• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AirBNB in Hawaii? Is it still possible?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm a newbie with AirBNB, and looking for instruction. I know this is not technically timeshare-related, but I know some people rent their timeshare ownerships on AirBNB. So maybe it kind of relates. I've never stayed in an AirBNB unit. I'm interested in some instructions from those who have successfully used AirBNB before. I've also heard Hawaii has placed restrictions on short-term rentals, so AirBNB is under some amount of pressure - true? Is it still legal to use them?

I'm trying to find a reasonable way to accommodate three adults in a multiple-room location in Waikiki next Summer. I don't want two beds in one room, so a basic hotel room is out. Having two bedrooms, or a separate bedroom and sleeper sofa in a living room would work. Price is a consideration, all-in. Parking on-site at a reasonable price, or for free, would be important. We're looking in the Waikiki area, close to the water, if possible.

Now, with all of that said: How do I find what I'm after? When I open the AirBNB website, it's showing me several hundred listings for the timeframe I'm looking at, but a lot of information is not provided. Is there some way to filter it to know what's what?

This is not a solicitation for someone to rent to me. I'm trying to learn whether AirBNB might work for me. Help?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about AirBnB, but how long a stay are you looking at? I keep getting Hilton's 6 days, 5 nights offer for $699+$125.54 (tax) at Waikiki. It does not tell me the size but I would assume that it is a studio or a 1BR. I figure out 2 adults could buy a package each, and then book to stay at the same time. You can also extend the stay by using Hilton Honor points. ;)

The offer also includes a 100K Hilton Honor points back to your account.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've read on another Hawaii forum that if you are going to use an Airbnb to make sure it is legal and licensed. Supposedly that information should be in their ad information, or at least easy to find.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
hmmm...alll the filters are there in the upper right corner. I used to look in Sedona, and stayed in a woman's home in Cottonwood once. It was quirky but I adored it! I'm actually more of a fan of this original intention - renting out some extra space versus whole units.

I was looking at places to stay in Denver awhile back and we went with one my son picked out. I think he was more familiar with the area since he had been there before. It was perfect! It was a private basement suite and our host was delightful.

Son1, his wife and their friends and family have stayed in a bunch in various locations. My impression is that the younger generation is more willing to spend a great deal of time online reading and searching. Good luck to you!

By the way, what is it that's not there? I've always found the information quite comprehensive.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I've read on another Hawaii forum that if you are going to use an Airbnb to make sure it is legal and licensed. Supposedly that information should be in their ad information, or at least easy to find.
I've heard repeatedly that's a big problem in San Diego, too! You book the place and then the host tells you, if anyone asks, tell them you are my cousin.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
So AirBNB is under some amount of pressure - true? Is it still legal to use them?

I'm trying to find a reasonable way to accommodate three adults in a multiple-room location in Waikiki next Summer.

Now, with all of that said: How do I find what I'm after? When I open the AirBNB website, it's showing me several hundred listings for the timeframe I'm looking at, but a lot of information is not provided. Is there some way to filter it to know what's what?

1) Be sure to check out VRBO as well.

2) Yes, loads of "county crackdown on 'illegal' hotels in Hawaii." I have a cynical, political opinion on WHY the counties are cracking down. Since I'm planning on opening several AirBnBs here at the farm, I keep a weather eye on what the county is doing.

3) A lot of AirBnB hosts are getting out because ratings and refund extortion has become so rife. "Guest said there was a hair on the toilet seat and wants a full refund! I photographed both bathrooms when I left. There was nothing!" And then AirBnB says, "Tough [excrement] and refunds anyway."

4) I disagree with "make sure it's legal." My wife and I are quiet. We're not disturbing the neighbors. And the neighbors are probably busybody HOA types, anyway. I've been asked to tell people that I'm the host's friend from the US. No problems. Can do.

I did a search, and clicked the filters for 2+ bdrm and 3+ beds and found 250 listings for a two week patch of June, 2023. But prices were about the same as hotel rooms, and in some cases much higher.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've heard repeatedly that's a big problem in San Diego, too! You book the place and then the host tells you, if anyone asks, tell them you are my cousin.
A lot of cities are cracking down. San Francisco and New York are ones I've heard of recently.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@ScoopKona you disagree with make sure it's legal? Why? This is what I'm hearing from folks who live on Maui and also those in New York City and San Francisco.

I've gotten a bit turned off by vrbo. Their use of additional fees is ridiculous. I needed to rent a week on Maui for next March. By going with a local rental agency instead of vrbo I saved about $1600 for the week.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, All. I just looked again, and the Filters Snazzylass mentions do seem to parse it down some. Not sure why I didn't see that before. I need to do a bit more research, obviously. I'm looking for about a week there.

Will also explore VRBO. That may be a better option? I've never used them either. Are they any more legal than AirBNB units? I don't want to run the risk of having something not be available, after committing the time, or investing money in things.

