• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Air Canada changes their refund policy

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Air Canada finally gave in after so people complained and signed a petition about the restrictive refund policy when flights were cancelled due to COVID19 restrictions. The new policy has removed the travel by date on the vouchers and people also have the option to transfer the voucher to somebody else or sell it.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
But they still are not giving cash refunds, so really there isn't a change in policy.

Over on FlyerTalk there is chatter that WestJet is offering cash refunds for transborder flights (i.e., to the US). Apparently all of the DOT compliants are starting to work. I will test this out this weekend for our June 26th flights to OGG which were cancelled by WestJet.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
But they still are not giving cash refunds, so really there isn't a change in policy.

Over on FlyerTalk there is chatter that WestJet is offering cash refunds for transborder flights (i.e., to the US). Apparently all of the DOT compliants are starting to work. I will test this out this weekend for our June 26th flights to OGG which were cancelled by WestJet.

Actually, it is a change in policy, just not a change in policy to provide refunds. Perhaps a fine point, but changing the voucher policy to have no expiry date and making the voucher transferable and salable is certainly also a change in policy. Having a choice of the voucher or a refund would certainly be a better change, but with virtually no cash flow currently I certainly understand the airline's preference for a voucher.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, it is a change in policy, just not a change in policy to provide refunds. Perhaps a fine point, but changing the voucher policy to have no expiry date and making the voucher transferable and salable is certainly also a change in policy. Having a choice of the voucher or a refund would certainly be a better change, but with virtually no cash flow currently I certainly understand the airline's preference for a voucher.

Cash refunds should be provided. People are not in the business of brokering vouchers? Who would buy a voucher for face value? Could be a business buying up vouchers cheap and reselling them or pressure Air Canada for cash.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is that Air Canada is very expensive on many routes and that makes the vouchers much less valuable than cash.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in March, We were able to cancel two mid-June flights to Vietnam, booked through Aeroplan on EVA Air, a Star Alliance partner. This was even before EVA had officially cancelled our flight. We got back all our Aeroplan miles, plus the taxes.
That left us with a third ticket that we booked directly with EVA, paying by credit card.
About two weeks ago, Eva contacted us, saying our flight was cancelled, and I was able to get a full refund on the third ticket. I was so happy about that one, as it was almost $1400!

I have no idea when we will be able to travel back to Vietnam, but certainly not any time soon. It has been almost a year since we have seen our son, daughter-in-law and beautiful grandchildren.

Dori

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

I don't disagree with you. My point was that the title of the thread indicated there was a change in refund policy, I wanted to keep people from getting too excited.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
The problem is that Air Canada is very expensive on many routes and that makes the vouchers much less valuable than cash.

That has not generally been my experience, but I guess it depends upon the particular route. Or are you talking about a vacation package, as opposed to just a flight?

In any case, I am not sure I follow your logic. If Air Canada is more expensive on the route, then why would you book with them in the first place? In which case, you would have no need of a refund or a voucher from AC. Or is your only consideration when booking a flight the lowest cost? If the latter, and you bought on sale at AC, but wouldn't use them again, then I guess it makes some sense. Or did I miss something?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That has not generally been my experience, but I guess it depends upon the particular route. Or are you talking about a vacation package, as opposed to just a flight?

In any case, I am not sure I follow your logic. If Air Canada is more expensive on the route, then why would you book with them in the first place? In which case, you would have no need of a refund or a voucher from AC. Or is your only consideration when booking a flight the lowest cost? If the latter, and you bought on sale at AC, but wouldn't use them again, then I guess it makes some sense. Or did I miss something?

Sometimes cheaper a lot of times more. Layover options are usually cheaper on other carriers. Thats why cash in hand is king.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although cash is always king I will give Air Canada credit for this (and I'm a westjet girl) at least you will be much more likely to use it. I got 2 vouchers from Flair Airways for $68 each. They can only be flown by the person it was originally ticketed to and has about a one year fly by expiration date. At least now with Air Canada one person could use up the value of both vouchers by going further or at a more expensive time. It is way more difficult to use up vouchers in multiple names with expiration dates attached.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cash refunds should be provided. People are not in the business of brokering vouchers? Who would buy a voucher for face value? Could be a business buying up vouchers cheap and reselling them or pressure Air Canada for cash.

First, I agree with you. AC should do full cash refunds; anything else is chickens**t.

But to address your comment. Back in the good ol' days when Southwest allowed their vouchers for cancelled flights to be used by anyone, any flight, any time; there was an active market in Southwest vouchers. Mostly on eBay. It was very easy to get 90 cents on the dollar for vouchers; perhaps 95 cents if you held out long enough.