• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After 3 Vaping Deaths, CDC Recommends Not Using E-Cigarettes

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't vape and don't smoke, but I suspect that this might be related to some tainted products or poor quality or sanitation in where certain products are manufactured rather than to the actual act of vaping IMO.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Probably more about bacteria. The disposable water bottles we all drink from, mostly on vacation for me, those shouldn't be reused over and over again. You could fill them up once, maybe, but your mouth touching that constantly, that causes bacteria to build up. I believe that is the real reason for these deaths.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Probably more about bacteria. The disposable water bottles we all drink from, mostly on vacation for me, those shouldn't be reused over and over again. You could fill them up once, maybe, but your mouth touching that constantly, that causes bacteria to build up. I believe that is the real reason for these deaths.
Quite likely a cause. People throw a cigarette away once it is done, they reuse the same e-cig every time over and over again. The manufacturers probably have a recommended cleaning regiment, but how many people probably follow that? Both bacteria and fungus likely grows within and combining that with the toxins they are inhaling from the e cigarettes is creating a deadly brew.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's up to 5 now.......just saw on the news one young man recently passed and another young man is on life support too. :( They have some sort of combination with THC? or something).

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the Juul (sp?) full page ads I see in the newspaper every day. The top 25% of the page says something like "This product will kill you" and the bottom 75% tries to sell you on vaping. I have a funny feeling that we haven't heard the last of consequence from vaping...

George

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can vapers smokers add outside stuff to an E cig?
I do not smoke and have never smoke.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the Juul (sp?) full page ads I see in the newspaper every day. The top 25% says something like "This product will kill you" and the bottom 75% tries to sell you on vaping. I have a funny feeling that we haven't heard the last of consequence from vaping...

George

Have you ever read the warning labels on prescription medications? :ponder:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can vapers smokers add outside stuff to an E cig?

You wouldn't be able to add anything to a "disposable" devise. Those are sealed, meant to be used once and thrown away. Other devices have a liquid that you fill the device with and can be used over and over. Therein lies one of the problems. People are adding other substances to this liquid.

Some are adding Vitamin E acetate, which is another problem. This is widely available as a nutritional supplement and is believed to be safe when used as intended. Many are finding that simply because you can take it as a supplement or apply it to the skin, doesn't mean you can convert it to a vapor and inhale it.

New York, as well as other states, are seeing emergency room cases when people show up after vaping tetrahydrocannabinol, otherwise known as THC. Vaping devices use an atomizer coil to heat and produce the vapor and this may be the problem. Of course people can stay with the famous rolled "joint" and risk lung cancer and other diseases like Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, lung cancer, etc.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I smoked tobacco from age 19 to 60. I switched to e-cigarettes at 60. I have had no issues. So 5.5 years ago. First off most News People are using Vaping Pens and e-cigarrettes interchangeably. They are 2 different things. Vaping pens are larger, reused, and with most you load your own liquid. E-cigarrettes come in 2 basic models. The first you use until empty and then throw the whole device away. The second comes in two parts. The battery unit (which you recharge) and the unit with the liquid (which you throw away when empty).

When digging into these stories almost all of them involve Vaping Pens. They also involve people buying products that contain THC. Even with the cases that involve e-cigarrettes the people are buying parts not made by the manufacture off the Internet or off the Street. No one knows what is in these products bought in this manner. People will buy JUUL then buy an adapter (off the street) so they can use non JUUL liquid containing parts, which as mentioned they buy off the Internet or off the street.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I'm torn. I think it is better than cigarettes, but I think that the marketing needs to be SEVERELY restricted. I also think that they should step down the nicotine concentration to ween the users off product over a time period. You could also offer a product WITHOUT nicotine.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm torn. I think it is better than cigarettes, but I think that the marketing needs to be SEVERELY restricted. I also think that they should step down the nicotine concentration to ween the users off product over a time period. You could also offer a product WITHOUT nicotine.

Regular tobacco cigarettes contain 7,000 chemicals, many of which are proven to be toxic and dangerous.
While marketing restrictions and regulations may be an avenue to pursue, we know it didn't work with cigarettes.
They do offer products without nicotine.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think more vacationers are vaping in their rooms because there is no smell like cigarettes? My last two TS stays have been at Hyatt's. I noticed Bonita Springs only had ash trays out by the main pool bar near the pool....which was an odd place since it was in a busy location around people sitting eating their food. Recently at Wild Oak I saw no area for smokers. There obviously are still smokers around....do people vape on vacation instead because there are limited or no spots for them to smoke cigarettes or cigars?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I don't vape and don't smoke, but I suspect that this might be related to some tainted products or poor quality or sanitation in where certain products are manufactured rather than to the actual act of vaping IMO.
Or maybe, just maybe, ingesting any foreign substance into your lungs is not good for you?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Or maybe, just maybe, ingesting any foreign substance into your lungs is not good for you?
That is true too. But people have been doing that with cigarettes for centuries and they don't usually cause sudden death like this.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Gee, if only everyone had such self control over the bad choices they make in life.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is true too. But people have been doing that with cigarettes for centuries and they don't usually cause sudden death like this.

Sudden death? No. Death? Absolutely! Cancer and heart disease, much of them the direct result of smoking, are the top 2 causes of death in the U.S. We’ve known these facts for at least 50 years now. Sometimes things are really simple but we try to complicate them to justify what we want to be true. The purpose of the lungs is to breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. That’s it. When we introduce other substances into them, it interferes with their only job. To what extent it interferes and causes harm varies by individual. The simplest way to reduce the chance of harm is to let the lungs do their job without interfering.

