• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

airbnb rental for a week owned

Phillie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
With the popularity of airbnb growing around the world has anyone used or considered using airbnb to rent their owned week? I am not talking about renting a II week which is not allowed per the terms and conditions or using points and then renting that through airbnb, this would only apply to weeks owners. Does anyone see any issues? I would think it is the same as listing your week on craigs list or TUG for that matter, yet you would get far better global exposure. What do tuggers think?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
when I was looking for a vegas rental I browsed airbnb and vrbo....and was suprised to see a few timeshares listed there.

I believe you lose a % of the rental to the site though, as I thought that was their business model.

Phillie

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes a small percentage

Yes they do charge a small percentage for their "service" but if give more exposure could that be worth it?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
they have a up-charge to the one renting the unit also, double dipping.
I tried that and it was not easy to set up, talk to anyone, wasn't happy with it at all.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think the fees are too high for a one week timeshare rental.

In addition to TUG and Craigslist, I like Redweek.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have all of my weeks listed on Airbnb and have rented one thus far. There is no fee to list your rentals on Airbnb and they charge a 3% fee to the landlord (5% if you have 30 or 60 day super strict terms) and about a 6% fee to the renter. I think the fees are very reasonable. You get paid on the day after check-in unless you have super strict terms in which case you get paid the day after the time that the money becomes non refundable (59 days before check-in for SS60 and 29 days before check-in for SS30). You have to be approved for the super strict terms.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
My problem with Airbnb is the having to wait until after check-in to get paid. I get 50% at booking and the balance 90 days in advance of occupancy. I don't want any issues if the renter doesn't like his view or anything else after he checks in.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a decent inquiry for one of the TS weeks over this upcoming holiday period ... except they rented an Airbnb unit in a private condo for less money in South Florida near the beach.

I wished them well ... eight blocks off the beach or in a 1960s old lady's condo might be TOO MUCH atmosphere verses a Wyndham TS condo.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am using Airbnb for the first time this year. I am pleased with the fees-- very reasonable. And, the exposure is phenomenal. I've had three inquiries and two people who are renting.
The down side--- Renters aren't looking for a full week; they want 2-3 nights (especially for a Vegas rental.)
Also, Airbnb is required to report to the IRS. (My timeshare income is simply hobby money.)
And finally, their cancellation policy is a time bomb for the timeshare owner. It's your biggest risk... they allow renters to cancel 1 day before arrival for a full refund. You can stipulate a 50% forfeiture for cancellation one week out, but even a week is not good enough for us.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... their cancellation policy is a time bomb for the timeshare owner. It's your biggest risk... they allow renters to cancel 1 day before arrival for a full refund. You can stipulate a 50% forfeiture for cancellation one week out, but even a week is not good enough for us.
I see that as a big problem, too. They do sometimes offer landlords the possibility of a "super strict" cancellation policy, but only for festival weekends and other very limited times/places.

Also, communicating with the renter is much harder than with TUG, Craigslist, or Redweek. (Communicating with a renter is hard with eBay, to.)

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see that as a big problem, too. They do sometimes offer landlords the possibility of a "super strict" cancellation policy, but only for festival weekends and other very limited times/places.

Also, communicating with the renter is much harder than with TUG, Craigslist, or Redweek. (Communicating with a renter is hard with eBay, to.)

You have to be approved for the super strict 30 or 60 day terms but I didn't have any problem getting approved. The fee to the landlord goes up from 3% to 5% for super strict terms but you get paid 100% of the money when the rental becomes non refundable. So, if you have super strict 60 days terms, you get paid 59 days before check-in. This is basically the terms I've always done for my rentals.