I can rent a certain timeshare unit from the HOA in Waikiki for about $250 a night (allegedly.) I'm looking for something a bit less commercial, that might be a more comfortable situation. As a long time resident and visitor to Oahu, I don't need glitz and entertainment - I know how to find what I'm looking for. This is about accommodations.

Dave

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@DaveNW as I mentioned in an earlier post I've been somewhat turned off my vtbo lately (and yes they are legit) due to all of the fees they charge. I have used them a couple of times, but for our week on Maui next year I ended up going with a local rental agency that was recommended to me. They handle rentals for owners. I saved about $1600 by using this agency vs vrbo.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
4) I disagree with "make sure it's legal." My wife and I are quiet. We're not disturbing the neighbors. And the neighbors are probably busybody HOA types, anyway. I've been asked to tell people that I'm the host's friend from the US. No problems. Can do.

Really? You wouldn't get a queasy feeling learning that your host is not on the up and up? On the other hand, if you selected a below market-rate listing, you now know way you are getting deal.

I doubt the friends who shared their experience with me were noisy either.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
A lot of cities are cracking down. San Francisco and New York are ones I've heard of recently.
Agreed. Sedona would love to do something about the problem. There's a severe housing shortage for workers. I think the answer is to charge higher property taxes.
Scottsdale has a special police unit for S/T rentals.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Earlier this year, my kids rented a couple of houses in the Phx metro area, and I got to hang out with them. My D-I-L travels frequently for sports.
The first house was a vacation home, and no amenities and lots of signs saying "you can use our stuff" but place replace it.

The second was a full-time operation. Investors had bought the home to rent and they did a beautiful job of rehabbing it. Lots of nice treats and fun extras. It was a newer listing without many reviews. We loved it! It had a great vibe. We loved hanging out at the house and relaxing.

My D-I-L explained that this is quite common - people renting out their personal home for extra income (they can be inexperienced and chintzy) versus trying to create a thriving business. Apparently the second house had its own IG account. To run a successful S/T rental, you need to be more like a restaurant and create an experience.
So, something to look for when searching.

Also, my D-I-L is super picky about following the instructions and leaving the place immaculate. Renters are reviewed on these platforms, too, I believe. Since they rent a lot, they want to maintain their reputation as responsible renters.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Really? You wouldn't get a queasy feeling learning that your host is not on the up and up? On the other hand, if you selected a below market-rate listing, you now know way you are getting deal.

Really.

I have friends who are homeowners ONLY because they converted part of their house into a lock-off and rent it. I'm not going to look down my nose at someone who is bootstrapping their way to financial security.

And this is one area where I wish the county would get out of the way and let people do their thing. The same people who want to quash AirBnBs are ALSO the ones who don't want affordable housing built anywhere near them. I dislike living in a society based upon "I got mine, Jack."

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Also, my D-I-L is super picky about following the instructions and leaving the place immaculate. Renters are reviewed on these platforms, too, I believe. Since they rent a lot, they want to maintain their reputation as responsible renters.

Try the AirBnB hosts page on Facebook. Nothing but horror stories. Guests can create a new account. Hosts can't change their address. So all the power is with the guests. And many guests are behaving badly because they can, and because "defrauding an innkeeper" laws don't apply to AirBnB.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Each county in Hawaii has it's own regulations on short term vacation rentals. The rentals in resort areas are your best bet for a legal rental and they will display their license on the rental site. The main issue for illegal rentals is that they are located in residential neighborhoods which often causes problems with surrounding neighbors.

Since you are interested in Oahu, here is the county information:

These are the legal properties:

and named properties that are operating illegally:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Lynne. It seems like kind of a muddy topic. I may wait for another trip, after things have settled down some.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't used AirBnB, but have used VRBO several times. Some better, some not so much. All interesting. Look CAREFULLY at the reviews. There is (as far as I know) no uniformity in the reality vs the expectations. One thing sure, they AREN'T timeshares. We have had 6 bedroom luxury mansion in Mexico (shared with 3 couples), cute beach cottage in Oregon, great urban townhouse in DC, Ultra modern rehab'd house in Denver.

Dave, I'd say to go for it, but mind the rules and clarify with the owner that your expectations are what they are going to deliver. For Oahu, I think your plan is workable and there are enough options there that you can grab if the poo really hits the fan. And it won't.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I have rented many Airbnb's over the years (including Waikiki before the laws changed) and all of them without exception have worked out well: exactly what they were supposed to be, no hassles, great rentals, easy to rent. But I know things have gotten more complicated and prices have gone up. Lots of fees and some really ridiculous "cleaning fees" which used to look like just what it would cost to clean the place and now seem more like padded fees like "resort fees" and a hidden way to charge more.