I’m a former smoker by the way so I know how easy it is to make those justifications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gee, if only everyone had such self control over the bad choices they make in life.

I didn’t say it was easy. But, it is a simple choice; smoke or don’t smoke; vape or don’t vape. Nothing complicated about that. Not smoking or vaping does no harm to you. Smoking and vaping do harm to you, potentially, deadly harm.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Do you think more vacationers are vaping in their rooms because there is no smell like cigarettes? My last two TS stays have been at Hyatt's. I noticed Bonita Springs only had ash trays out by the main pool bar near the pool....which was an odd place since it was in a busy location around people sitting eating their food. Recently at Wild Oak I saw no area for smokers. There obviously are still smokers around....do people vape on vacation instead because there are limited or no spots for them to smoke cigarettes or cigars?
The people below us this week at were definitely using the old fashioned kind. Ugh. But for the first time ever, I called security every time that I smelled it since I can't breathe when I'm around smoke and I decided that I didn't need to be chased off of the lanai every time that they were smoking. It took three days for them to find my smoking neighbors, but it finally stopped.

Btw, we went to NCV with vaping friends. They vaped on the balcony for the whole week, despite the signage prohibiting it, so I think that your answer is yes, people do it. It wasn't smell-free either. They used chocolate mint flavor and caramel apple flavor. Omg, the smell was cloyingly sweet. I'm not sure if that smell lingers inside or not.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The people below us this week at were definitely using the old fashioned kind. Ugh. But for the first time ever, I called security every time that I smelled it since I can't breathe when I'm around smoke and I decided that I didn't need to be chased off of the lanai every time that they were smoking. It took three days for them to find my smoking neighbors, but it finally stopped.
Perhaps is stopped because they checked out?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
When I was a kid some would sniff glue. Now they eat Tide detergent pods. And huff who knows what. So, vaping isn't the most unusual thing to do!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t say it was easy. But, it is a simple choice; smoke or don’t smoke; vape or don’t vape. Nothing complicated about that. Not smoking or vaping does no harm to you. Smoking and vaping do harm to you, potentially, deadly harm.

Unfortunately the choice, for those that suffer from any addiction, is not always "simple". And yes, it is an addiction just like many other addictions and yes, they can be quite complicated. I've seen what addiction can do to anyone, even those who believe they are somehow above such behavior. Recovery is far from as simple as just saying, don't do it. Perhaps they can include that in the eulogy of those that have died. If only they would have thought, just don't do it.

In just a few words, I can tell you don't fully understand the heartbreak this causes both the individual and the families of those that suffer from any form of addiction. And there is nothing I can say that will change that.

However, let me be the first to congratulate you on leading such an exemplary life.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately the choice, for those that suffer from any addiction, is not always "simple". And yes, it is an addiction just like many other addictions and yes, they can be quite complicated. I've seen what addiction can do to anyone, even those who believe they are somehow above such behavior. Recovery is far from as simple as just saying, don't do it. Perhaps they can include that in the eulogy of those that have died. If only they would have thought, just don't do it.

In just a few words, I can tell you don't fully understand the heartbreak this causes both the individual and the families of those that suffer from any form of addiction. And there is nothing I can say that will change that.

However, let me be the first to congratulate you on leading such an exemplary life.

I do know the heartbreak and have several family members that have died of cancer or heart disease and some who smoked cigarettes until the day they died. However, addiction wasn’t the topic I was responding to. The poster I was responding to seemed to be suggesting that vaping alone couldn’t be the cause of these deaths, that there had to be bad bacteria or something else that caused the deaths. I was simply saying that ingesting any foreign substances into your lungs is bad for you. Vaping and smoking are bad for you. There doesn’t necessarily have to be any other factors for them to very bad for you.

And, yes, once you’ve made that choice and become addicted, it can be extremely difficult, even impossible for some to overcome. In case you missed it in another post above, I also admitted to being a former smoker.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm not sure about the smell. A friend of mine rents out a casita that is on her property. In her lease it says "no smoking". Awhile ago she had the tenant in the casita and another short term tenant in a room in her house. She heard some kind of altercation going on the found the two women outside arguing. The tenant in the house had smelled/found the casita tenant vaping. My friend had to amend her lease to say "no smoking OR vaping".

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
A couple of things I do not understand. E-cigarettes and Vaping Pens have been around for years. So why are there suddenly (last couple of months) all these cases of people with serious lung disease. What changed about the product? What changed about how people are using the Product? Are more people using After Market Products? No one seems to be asking these questions.

People on National News (Today Show this morning) attacking the use of E-cigarettes. Their News Story seems shallow, poorly done, lacking almost any real information. But then this is what I have come to expect from all major news sources on all issues. If the choice is E-cigarettes or Tobacco Cigarettes would they rather we all want back to Tobacco.

Some asked earlier about other products. Yes there are Nicotine Patches, Nicotine gum/lozenges, etc. Nicotine gum/lozenge turned my stomach. Patches did not work long term for me. Since I switched to E-cigarettes 5.5 years ago I have had no desire to go back to tobacco cigarettes.

Also unless you buy a flavored e-cigarette they have no smell.

Last edited: