• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ai 2/21

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Man.

When you see how GOOD someone really is, you can see how BAD someone else really is.

Contenders:

Lisa Tucker: Outstanding. What a voice, what an awesome smile. My favorite performance of the night. I love that song.

Mandisa: Powerful, what a performer. The wardrobe department was her best friend last night, she looked great. Not an AI type singer though. I don't see her winning, but I do see her using this as a springboard to success in a different style, maybe hard soul or gospel, or modern blues. She'll have a career.

Paris Bennett: Another WOW. Maybe she needs some seasoning; I'm not sure I'd buy the voice if I didn't see the performance as well. Will the voice alone sell the song?

Katherine "Nanny" McPhee: I wasn't as sold on her performance as the judges were, but she's the only tall fair-skinned singer who had any projection to her voice. And the performance, the stage movement, was really strong.

On The Bubble:

Kelly Pickler: Not that good a voice, but she sold the song. Ultimately, wanting it really really bad can't overcome talent that just isn't quite good enough. Shania Twain she ain't.

Kinnik Sky: I like her. She's elegant and cultured. She's not good enough to win, but she's good enough to be there. Simon hit it right, at age 28 she should be better than this if she wants to win AI.

Cannon fodder:

Brenna Gethers: Yech. Put the claws away and go back to being the best bar band singer wherever it is you came from.

Ayla Brown: The Stepford teen.

Stevie Scott: Leading female candidate for "vote for the worst".

Becky O'Donohue: She sings like a model (she is one).

Heather Cox, Melissa McGhee: Yawn. I had to look them up to remember who they were.

Tom

Last edited:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
RichM said:
I mostly agree although I'd swap Ayla Brown for Kinnik Sky[/URL]

Yeah, I could see that. I'm a sucker for that jazzy strapless evening gown look on an elegant lady, that probably influenced my ranking.

Tom

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow...you're good at remembering the names. Only a few names stand out for me.

I love love love Paris. I do see what you're saying about the performance vs. just the voice...but the performance blew me away. I love how she sang to her fellow contestants, and basically how she sang to each and every section of the audience. She is so cute too!!

Sharon

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I felt as though I was watching a different show than the Judges. There were some whose performances they liked that I thought were average at best. The thing that I absolutley hate about Simon is that he tries to "force" certain contestants on the viewing audience that he thinks are marketable. He did that last night with the Pickler girl. She was terrible but he gave her a "pass." She might make good TV and appeal to middle America, but she was horrible last night IMHO. On the other hand, he was much harsher on others who sounded far better than her such as the young lady in the strapless gown who sang "Get Here If You Can."

It's also incredibly unfair that some contestants get no air-time prior to the audidence vote and those that they obviously are trying to promote get outrageous amounts of air-time.

In any event, I like Paris, but think that she has sounded better. Great performance though. I did not get all of the hoopla over the last contestant at all. She sounded just "okay" to me.

My favs are the guys...I'm rooting for the grey-haired guy and the guy with the sideburns.

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Opera girl has got to go. My favorite was Sasha Cohen in the ladies' short program. (Oh, wrong show.)

Gadabout

Reaction score
To us, the really awful people at the beginning are the only ones worth watching for their entertainment value, so we're done watching until the next one.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the balance between good singers and good TV; I think that some better voices were passed over for more marketable contestants, and for contestants that would make better TV, but I don't think anyone who could legitimately win was passed over.

I've found Simon's analysis usually pretty accurate. I really liked Kinnik Sky (strapless), but he's right that at her age she simply isn't good enough (compared to Paris and Lisa, the younger singers). The Pickler girl, I got the feeling that he was trying to make his praise as lukewarm as possible.

I agree that he was trying to force the last singer (Nanny McPhee) on the audience. Good voice, I liked the stage movements, but I really didn't get that interpretation of that song. What I really think is that he felt she could do better and he wanted to ensure she didn't get voted off so quickly. I can forgive that. I'd like to hear her again, then decide.

The Pickler kid, I think Paula was right. She sang the chorus and climax much more strongly than the verse, and at this level you have to sell the whole thing. She'll get another chance, and we'll see.

As far as remembering the names, I remembered the top 3, McPhee because of "Nanny", and Pickler; the rest I had to look up, even the model.

My votes for who gets booted Thursday: Brenna Gethers, Stevie Smith.

Tom

Dani said:
I felt as though I was watching a different show than the Judges. There were some whose performances they liked that I thought were average at best. The thing that I absolutley hate about Simon is that he tries to "force" certain contestants on the viewing audience that he thinks are marketable. He did that last night with the Pickler girl. She was terrible but he gave her a "pass." She might make good TV and appeal to middle America, but she was horrible last night IMHO. On the other hand, he was much harsher on others who sounded far better than her such as the young lady in the strapless gown who sang "Get Here If You Can."

It's also incredibly unfair that some contestants get no air-time prior to the audidence vote and those that they obviously are trying to promote get outrageous amounts of air-time.

In any event, I like Paris, but think that she has sounded better. Great performance though. I did not get all of the hoopla over the last contestant at all. She sounded just "okay" to me.

My favs are the guys...I'm rooting for the grey-haired guy and the guy with the sideburns.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My likes

The two I liked best were Mandisa (but don't think she'll be American Idol) and Lisa. The least were Kellye, Paris, Brenna and Kinnick. Others were in between. None really blew me away. Time will tell.

Nancy

lanalee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dani--I agree with you that that it's very unfair for certain contestants get so much air time, while others get very little (or no air time at all, as was the case with Melissa McGhee).

I enjoyed the show last night. I'm so glad the auditions are over!

I think the worst performances were Stevie Scott, Brenna Gethers, and Heather Cox.

The best performances were Katherine McPhee, Lisa Tucker and Paris.

On a side note, here's an interesting "Where are they now" type of article on previous Idol contestants.
TMZ.com News

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm on the east coast and saw the guys. My only comment - David the crooner, and Bobby (Jackie Gleason) have got to go.

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
My top ones from this week:

For the girls: Lisa, Paris, ( Miss Personality Plus!) Mandisa, Katherine, Ayla - the rest can go, now.

For the guys: Chris (sideburns) Eliot, Taylor (gray hair) and not the best voice but the best smile and overall cuteness: ACE :) and perhaps Sway, would like to see more of him without the falsetto -

Some of the others were absolutely awful and I do wonder how they made it through.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Patri said:
and Bobby (Jackie Gleason)

I also was reminded of Jackie Gleason! So we have Jackie Gleason and Bobby Brady. And I agree with Simon's comparison of Sway to a pimp.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or Zero Mostel....

Rose Pink said:
I also was reminded of Jackie Gleason! So we have Jackie Gleason and Bobby Brady. And I agree with Simon's comparison of Sway to a pimp.

RichM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taylor Hicks = Robert DeNiro, with Jay Leno's chin and Rain Man (Dustin Hoffman)'s mannerisms.

Patrick Hall reminded me of Bob Saget.

Sway could also be that Bond villain that killed people with his black derby hat.

And something about David Radford reminds me a little of the Paul San Marco character from A Chorus Line: The Movie.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
RichM said:
Taylor Hicks = . . . and Rain Man (Dustin Hoffman)'s mannerisms.

You are being too kind. The man looks absolutely spastic. (but I still like him--I just can't watch him).