• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Affiliate Resorts how are # points determined?

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question :If you buy a floating week at a Hilton Affiliated Resort how are the points you get determined?
Are you assigned a week and if so do you get to pick the week when you purchase in order to get a Red/Platinum week?
I own a floating week at another resort but it's red weeks all year so it doesn't matter but I was wondering how Hilton works.
Thanks for any help you can give me

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill4728

Reaction score
The seasons you own at an affiliate resort are determined by what the rules are at the resort. ( not determine by HGVC)

Many of the affiliate resorts have seasons which do not match the HGVC assigned season for those resorts.

I believe that the # of HGVC pts you get varies each year. It is determined by the week you reserve at the resort and then what HGVC season that week falls. So if you reserve a week that falls in Platinum season, you'll get the number of pts needed to reserve that size unit in Platinum season. BUT if you reserve a week in Gold season, you'll only get the number of pts needed to reserve that size unit in gold season.

Affiliate owners -- That right isn't it??

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Although I'm not an affiliate owner, Bill's explanation was my understanding as well.

Kurt

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I contacted Hilton. It really depends upon which resort your a looking at. The SouthWest Florida properties have what is called Flex Weeks. The Valdoro resort in Colorado has what is called Floating Weeks and it is totally different in its management than the Southwest Florida properties. There are Floating Ski Weeks and Floating Summer Weeks.

Therefore, to answer your question. Hilton would need to know precisely which resort you are considering.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
While some SW Florida resorts have flex weeks, many (if not most) have fixed week ownership, and so your week has a fixed point value every year.

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Affiliate Resorts

The resort I am asking about is The Charter Club of Marco Beach.
From what I have read here and at the Hilton website if I buy a week that isn't fixed I have to put in a request every year for a week that I want and if it's available on a first come first served basis I can get it.
I'm just concerned that if I buy a week I won't be able to get the week I want.
It wouldn't be a holiday week-probably in March or Sep-Oct.
I hope I'm starting to understand this as it seems to be a good plan.
Thanks again for being so patient with me-sometimes it takes a while to sink in

Bill4728

Reaction score
The resort I am asking about is The Charter Club of Marco Beach.
From what I have read here and at the Hilton website if I buy a week that isn't fixed I have to put in a request every year for a week that I want and if it's available on a first come first served basis I can get it.
I'm just concerned that if I buy a week I won't be able to get the week I want.
It wouldn't be a holiday week-probably in March or Sep-Oct.
What you're describing is what all owners with a floating week TSs have to deal with. If the season you own has several good week and several not so good weeks, there will be a rush by owners who try to get a good week and leave you with one of the not so good weeks. What people do is call as soon as they can to reserve the best weeks. In the case of this TS, it is likely about 12 months ahead of check-in.

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Affiliate Resorts

Thanks for all your replies.
Now I'm scared because I think I finally understand it!:clap:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Thanks for all your replies.
Now I'm scared because I think I finally understand it!:clap:

"Great, kid. Don't get cocky." -- Hans Solo (Star Wars, 1977)

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Affiliate resorts

Ok here I go again.
If I have a fixed week and want to use a different week is the proccess the same as a flex/floating week?
Be gentle! I'm trying as hard as I can to understand this.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Ok here I go again.
If I have a fixed week and want to use a different week is the proccess the same as a flex/floating week?
Be gentle! I'm trying as hard as I can to understand this.

If you have a fixed week at an affiliate resort and want to trade it for HGVC pts to use at any of the HGVC resorts, you deposit your week in HGVC and use your pts to make a reservation.

BUT if you have a fixed week and want a different week at the same resort, You may find that the resort (not HGVC) may be the best way of getting a different week. This is because the resort may have a way for owners to trade weeks between themselves.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you have a fixed week at an affiliate resort and want to trade it for HGVC pts to use at any of the HGVC resorts, you deposit your week in HGVC and use your pts to make a reservation.

BUT if you have a fixed week and want a different week at the same resort, You may find that the resort (not HGVC) may be the best way of getting a different week. This is because the resort may have a way for owners to trade weeks between themselves.

This is a good point. If you convert your week to points to try and reserve a different week, you will have to compete with all HGVC members at the 9-month reservation window. If you could exchange through the resort, you would have a much better chance of getting what you need.

Kurt

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Affiliate Resorts

Thanks again for all your help
I think I've explored all the different ways to use a unit and now I just need time to figure out just what I want and can afford:clap:

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
I've come across a Charter Club deed for sale, Silver season and flex week, but I wouldn't mind the season itself since my wife and I often go to Florida in the winter, and flex isn't a problem either as we're flexible. We would use that deed most of the time, but I'm always interested in points as a backup. The estoppel of that properties says N/A in that matter. Does this property convert to HGVC points, even though the estoppel says N/A?

