• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aeromexico flight to/from Cancun

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not heard good things about Aeromexico airline (particular flight changes planes in Mexico City). But, my info is a few years old. Does anyone have recent experience flying to Cancun with a Stop in Mexico City? Airplanes relatively new and clean? Is Mexico City Airport safe? Thank you for your help.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Cant speak to Aeromexico as we flew with the now defunct Interjet and also Volaris when Interjet cancelled the first leg of our flight to Toronto. We had a connection in Mexico City and it is a huge airport. We arrived on a domestic flight from Chetumal which is south of Cancun and had to go to an international departure area. We walked for well over 30 minutes at a brisk pace to our departure gate. The airport was very clean (even the washrooms) and well signed even though it was under construction (expansion) at the time. We felt perfectly safe and noticed armed guards everywhere. The staff we had contact with were all very helpful and polite. We had a pass to a lounge which was nice as we had a 4+ hour layover. This was at the very start of Covid.

~Diane

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Airplanes relatively new
Maybe someone in the airline industry can confirm that planes that are landing in the U.S. or another country are required to meet the standards of the country they are arriving in? I used to fly AeroMexico and Mexicana in an out of the U.S. years ago, and I never gave the safety factor (aka age of the plane) a second thought.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Many Aeromexico flights are flown by Delta. Once you book, you can access all the info on Delta's web site. But if Aeromexico cancels a flight or makes a major change in your flights, Delta will not reschedule for you. You must go back and negotiate with Aeromexico. You may find that some of the Delta alternatives are no longer available. That recently happened to us...we had to stay over an extra day at an airport hotel the get a reasonable flight back to Pittsburgh.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only flown AM once. from SJD to Mexico City. Plane was ancient. Like still had the old "foot rests" like on a recliner (I was in First class). Although I vaguely recall something about Aeromexico safety issues leading to grounding of flights (might be a certification issue).

Although I don't think it affects AM flights that aren't DL codeshares (ie, intra-Mexico flights on AM).

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've flown them in the past, but will never fly with them again. Last time was CUN - SFO. They changed itineraries several times before we left, including adding a stop on our way back.
However, the nail in the coffin was landing in SFO at 11:00 pm, waiting to retrieve our luggage. Apparently they never hired a crew to deplane the luggage! We waited over 2 hours, until they could convince a crew from another airline to unload our luggage!
Our calls and emails complaining went unanswered.
As I said, never again.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I've only had one problem with AeroMéxico. They delayed my flight from Acapulco to México City which made me miss my connection home. They put me up in at the Camino Real hotel in CDMX and gave me several meal vouchers. I was happy - but I'm retired and my schedule is very flexible. I have seen one of the other airlines cancel two consecutive flights from CDMX to Tijuana though. If you want to see angry, try two planes full of bumped passengers crowded into the ticketing area of an airline.

PPAES

Reaction score
My last flight to Cancun (September) was with AM. It was a very pleasant experience, quick check-in at O’Hare airport, new planes with individual entertainment, my wife and I had free beers, hot sandwiches, friendly crew and definitely, I would AM again.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Never had issues with AM. We have found them easier to fly and friendlier than many major US airlines.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We have flown Aeromexico to/from Pittsburgh/Cancun. These flights are actually flown by Delta, but priced lower on Aeromexico. Aeromexico honors our Delta card, so we get bags free. The only issue we have encountered is that when a flight gets cancelled or modified, Delta will not help you reschedule if the new schedule does not work for you. You must do that with Aeromexico, and some Delta options may not then be available to you. This is our case for our return flights next month. We must now stay over an extra day at a Cancún airport hotel to get reasonable departure and arrival times for our flights home. It's Bonvoy points for us and the hotel's restaurant look good, so no big deal, but still an annoyance.