Marriott is trying to get a piece of this business and might be worth checking out as I suspect they will be more reliable: Vacation Rental Home | Homes & Villas | Marriott International.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Marriott is trying to get a piece of this business and might be worth checking out as I suspect they will be more reliable:

Yeah, amazing how it's illegal for the mom-and-pop to build an Ohana/Mother-In-Law unit. But if Marriott wants to get in on short-term SFR rentals, that's just hunky dory.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave you have a lot of street credit here maybe someone would be willing to book you a 2 bedroom in exchange for some sweet WM reservations. Likely not week for week but there are some nice locations in WM and you can guarantee them availability at 13 months out in many cases. All you would have to agree on is what you both think is a fair exchange. I have used AIRBNB a fair bit and the only serious problem I had was when I rented out my Banff timeshare one year. I have always had pretty good luck with the places that I rented. Know this though if anything does go wrong AIRBNB will expect the person renting out the unit to take the loss and not them.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave you have a lot of street credit here maybe someone would be willing to book you a 2 bedroom in exchange for some sweet WM reservations. Likely not week for week but there are some nice locations in WM and you can guarantee them availability at 13 months out in many cases. All you would have to agree on is what you both think is a fair exchange. I have used AIRBNB a fair bit and the only serious problem I had was when I rented out my Banff timeshare one year. I have always had pretty good luck with the places that I rented. Know this though if anything does go wrong AIRBNB will expect the person renting out the unit to take the loss and not them.

Interesting idea, thanks! My dates are still more than a year out, so I can't book anything just yet for me to stay in. This research is helping pin down what sort of thing is available. Tuggers are PMing me AirBNB and VRBO ads they're seeing, and it's very educational. If it was just two of us traveling, some of these would be a slam dunk. With a third adult, and trying to have some privacy, things get complicated.

What I'm finding fascinating here is how the images posted in some of these ads don't quite match up the verbiage associated with it. Definitely a "caveat emptor" situation, I think. I'm reminded of a lot of eBay ads for timeshares for sale, where people post images that aren't exactly accurate, to make things appear nicer.

My research continues. Thanks, everyone!

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Hawaii should do away with all short term rentals - less than 6 months except for Hotels and Timeshares. This might bring the price of housing down and open up more housing for the residents.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have been booking short term rentals in the US and Europe since the early 2000's. A lot of the Airbnb inventory will also be on VRBO. From a renter's perspective there will be no difference. Glad that you received help with the filters and that you found them. Now you can play around on the platform. In Hawaii especially, an on island property manager is required (I believe) and even if it isn't required, it is a must have (see below for our unexpected issues when on island). You will probably need to manage your expectations for STR - some are better than others. Unlike timeshares, the product is not consistent. I agree with the suggestion to read the owner's description carefully, read the reviews and try to read between the lines, and analyze every photo.

As a visitor, I strongly prefer timeshares. They are located in areas zoned for transient occupancy. They have wonderful amenities. They (usually) have onsite staff to answer questions and do maintenance. When something goes wrong with a STR it is a lot more hassle for you. As renters, *we* have waited for the cable repair guy to stop over and fix the wifi on Kauai (the owner was very kind about it and gave us a small credit - but that was a hassle for us), and just two weeks ago at a rental in Cold Springs my husband was the guy that cleaned up the full can of trash that a bear got into. We had been there two days, so most of the trash was not ours. That was also quite a hassle. The owner's response was "thanks, that is definitely a problem here". We have shown up to a house that had not been cleaned and were told that we would need to wait 24 hours until they could get cleaners to the house (Big Island). A sympathetic local property manager saved the day on that one and was able to move us into a condo nearby. Those are just a few incidents that I can think of off the top of my head but there were others. Other rentals have, of course, been fine. But there is no calling the front desk to get things taken care of. It is much more like being in your own home.

Lately I have found that airbnb's are no bargain. For example, the Cold Springs rental (the one with the trashy bear) was $1,800 for 3 nights in a two bedroom cabin! The place was positively vintage. I am sure that the microwave was from the 1980's - no joke. It definitely looked much better in the photos than IRL. Reviews were *stellar*. I am pretty sure that my daughter who was the renter will be leaving an honest review. Quality is all over the place with Airbnb rentals, as is cost. I was looking for something on the BI for June. Here is an excerpt from my thread about travel costs: "For our Hawaii trip I needed to add a few days to attend my uncle's memorial service. I took a peek on Airbnb since everyone is staying nearby his home near Waimea. Most things are about $250/nt+ and the places are ok, not great (think worn furniture or weird set ups like shared bathrooms that require a walk outside). Half of those places don't have kitchens, they are just studios. Heading down the hill to Waikoloa isn't any better." I wound up using HGVC points for a one bed unit there and my underlying cost was about $500 for three nights. https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/travel-cost-sticker-shock.333925/

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would think a TUG member could rent you a Hilton week. I don't own Hilton, but a bunch of people on TUG do...