• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airbnb scams article

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Really interesting article. There will always be people who just have to take advantage of others. Good for the author who was even more tenacious than the "hosts". It is on AirBnb to protect their customers from the shortcomings of their platform. How can they indicate that a host is verified, when they have done nothing of the sort?

Two things popped out at me. First, one of the people who was scammed seemed to think that he couldn't travel unless he stayed in an AirBnb. “If I had another choice, I would not use Airbnb again,” he told me. “I was very put off by getting scammed. But at this point, I feel like if I want to travel, there’s not really much else I can do.” With just the littlest bit of effort, other accommodations can be found pretty much anywhere.

Second, the last line was quite satisfying. The morning after this article was published, the FBI contacted VICE about the claims made above.

I have told this story before of the house in my neighborhood that is listed as an AirBnb. Inside it looks like the typical listing - spare, functional furniture. There are no pics of the outside however, and I always wonder how the visitors feel when they show up to the one house in our neighborhood with a dirt yard, that occasionally has weeds as an accessory. According to the reviews, the back yard is even worse. That said, I can't believe how nice the reviewers are to the hosts, complimenting them on the house. I especially lol when they mention how nice our neighborhood is. Yes, our neighborhood is great with the exception of the AirBnb house! I wish that I could leave a review since all of us have to deal with the visitors on a daily basis.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this type of problem is system wide and the market for this service is without a doubt, buyer beware. A simple search will reveal tens of thousands complaints against not only Airbnb but, Homeaway/VRBO, Trip Advisor, Booking.com, etc. There are very few fail safe methods of renting any vacation property.

I would like to know about the reported contact by the FBI. Was it determined by the FBI that a crime did occur? If so, did the agency agree to investigate and/or pursue the claims made?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an Airbnb, near us. Lists 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms. Large yard, that is overgrown all summer with weeds 12+'' in the brown grass. We do not see anyone coming in long enough to clean/change sheets between parties, nor do you see bedding/towels etc being taken out/in:eek:. I know the HOA is trying to do something, gal was taking pictures of all the cars/action one day not too long ago. I'm sure the renters wondered why they were being photographed.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Until cities make it illegal to do short-term rentals of a house or other property, this will continue.

The people who come into these houses might be criminals or child abusers. How can you protect your family from a house in your neighborhood that constantly invites strangers for a price.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just heard on the evening news that this Airbnb host advertised the home as a party house!!!
I have a friend who lives in a neighborhood with an Airbnb that is advertised as "great for bachelor/bachelorette parties". Regular police visits, barfing in the street but neither the owner or the city will do a thing about it. One of the neighbors is a 90+ woman who has lived in her house for nearly 50 years and now she lives next door to a frat house. Unconscionable.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree that houses in residential areas via Airbnb can be a very bad thing. I personally would likely never rent from them (not so trusting). However, i am sure some of their rentals in places like timeshares serve a purpose. For me, if hotels have to pay a hotel tax and the like, it should apply to Airbnb renters as well. Perhaps over-simplifying, but speaking of houses in this case. And definitely similar rules should apply.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm an older (barely) millenial and A LOT of my friends always check airbnb before booking other options....even for short stays.

For many people I know, they just assume that hotels will be much more expensive.

For example, I have a good friend who stayed for four nights in Chicago and was glad that he got a rate of $130 per night (airbnb'ers always brag about the rate, but almost never include the fees).

On a typical stay, a user will pay around $75 to book the place, and $125 for a cleaning fee. That person is looking at:

$130 x 4 - Daily Rate.
$75 - Booking Fee
$125 - Cleaning fee

For a total of:
$720 + any taxes and fees if the place is properly licensed.

For $180 ($720 / 4) a night there are a multitude of good hotel options at that price point. Many people romanticize that because they are staying in a place where people live, they are getting a more "authentic" experience.

For me it boils down to value, and the value I get from hotels / timeshares almost always wins out over airbnb. I have looked on many, many occasions and have never seen enough of a value proposition to pull the trigger.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm an older (barely) millenial and A LOT of my friends always check airbnb before booking other options....even for short stays.

For many people I know, they just assume that hotels will be much more expensive.

For example, I have a good friend who stayed for four nights in Chicago and was glad that he got a rate of $130 per night (airbnb'ers always brag about the rate, but almost never include the fees).

On a typical stay, a user will pay around $75 to book the place, and $125 for a cleaning fee. That person is looking at:

$130 x 4 - Daily Rate.
$75 - Booking Fee
$125 - Cleaning fee

For a total of:
$720 + any taxes and fees if the place is properly licensed.

For $180 ($720 / 4) a night there are a multitude of good hotel options at that price point. Many people romanticize that because they are staying in a place where people live, they are getting a more "authentic" experience.

For me it boils down to value, and the value I get from hotels / timeshares almost always wins out over airbnb. I have looked on many, many occasions and have never seen enough of a value proposition to pull the trigger.

I,m sure you've heard the old saying that when you assume, you make an ... out of you and me. So please, tell your friends don't ever assume.

With any rental site, be it Airbnb, Homeaway/VRBO, Booking.com, etc., there may be additional fees that figure into the final rate. The onus is on the individual to make himself or herself aware of those fees prior to booking, not after. All the rentals I've seen on these various sites clearly list these fees prior to booking.

In most jurisdictions, short term rentals don't need to be licensed. Right or wrong, needed or not, that's just how the market is.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I,m sure you've heard the old saying that when you assume, you make an ... out of you and me. So please, tell your friends don't ever assume.

With any rental site, be it Airbnb, Homeaway/VRBO, Booking.com, etc., there may be additional fees that figure into the final rate. The onus is on the individual to make himself or herself aware of those fees prior to booking, not after. All the rentals I've seen on these various sites clearly list these fees prior to booking.

In most jurisdictions, short term rentals don't need to be licensed. Right or wrong, needed or not, that's just how the market is.
I think what was being said is that people brag about the 'nightly rate" while conveniently forgetting to include the added fees.

And I think that cities are quickly catching up on licensing the STR, just to capture the tax revenue. At least they are in Ca and Hawaii, the areas with which I am familiar.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what was being said is that people brag about the 'nightly rate" while conveniently forgetting to include the added fees.

A practice that major hotel chains partake in.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like anything, Airbnb has it's good & bad hosts. If you stick with a super host, I think it's highly unlikely you will be scammed or have a bad experience.

I went to London last month & stayed at an Airbnb property which was AMAZING. It was owned by a professional real estate company (Sonder) that specifically develops properties to lease on Airbnb. Because this is "what they do", the place was furnished perfectly, it was easy to gain entry and communicate with the staff, the location was perfect.

https://www.sonder.com

I would absolutely rent from a "professional" Airbnb-er again.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I think that cities are quickly catching up on licensing the STR, just to capture the tax revenue. At least they are in Ca and Hawaii, the areas with which I am familiar.

It might also be a case of hotels that are in competition with AirBNB are complaining that they have to charge taxes while their competitors don't.

It's kind of like how Hawaii (IIRC) started charging a Transitory Occupational tax on timeshare stays because it was also charging it on hotel stays and the hotel industry was complaining that TSs are transitory occupational just like hotels are (or something like that).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We took a bike tour in Paris and visited a neighborhood in the Marais district. Our guide was mentioning that this specific neighborhood was historically a Jewish neighborhood, but that almost all of the long time residents had left and the apartments were almost all STR. Sure enough, there were just a few local storefronts, next to chain stores, and if what she was saying was true, just tourists staying in the apartments located above. This will definitely change the character of cities around the world and what people want most, the authenticity of a place, will soon become homogenized.