• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After COVID 19, what changes will endure? [merged]

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
So earlier today, I was thinking about some small things I used to do without thinking twice that might not be a part of my every day routine practices going forward. This thought occurred to me as I was exiting the men's restroom at a gas station of all places...

But the actual inspiration from this thought came to me as a result of opening the restroom door to exit. No toe pull on the door so my only option was to deal with the door handle. Also, this particular restroom only had air dryers so no paper towels handy.

At a minimum, I'll probably ensure I have a napkin or tissue in my pocket to grab door handles from now on.

Anyone else have similar thoughts or ideas?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So earlier today, I was thinking about some small things I used to do without thinking twice that might not be a part of my every day routine practices going forward. This thought occurred to me as I was exiting the men's restroom at a gas station of all places...

But the actual inspiration from this thought came to me as a result of opening the restroom door to exit. No toe pull on the door so my only option was to deal with the door handle. Also, this particular restroom only had air dryers so no paper towels handy.

At a minimum, I'll probably ensure I have a napkin or tissue in my pocket to grab door handles from now on.

Anyone else have similar thoughts or ideas?
I have already been doing that before the crisis. Perhaps this will help with the flu seasons with Good hygiene washing practices continuing.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Here is another one - somewhat related I guess.
When I got back in my car, I looked in the area of my hand brake and saw a fair amount of change. Don't think I want that any more!
This change had already started for me though as I have used Samsung Pay a lot - literally everywhere possible.
I have to believe contact less methods of payment are only going to become more common.
In the meantime, I think cash and coins could be used much less going forward.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think health anxiety and OCD will increase. It will be hard to convince people that these extreme precautions are not realistic in normal times. People will remember this pandemic and all the recommendations to wash hands, stay home, avoid others, etc. I can see these behaviors lingering for many people, especially for those who are susceptible to anxiety and OCD. It will make mental health treatment much harder.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think health anxiety and OCD will increase. It will be hard to convince people that these extreme precautions are not realistic in normal times. People will remember this pandemic and all the recommendations to wash hands, stay home, avoid others, etc. I can see these behaviors lingering for many people, especially for those who are susceptible to anxiety and OCD. It will make mental health treatment much harder.
I do wonder if what you describe will be more common in urban areas. As someone who lives in rural America, I would suspect the behaviours you describe would be shorter lived here...

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I can ever find wipes I will start carrying them in my car.
My supply is usually tissue and napkins but I can see this becoming SOP.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Making sure you have paper goods, sanitizer, alcohol, Lysol and certain cleansers in good supply at home.

On a side note whereas all these items are hard to find, I find it interesting that disposable gloves are easy to get. Just order some to deal with my mail.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's another - I was a bit on the hungry side when I stopped for gas on the way home earlier today but my first thoughts in this area revolved around the staff I could NOT see. Were they healthy? I really have no way to tell from the other side of the counter.

We will definitely be eating out less.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Making sure you have paper goods, sanitizer, alcohol, Lysol and certain cleansers in good supply at home.

On a side note whereas all these items are hard to find, I find it interesting that disposable gloves are easy to get. Just order some to deal with my mail.
Along this line of thinking, I am positive my shopping habits will change. As our supply chains attempt to return toward normal, getting some of the products we regularly purchase will likely take more than one trip. So that I don't waste any additional gas, I can see a lot more grocery stops when we are passing by a store to fill out the cabinet and refrigerator instead of waiting on that weekly (or semi weekly) trip.

Also, more stops likely means fewer purchases per stop. That means I am more likely to use the self checkout lanes in order to decrease the number of people touching the items I purchased.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do wonder if what you describe will be more common in urban areas. As someone who lives in rural America, I would suspect the behaviours you describe would be shorter lived here...

I do not know if mental health statistics differ significantly between urban and rural areas. Urban areas are certainly more stressful so it might be higher in urban areas. For mental health, the environment can certainly bring out the symptoms. So even people who did not have health anxiety or OCD before this pandemic might be impacted now and more likely to develop a disorder. Mental health is determined by many factors and most professionals think it is a combination of genetics and the environment. Someone may be genetically predisposed to a mental health disorder yet never show symptoms until a trauma happens to them or in their environment. Others experience trauma yet develop no symptoms because their genetics or environment (especially being around supportive people or having had a very positive upbringing) are protective factors. I have seen many pregnant woman who have been mentally healthy their entire lives have their first case of anxiety, depression or OCD brought about by the hormonal changes and/or new worries about their babies. I think we are going through a collective trauma right now that will affect mental health. If you don't get sick, then you will be hit by the financial crisis (or both). There will be a lucky few who survive this unscathed.

Brett

Reaction score
more people carrying around purell and keeping a larger supply of TP
shopping habits are changing to more home delivery
And I liked the Whole Foods prepared meal buffet --- that's gone for good

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Brett I agree with your point on the trend toward shopping from home. I am going to see what purchases I can shift toward that but there are still a good number of things we buy requiring a store trip.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
More online university education and remote learning. More parents will question the value of living on campus given the cost of room and board and the potential for virus spread. The universities have been able to switch relatively seamlessly to online because they have already been taping lectures and linking remote campuses. Office hours will now be offered remotely via Zoom.

