• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After [June] Hawaii crash, NTSB calls for inspection of helicopters

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish the FAA ad NTSB could / would do better job of inspecting air crafts before something happens.
The first augment will be the shortage of qualified staff in the United States and Canada.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I wish the FAA ad NTSB could / would do better job of inspecting air crafts before something happens.
The first augment will be the shortage of qualified staff in the United States and Canada.

They do.

All certified aircraft have a rigorous FAA certification process before they are allowed to be produced in numbers. (Heck, even non-certified homebuilt aircraft have to be inspected during the build process and before the builder/owner is allowed to fly it.) Then, there are more inspections after production before each aircraft is delivered to its first owner. Once the aircraft is flying there are annual inspections, and for aircraft operated for hire in any commercial use (like tour helicopters), there are additional inspections based on flight hours. Each of these ongoing inspections must be performed by licensed Aircraft & Powerplant mechanics with an FAA Inspector Authorization (A&P/IA). Each pilot is also then required to do a pre-flight visual inspection before each flight.

Despite these frequent and repetitive inspections, sometimes things are missed, especially as aircraft age. Inspectors are human too. No inspection regime is perfect. That is where the process of Manufacturer Service Bulletins (SB) and FAA Airworthiness Directives (AD) come from. When FAA inspectors see a maintenance issue emerge as a pattern, or if accidents are caused by a problem that inspectors think might impact other aircraft of the same type, then they issue a mandatory AD that must be complied with. Usually that means an inspection, but it can even require some sort of preventative maintenance (like corrosion treatment, part replacement, or reinforcement plates). Frequently, aircraft or parts manufacturers will even preemptively issue a recommended manufacturer's Service Bulletin prior to the FAA making it mandatory. In my 35 years of aircraft ownership, I've had to comply with numerous ADs and SBs.

One of the reasons all forms of aviation are so safe today is, thanks to the NTSB and FAA, we learn from every accident and steps are taken to try to prevent future accidents.

Last edited:

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother worked in pre-flight inspections at the Bell Helicopter plant in Canada.
It’s a very, very strict workplace - and every little thing was checked and re-checked - and he usually accompanied the pilot as well for the pre-delivery test flights. He took great pride in his work.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My brother worked in pre-flight inspections at the Bell Helicopter plant in Canada.
It’s a very, very strict workplace - and every little thing was checked and re-checked - and he usually accompanied the pilot as well for the pre-delivery test flights. He took great pride in his work.
That's a good plan to ensure the mechanics and inspectors pay attention to their work: put them on the first flight.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
While you can never rule out the possibility of an accident, I am usually more concerned with the ride to an airport than with the flight itself. Of course there is also the possibility of shoddy operations from an unscrupulous operator, but I do some basic checking before booking any adventure. Most operators don't want to risk an accident any more than their customers. I'm pretty careful with the inspections of my own small plane, but it is not rocket science. A thorough inspection tends to catch most problems.

In the article above, it appears additional inspections would help ameliorate the problem that is described. That is why the NTSB investigates all accidents like the one that occurred. It helps avoid future accidents if recurring issues are identified and addressed. Flying accidents still make national news because they are so infrequent and unique. In reality, driving down the interstate near where I live is significantly more dangerous, with many large 18-wheelers, some with poor inspection requirements, careening down the road, often well above the posted 70 mph speed limit. The truck may not fall out of the sky, but it can take out dozens of cars in an unfortunate accident. Have had one accident like that happen right in fromt of me, on the opposite side of a divided highway.