• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AKV questions

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you've read my other recent DVC thread you know I'm down to AKV, BLT, or not buying more DVC at this time. We've only stayed at AKV once, in Jambo, though we have been to all the AKV restaurants (including Sanaa) multiple times. So for those of you who have stayed at AKV...

Are the animals you see from the various Savannas appreciably different - Pembe and Sunset at Kidani and Sunset, Arusha, and Uzima at Jambo.

Is Jambo or Kidani the first 1st to pick up on the bus route? And which is the first drop off...though that matters far less.

How does Johari Treasures (Kidani) compare to the Zawadi Marketplace on the food/drink front?

And is there anything else you think I should know? TIA

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We've own AKV for 5 years. Buses start at/drop off 1st at K except Disney Springs, which is reverse. We prefer J and always get standard/value rooms. Value are 40% savanna, 40% pool, 20% parking lot, which is still a fine view over foilage at front of building and you can't really see the parking lot. J standard are either pool views or "lesser" savanna views, which might include a holding pen, closer to main building, etc. We have gotten savanna views 75% of time with standard rooms and 90% with values. I actually like the pool view a lot. At K all standards look over the front drive area. Standard rooms are a great points saver, IMHO. The K store is much smaller than J, but if you took out all of the "gift" items, they probably have about the same stuff. Coffee/drink station is there in K vs at the Mara in J.
Different savannas have diff animals and certain animals prefer certain spots at different times of the day. Some animals sleep on the savanna so if you have a s view, you might have either nothing or some bedding down after sunset. K has many more rooms and is easier to book than J. We prefer J because of the J pool area, larger lobby, being near the Mara, but I'd happily take any room at K. The hallways are VERY long in both, so request near elevator if that matters to you. They're very good at keeping you close to lobby and not in East Egypt if you do.
IMHO, AKV is a solid DVC choice. But, as it seems your 1st choice is BLT, why do you not want to purchase more there? What is the pricing difference?

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only reason you would want to purchase at Animal Kingdom would be home resort priority for the Value rooms in Jambo house. They are the lowest points on the Walt Disney World property using DVC points. It is very difficult to book in those rooms during normal times.

I love Animal Kingdom Villas. Although it is one of the farthest resorts on the property, if you stay in Jambo House (during normal times), when everything is open, it is a great place to stay. It has a good quick service, table service and a good pool. Nice market place, great lobby area, bar and if you do get the Value units (the rooms are close to the lobby area) so the walk is not that far.

One of my favorites.

If you want to stay for the least amount of DVC points, this place is it. The only downfall is that the maintenance fees is one of the higher ones.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you've read my other recent DVC thread you know I'm down to AKV, BLT, or not buying more DVC at this time. We've only stayed at AKV once, in Jambo, though we have been to all the AKV restaurants (including Sanaa) multiple times. So for those of you who have stayed at AKV...

Are the animals you see from the various Savannas appreciably different - Pembe and Sunset at Kidani and Sunset, Arusha, and Uzima at Jambo.

Is Jambo or Kidani the first 1st to pick up on the bus route? And which is the first drop off...though that matters far less.

How does Johari Treasures (Kidani) compare to the Zawadi Marketplace on the food/drink front?

And is there anything else you think I should know? TIA
I don't see much difference in the marketplace options other than the size. This link https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/animal-kingdom-lodge/animals.htm should help you with the animal options. I don't use the buses routinely so can't speak there other than I know at one point the Park bus stopped and dropped off at Kidani first. I think some of the main differences are the restaurant options/counter service, pool and parking. The under building parking at Kidani cuts down tremendously on the walking if you have a vehicle. Personally I wouldn't stay at AKV, SSR or OKW without a car, or basically any WDW location without direct park access. I wouldn't count on value or concierge rooms, I'd look at them as a plus if they work out but nothing more. The extra bath in the 1 & 2 BR at Kidani is a major plus for some. With a car, the easy access to 192 can be helpful. Kidani does have longer hallways thus if one does decide to go without a car, it could be some major walking. The reality is that AKV is routinely available most of the time at 7 months other than value & concierge so one doesn't have to own there to stay there regularly. The pools are quite different but both are nice though Kidani is more kid friendly IMO. Kidani has grills, Jambo doesn't. The 3 BR villas are 2 story at Kidani. The rooms in general are larger at Kidani. Kidani also has the sport court and Pool table. You know the restaurant options and we prefer Sanaa partly because we're not big fans of buffet's and were not big fans of Jiko.

If you're going to buy in, it's probably as good a time as any to do so. As for BLT vs AKV, it's obviously personal preference and if one wanted one or the other most of the time, I'd say buy at that one. Otherwise, I do think BLT is a better choice if one is torn because it will be easier to rent, also has the standard view options, will be almost guaranteed to more than make up the price difference in maintenance fees over time and one should be able to get into AKV at the 7 month window routinely. BLT will also very likely have a proportionally higher resale value, not that I feel one should buy planning to sell later. I do not feel the different in RTU ending makes any difference.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Savanna animals, in another forum someone was kind enough to post this pic from Disney's website...

AKV savannas.jpg

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see much difference in the marketplace options other than the size....
Thank you again for your thoughts. At this point we're leaning toward AKV. Partly because we already have BLT points and partly because we're happy with split stays. We'll do AKV for AK and HS and BLT for MK and EPCOT. With two or three days at BCV or BWV for late nights at EPCOT (if/when they return).

For the next 10 or so years our kids (and their guests) will be in their late teens and 20s - that misnamed 'extra' bathroom in the 2BR at Kidani (and BLT) will be essential. Also, unlike Riviera, there is seating at the breakfast bar plus the 'dining room' table so I can easily get us all fed in the morning. Afterwards, if/when it's just the two of us, we can be in the hunt for value and KCC studios at Jambo. And at base, AKV is one of if not the nicest resorts in which to just 'stay' - amazing lobby, great themeing, good pools, great restaurants, and the animals are fun. It's just the transportation (and distance to the MK and EPCOT) that sucks. I asked about the buses because while I swore that I would never stay again at AKV without a car (and we probably won't), Disney seems to be putting in dedicated bus lanes around WDW. And so taking the bus - at least to AK - seems like a reasonable option.

Finally, in the absence of unforseen information I anticipate selling in about 15-20 years - once again getting out before the value of the contract heads toward zero. So the initial difference in price between AKV and BLT should cover the difference in dues.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you again for your thoughts. At this point we're leaning toward AKV. Partly because we already have BLT points and partly because we're happy with split stays. We'll do AKV for AK and HS and BLT for MK and EPCOT. With two or three days at BCV or BWV for late nights at EPCOT (if/when they return).

For the next 10 or so years our kids (and their guests) will be in their late teens and 20s - that misnamed 'extra' bathroom in the 2BR at Kidani (and BLT) will be essential. Also, unlike Riviera, there is seating at the breakfast bar plus the 'dining room' table so I can easily get us all fed in the morning. Afterwards, if/when it's just the two of us, we can be in the hunt for value and KCC studios at Jambo. And at base, AKV is one of if not the nicest resorts in which to just 'stay' - amazing lobby, great themeing, good pools, great restaurants, and the animals are fun. It's just the transportation (and distance to the MK and EPCOT) that sucks. I asked about the buses because while I swore that I would never stay again at AKV without a car (and we probably won't), Disney seems to be putting in dedicated bus lanes around WDW. And so taking the bus - at least to AK - seems like a reasonable option.

Finally, in the absence of unforseen information I anticipate selling in about 15-20 years - once again getting out before the value of the contract starts to head toward zero. So the initial difference in price between AKV and BLT should easily cover the difference in dues.
If the lobby is important, Jambo is much more impressive than Kidani.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the lobby is important, Jambo is much more impressive than Kidani.
Eh...not really important except for days we want to hang out at the resort. And I expect I'll be walking back and forth as desired...it isn't *that* far. Kidani Zazu is closer to Jambo than Kidani Pumba.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
In addition to being able to park under the Kidani building (sheltered from sun and rain), we like being able to park close to the elevator closest to our room. Doesn’t help with walks to/from the lobby but definitely does help with returning to the room after a long day!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
From J-K: there's a shuttle van between K-J that runs frequently if you don't want to walk, then you can hop on any bus (except DS) to get back to J quickly. We hop between K-J all the time. I'd never take a car from AKV to AK, we've always just taken the bus. Never waited over 15 minutes top, usually much less.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From J-K: there's a shuttle van between K-J that runs frequently if you don't want to walk, then you can hop on any bus (except DS) to get back to J quickly. We hop between K-J all the time. I'd never take a car from AKV to AK, we've always just taken the bus. Never waited over 15 minutes top, usually much less.
From some areas it's about as easy to walk as it is to get back to the bus area.