Based on your information guys - @PigsDad, @Bill4728, @Bigbird130 - it sounds like they do convert to HGVC points (any property is bookable with them) if you request so, but I'd like to double check with you. Any information on that would be much appreciated.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've come across a Charter Club deed for sale, Silver season and flex week, but I wouldn't mind the season itself since my wife and I often go to Florida in the winter, and flex isn't a problem either as we're flexible. We would use that deed most of the time, but I'm always interested in points as a backup. The estoppel of that properties says N/A in that matter. Does this property convert to HGVC points, even though the estoppel says N/A?

Based on your information guys - @PigsDad, @Bill4728, @Bigbird130 - it sounds like they do convert to HGVC points (any property is bookable with them) if you request so, but I'd like to double check with you. Any information on that would be much appreciated.
Joining HGVC is optional for a Charter Club deed, so that is probably why the estoppel says N/A. You can choose to join as part of your closing or choose to do so later. There is an enrollment fee of around $600 I believe. If you have an enrolled flex week, you still go though the resort to reserve your week, and then if you choose not use it that year, you can cancel that reservation and it will be turned into points that are added to your account for that year.

If you are looking at a flex week, I believe that will float over both Silver and Gold season weeks so you will want to verify the actual week numbers you could reserve with that deed. Most of the winter weeks are Platinum, so you would not get access to those with that flex week. For details, I would suggest calling the Charter Club sales office and chat with someone there.

Kurt

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@PigsDad Thanks a ton for explaining how it works. Good call - I'll call their sales office to talk more. Thank you!

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@PigsDad Since you're an owner at Charter Club, I have a couple questions:

1. What kind of deed do you have - a fixed week or a flex week?
2. How does the booking process look like overall?
2a. Do you book online directly with Charter Club, or call them directly, or you book online via HGVC?
2b. Is there a notion of "home week priority", given it's a HGVC concept? If there is, how to utilize it?
3. Have you ever converted to points, and how do you do that?
4. The deed I'm looking at is Use type: flex, Week #: 40, Season: Silver. Given Silver season is weeks 19-23, 34-42, 49-50, how do you estimate odds that weeks 49 or 50 are available to use?
5. The deed I'm looking at is Unit Number: 107. Based on https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/charter-club-of-marco-beach-unit-question.316407/ and https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/the-charter-club-room-104-south-tower.108277/post-804929, it sounds like it's the first floor in the north tower (closer to the beach) so not the best view on the beach/gulf. Have you come across a map of the resorts where placement of units can be looked up? CC @Bigbird130 Or can you confirm my interpretation below is correct?

Screenshot_20211206_121034.jpg

Looking for as much precise information as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can answer a few of your questions, but because I have a fixed week, I don't have experience w/ the flex week details.

@PigsDad Since you're an owner at Charter Club, I have a couple questions:

1. What kind of deed do you have - a fixed week or a flex week?
2. How does the booking process look like overall?
2a. Do you book online directly with Charter Club, or call them directly, or you book online via HGVC?
2b. Is there a notion of "home week priority", given it's a HGVC concept? If there is, how to utilize it?
3. Have you ever converted to points, and how do you do that?
I own a fixed week 51 deed. The reservation is made automatically for me about two years in advance and can be seen in my reservation list on the HGVC portal / app. I don't deal w/ Charter Club for the reservation since it is a fixed week. I believe for a flex week you would put in your preferences each year with the resort and there is a lottery if more people want a week that what is available. That is how you would make your "Home Week" reservation -- you would not do it through HGVC.

After you reserve your week, if you don't want to use it, you can call up HGV and cancel the week and the points associated with that week would be added to your account for that year.

4. The deed I'm looking at is Use type: flex, Week #: 40, Season: Silver. Given Silver season is weeks 19-23, 34-42, 49-50, how do you estimate odds that weeks 49 or 50 are available to use?
This is where you need to call Charter Club or someone who has experience w/ a Flex week can chime in. Even though the deed lists it as a certain week and unit number, I think that is just for inventory purposes. I thought Flex weeks deeds floated across more than just what is listed as Silver season, so if you happen to get a Gold week in the reservation lottery and decided to cancel that reservation and convert it to points, you would get 5000 HGVC points, but if your reservation was a Silver week, you would only get 3500 points for that year. This, of course, only applies if you have your week enrolled with HGVC. You have to realize that the concept of HGVC seasons was not part of Charter Club when it first started -- they already had the Flex deeds in place so when HGVC came in, they overlaid a Season mapping that may not have matched up perfectly w/ the Flex weeks that were already in place. Again, I may be incorrect in this, so confirm with Charter Club.

