179 for fifteen days for a full-size car in Tampa.

Have you gotta be a member of Costco to get these prices?

Thanks, Sterling

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Sterling, we have rented dozens of cars through Costco, as members, but Alamo has never asked for our membership card. :)

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just dropped again...

A check this morning has the mid-size down about $6 from my last update...or $11 from my first reservation.

Compact rates went down even more. With taxes and fee's we now have a reservation for a compact (Chevy Cobalt or similar) for $144.66 out the door.

I'll keep checking until we leave. :cheer:

Mimi

TUG Review Crew
Reaction score
We just booked our Alamo/Costco cars for Maui and Kona for June/July 2009. Thanks. We used our Quicksilver I.D. # and the price was the same whether we used our Costco membership # or just left the box blank. Total price for Economy (2 weeks) in Maui was $383.82. Total price for Midsize (2 weeks) in Kona was $406.41. Using the online Alamo discount on their website, the rates were higher.

Last edited: