• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AITA for thinking if ROFR fails on a free/bargain timeshare that the seller could show some appreciation?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
All's fair in love and timeshare resales for sure...but would it kill a seller of a free/bargain timeshare to show some monetary appreciation to the almost-buyer of their timeshare when ROFR fails?

Hard to believe I am the only one who has ever had this thought...but I was wrong once before.

Would appreciate a civil discussion even if you do think IATA.

This strategy occurred to me because many low cost/bargain timeshares sit unsold due to buyers expecting ROFR to fail.

Offering an ROFR fail incentive could increase the success of resales and of course, ROFR either way is a win-win for the seller, not so much the buyer.

From the buyer's perspective, it's a big hassle/risk of providing personal information prior to the ROFR decision.

Sellers could offer like $100 to the prospective buyer if ROFR fails to enhance the likelihood that some buyer would consider that a fair trade for their participation.

Last edited:

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Let me understand this.

You came to an agreement with a seller to take their timeshare (for, lets say $1). It was taken in ROFR. And you want the seller to pay you? Do I have that right?

I have to admit, that thought would not even occur to me. And, even having it suggested, the mind boggles.
Excellent, so one vote for IATA!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Because many low cost/bargain timeshares sit unsold due to buyers expecting ROFR to fail. Offering an ROFR fail incentive could increase the success of resales.

From the buyer's perspective, it's a big hassle/risk of providing personal information prior to the ROFR decision.

Sellers could offer like $100 to the prospective buyer if ROFR fails to enhance the likelihood that some buyer would consider that a fair trade.

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is an interesting concept. At first glance I think it would work better for sales that have a higher value attached to them. If the resort exercises a ROFR on a contract worth a few thousand dollars there would be some money to spread around.

daverunfast

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's going to fail ROFR, why not just do the transaction with association? We find another buyer at all?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I think this is an interesting concept. At first glance I think it would work better for sales that have a higher value attached to them. If the resort exercises a ROFR on a contract worth a few thousand dollars there would be some money to spread around.
Excellent! One vote for IANTA ha!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the owner of an unwanted free week could should first check with their Resort prior to offering the week to the public. Doing so would allow the Resort to have the week outright and the owner would not need to take time to find a taker.

Under this scenario there would be no need for the ROFR paperwork since the Resort had already given up their chance to take the week.

I would think that the OP would want to check with the owner of the week(s) in question to see if the Resort had any interest in that no charge week. This way no one spins their wheels needlessly.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept but please have in mind that those who are getting rid of their timeshares for $1 paid tens of thousands of dollars to buy them and in many cases they are forced to sell due to financial difficulties or adverse life events now. You may really add insult to injury. It is a free market though and whatever works for you and the seller. The true beneficiary of the transaction is the developer that "should" be the one paying the $100 (in an ideal world).

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the seller offers that as an incentive, that's one thing. But expecting compensation if they hadn't proposed it? I don't think so. It's not the seller's fault if it doesn't pass ROFR so asking for it when it wasn't offered is kinda a-0-ish.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the owner of an unwanted free week could should first check with their Resort prior to offering the week to the public. Doing so would allow the Resort to have the week outright and the owner would not need to take time to find a taker.

Under this scenario there would be no need for the ROFR paperwork since the Resort had already given up their chance to take the week.

I would think that the OP would want to check with the owner of the week(s) in question to see if the Resort had any interest in that no charge week. This way no one spins their wheels needlessly.

I know it doesn't make sense, but has it ever happened where the resort declined to take a deedback but then took the unit on ROFR during a giveaway?

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't make sense, but has it ever happened where the resort declined to take a deedback but then took the unit on ROFR during a giveaway?

I also wonder what the cost differences may be if a resort takes a deed back vs claiming an ROFR

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
If the seller offers that as an incentive, that's one thing. But expecting compensation if they hadn't proposed it? I don't think so. It's not the seller's fault if it doesn't pass ROFR so asking for it when it wasn't offered is kinda a-0-ish.
Thanks for your feedback...I never proposed to expect/ask for compensation if not agreed upon up front.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback...I never proposed to expect/ask for compensation if not agreed upon up front.
So... you're trying to monetize other people trying to giver their timeshares to you for free? Either you give me your timeshare for free so I can profit off of it or else give me $100 free profit if I don't get it for free? That's mafia... Like I said, if someone offers that as an incentive, that's fine. People offer to pay MFs, give gift cards, to try to offload their ownership and that's fine, even smart. But the other way kinda feels like a shakedown.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch

So... you're trying to monetize other people trying to giver their timeshares to you for free? Either you give me your timeshare for free so I can profit off of it or else give me $100 free profit if I don't get it for free? That's mafia... Like I said, if someone offers that as an incentive, that's fine. People offer to pay MFs, give gift cards, to try to offload their ownership and that's fine, even smart. But the other way kinda feels like a shakedown.
@sponger76 not sure where you are misreading my initial question...but you are.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
NTA.

If someone is stuck paying the MF on a timeshare they don’t want because it’s not a high demand resort, but they know the developer would take it back at a certain price via ROFR, it makes sense to have someone take the risk of the deal going through to encourage the developer to take it back and off the owners hands.

This is, of course, if the developer refused to take it back initially

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
@sponger76 not sure where you are misreading my initial question...but you are.
Well, my initial thought was a situation where someone tried to give their ts to you for free, it failed ROFR, and you wanted $100 as compensation. Based on your response to my initial response, I misunderstood. So that leads me to believe that if someone is offering a giveaway, you want to ask them to give you $100 if it fails ROFR. If they won't agree to those terms, you won't participate in the process. What am I missing?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is definitely value to a seller to have someone be willing to take their place "on the hook" for a TS that they no longer want to continue paying for, forever. Obviously there is a value to the prospective buyer as well, as he/she needs to be willing to assume the liability that the seller no longer wants. If you want to be compensated, you are basically acting like a TS exit company, only better, since there is a "guarantee" the seller is getting out of the TS. So if that is the case, negotiate that up-front. "I will take that TS off your hands for $100 + $100 upon closing. It would be a good deal for some folks, and would probably make TS companies less likely to exercise ROFR.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I can see the compensation being paid, but it would need to be discussed up front. Expecting it after the fact seems weird. I actually think any time ROFR happens on a legitimate resale purchase, especially if the seller is anxious enough to let their timeshare sell for $1, the losing buyer should get some sort of consolation prize compensation for their inconvenience. Maybe that seems right because it's happened to me.

Same thing when a timeshare purchase disappears mid-transaction. I had an experience about fifteen years ago, where I agreed to purchase a week at Coronado Beach Resort in San Diego from a well-known California resale broker. We went through all the purchase details and everything, they had my money and purchase paperwork, and everything was marching along fine - and then communication absolutely stopped cold. Weeks later I got my money returned, and an email with one sentence: "The timeshare is no longer available." Say what?? Not a word of explanation, no apology, nothing. Left me pretty sour about the whole situation.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there are a few situations where this could make sense, eg developers where there is a fee to deedback but they still exercise ROFR.

Obviously would need to be negotiated in advance.

And as a practical matter, I think many of your potential "sellers" will think YTA for asking, so I'd expect some pushback when you bring that up...

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. It didn't make sense to me either, but it happened.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
If it's going to fail ROFR, why not just do the transaction with association? We find another buyer at all?

The developer has a number at which he or she thinks the week will turn a decent profit. Anything sold for less than that number will be snatched up -- so they can keep selling the same resort over and over. At or above that number, it's not worth it to pay out the "gifts," the commissions and the OPC per-tour costs.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What kind of information are you really providing and who are you providing it to? For a contract, all that is really needed is your name, address and maybe phone number. The closing company should be the one gathering any other information needed for ROFR. Not sure what else they need other than what is on the contract, much of which is available in the public domain anyway.

Given the volume of transactions you seem to do, as noted from you seemingly being first to post on many bargain deal giveaways, you are bound to run into some here and there that fail ROFR. It is just part of the game.