Many students will miss the on-campus atmosphere and living lessons. Perhaps some will do this for a year or two and then move to remote living at home to keep college costs down.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
And I liked the Whole Foods prepared meal buffet --- that's gone for good

Good point. I will never look at a buffet the same again...all those people touching the spoons...yuck.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More online university education and remote learning. More parents will question the value of living on campus given the cost of room and board and the potential for virus spread. The universities have been able to switch relatively seamlessly to online because they have already been taping lectures and linking remote campuses. Office hours will now be offered remotely via Zoom.

I've been wondering if online learning could bring down the cost of education? Universities could have much bigger classes so the average cost per student might go down. I agree that with online learning, more people might live at home, thus eliminating another huge cost of going to college.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good point. I will never look at a buffet the same again...all those people touching the spoons...yuck.

This week at Safeway, they still had the buffet open and people were serving themselves!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt I will ever look at Vegas buffets the same again. For years my daughter would cry "Yuck" at the buffets simply because of the germ factor. She was right. LoL

Also, we have always tried to keep a decent stock of food in place because that is what our church has taught us to do for years. Over this last year as we've contemplated selling our home, we let that supply dwindle down because we didn't want to have to move it. Well, we got caught with our pants down so-to-speak - that won't happen again. We haven't gone out to the stores and hoarded in this current environment but we have a better supply of food now than we did (pantry was pretty bare). But, when things return to whatever the new norm is I will definitely get our food storage in better shape.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the cruise industry will de decimated for a long time.

Air travel will recover much quicker but business travel will see a decline from previous levels so a slight decline that does not come back.

Restaurants the same way. Most demand comes back quickly but a lot of people will realize that eating at home is ok and saves money.

We will hear a lot of fire and fury over supply chains but nothing will change.

Get your flu shot early next year as the demand will be through the roof.

The economy in general will come back but level off lower than before and we will again see slow but steady rise in gdp.

A lot of the companies we dealt with before will not reopen. Over time new business' will open to fill demand.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the cruise industry will de decimated for a long time.

Air travel will recover much quicker but business travel will see a decline from previous levels so a slight decline that does not come back.

Restaurants the same way. Most demand comes back quickly but a lot of people will realize that eating at home is ok and saves money.

We will hear a lot of fire and fury over supply chains but nothing will change.

Get your flu shot early next year as the demand will be through the roof.

The economy in general will come back but level off lower than before and we will again see slow but steady rise in gdp.

A lot of the companies we dealt with before will not reopen. Over time new business' will open to fill demand.

After this, I would be worried about going on a big cruise ship. Cruises were already susceptible to disease before. Now it is not just about getting sick on a cruise but also the risk of being quarantined too. I agree with some of your other predictions too.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
For many years, we have had wipes in our cars, my purse and our travel bags. We always take Clorox wipes to wipe down condo and hotel rooms. And, for years, we have washed all the dishes, silverware, cookware, etc. we will be using in condos.

For many years, we have traveled with masks just in case we are sick or someone next to us is sick. From now on we will wear a mask on all planes, trains, shuttles, etc.

We always travel with our pillows and we bring extra pillow cases. I am thinking I might bring a set of king or queen sheets next time we travel. Things that seemed like over kill don’t seem so out there anymore. LOL

I have had bronchitis for the last four weeks. I feel fine, but the cough and chest congestion are lingering. I have been at home with books, Netflix and Internet. Something I will be doing from now on, after visiting a doctor’s office, I am going to drop the clothes I was wearing in the washing machine and take a shower and put new clothes on. Also, my husband and I plan to wash our hands immediately when we enter our house from now on. I think I used to do that a lot, but probably not every the time. I have always washed my hands a lot, but now it is a lot more.

And, I don’t think we will eat at a buffet anytime soon.

Stay healthy everyone!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I went to the clubhouse to get our mail and a package. When I got home I forgot to wash my hands and I rubbed my eyes. I don't think we can ever fully protect ourselves unless we are dead already.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went to the clubhouse to get our mail and a package. When I got home I forgot to wash my hands and I rubbed my eyes. I don't think we can ever fully protect ourselves unless we are dead already.
As careful as we are, there are slip ups. Unless you are fully stocked, lock your door, live in a detached house, and don’t leave for a year and a half there will be risk of getting the virus. That is the reality. Right now the rules are to diminish the curve and number of cases.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just remember that this is a numbers game. Any contact gives a risk but it is miniscule. The problems arise when you consider how many contacts 330 million people have and those unlucky ones that win (in this case lose) the big lottery. Don't fret over simple interactions that are on the low end of risk. I would guess that your time in the car was the riskiest part of your trip. I feel this will be bad but no one will have contracted the disease through interaction with mail unless you are the unlucky one that had the infected mailman sneeze all over it right before he delivered or handed it to you.

Another thing to relieve your mind is that there is no evidence of this virus infecting by rubbing your eyes. There is a route into your body there but most pathogens cannot infect in that way. Your mouth is a different story.