• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

airline websites raising prices at every click

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just touched on this topic on another post, but what is going on with every website I try raising prices by several hundred dollars every time you click through and are just about ready to purchase? Is this for real, or are they doing bait and switch here?? I'm talking about Travelocity, Expedia and Orbitz - often with multi-carriers.

danb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Airline Prices

Sometimes if you delete your cookies then go back you will look like a first timer. It might work. I have been finding better deals at the airline sites like aa.com

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I just got burned by United. I booked a government rate for just over $400. A week or so later when the travel agency got ready to actually buy the ticket, it had gone up to $1300. I've always seen a disclaimer on these fares that they reserve the right to raise them, but I've never had it happen before.

I had to get a much less convenient flight on another airline, getting me to my destination about eight hours after I really needed to be there.

I agree with your other post that the airline part of travel planning is painful, unlike some of the other parts where it's fun to look for a bargain.

Sheila

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just experienced the same thing -- it was ridiculous. It made me quit looking at these companies and I went right to the airline websites. I had a fare at travelocity that went from $500 to about $1200!!

RonaldCol

Reaction score
American Airlines Little Trick ...

I noticed this several months ago and it's been confirmed by further observations.

American Airlines charges a $50 fee to allow you to make changes to your reservation. If you can find your same flight at a cheaper, reduced price, you can ask for the difference as a credit, less the change fee.

So, to make it worthwhile, the price drop of your reservations has to be more than $50 to ask for a difference credit.

Because of the change fee, I've noticed American Airlines has been pricing their advanced ticket sales about $50 higher than other competing airlines for the same flying period. Somewhere before the departure dates they will then drop the price to market pricing. Since the market pricing is about $50 cheaper, you are entitled to ask for the difference, but the change fee of $50 makes it a wash. This then permits American Airlines to sell tickets $50 higher than other competitors.

I caught on to the trick and delay my purchase of tickets from American Airlines as long as possible. If I can't get the tickets in time, I go elsewhere.

The other airlines haven't caught on to this clever selling strategy yet.

gidat1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Little Diffrent..

My Exp. with similar situation has been little different. Once I start the search through all the travel sites. Somehow I feel that with each click or search prices keeps going up. As if one local business knows that you are looking for an item. Somehow all the local suppliers knows that you are looking for that part and they will keep the price higher or same. I think I have experienced this when I was shopping for a used auto parts.

I have Sidesteps intalled in my system. I feel SideStep tries to match what your current prices are showing on the right. If they are low than Sidestep will be lower and vice versa. I wonder why they can't give a lower price to begin with.

May be DaveM can shade some light on to this.

Phil