5. The deed I'm looking at is Unit Number: 107. Based on https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/charter-club-of-marco-beach-unit-question.316407/ and https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/the-charter-club-room-104-south-tower.108277/post-804929, it sounds like it's the first floor in the north tower (closer to the beach) so not the best view on the beach/gulf. Have you come across a map of the resorts where placement of units can be looked up? Or can you confirm my interpretation below is correct?

View attachment 43183
That picture is correct. But given that you are looking at a Flex week deed, the unit you get in the lottery could be any unit. I think the best units are x05-x07. They have a great, unobstructed beach / gulf view. The reason I don't include the x08 units is that Marriott Crystal Shores is next door on that side and, frankly, the noise level can be disruptive at times. All of the corner units have a wrap-around lanai which adds quite a bit more space, plus more windows / natural light in the living room of the units. The units on the first floor are actually up on level from the ground floor, so the first floor still has decent views. I don't think the trees block any view on the second floor and up. The x01-x04 unit still have a very good beach / gulf view, especially any unit third floor or above. Our fixed week is 805, which we really like: great beach view plus, with the wrap-around lanai we also can view the pool area.

Another thing to mention is that when you stay there, you have free access to kayaks, paddleboards, Hobie Cat sailboats (they will also give you a free lesson!), and bikes for touring the island.

Hope that helps out a bit. We absolutely love our week at Charter Club (we will be there in less than two weeks!).

Kurt

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First of all, thank you @PigsDad - you're the best!

I believe for a flex week you would put in your preferences each year with the resort and there is a lottery if more people want a week that what is available. That is how you would make your "Home Week" reservation -- you would not do it through HGVC. After you reserve your week, if you don't want to use it, you can call up HGV and cancel the week and the points associated with that week would be added to your account for that year.

Oh, very interesting. That sounds pretty good actually. No need for first-come-first-served shenanigans - just sign up, and your week will be announced to you at a later point, and then decide if you want to keep it or trade for HGVC points.

You have to realize that the concept of HGVC seasons was not part of Charter Club when it first started -- they already had the Flex deeds in place so when HGVC came in, they overlaid a Season mapping that may not have matched up perfectly w/ the Flex weeks that were already in place.

Gotcha, thanks. I'll ask Charter Club for details.

That picture is correct.

Thanks for confirming, and hope this is useful for others.

Another thing to mention is that when you stay there, you have free access to kayaks, paddleboards, Hobie Cat sailboats (they will also give you a free lesson!), and bikes for touring the island.

Awesome! Are you aware of other Marco Island timeshares offering the same?

Hope that helps out a bit. We absolutely love our week at Charter Club (we will be there in less than two weeks!).

Awesome, congrats on your ownership and enjoy your stay! How does Charter Club compare to other Marco Island properties? (Eagle's Nest, Club Regency, Surf Club, and Sunset Cove)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Awesome! Are you aware of other Marco Island timeshares offering the same?
Charter Club is the only property on Marco Island that offers these amenities.

Awesome, congrats on your ownership and enjoy your stay! How does Charter Club compare to other Marco Island properties? (Eagle's Nest, Club Regency, Surf Club, and Sunset Cove)
Eagle's Nest is a little newer, more "refined" and larger / more lobby amenities, but units are a bit smaller. Their weeks are Fri-Fri, so not good for combining with another Marco Island resort (the others are Sat-Sat). The tower is all 2BR units, but the do have the only HGVC 1BR units on Marco Island in their "villas" buildings.

I also own Surf Club (fixed week 52), and it is very similar to Charter Club (all 2BR), but no W/D in the unit (two W/D on each floor). It is only one building and little over 1/2 the size of CC.

Haven't been to Club Regency (all 2BR, many not ocean front views) or Sunset Cove (all 3BR, not on the beach).

Kurt

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own a fixed week 51 deed.

I also own Surf Club (fixed week 52),

Sounds like Christmas and NYE in Marco Island for you every year, eh? Pretty cool :) How much did you pay for each property? Developer price, developer price with a trade-in, or resale?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like Christmas and NYE in Marco Island for you every year, eh? Pretty cool :) How much did you pay for each property? Developer price, developer price with a trade-in, or resale?
Yep, for several years now. Bought both weeks resale. :love:

Kurt

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@PigsDad Is parking free at Charter Club? How about other properties?