• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice- Trade high week NCV for Maui OC close to 60 days from check-in on II?

CourtShorr

Reaction score
We are purchasing a Platinum week at Marriott NCV with a booking in place for June 19th. We are unable to use this week this year. We can maybe use it October 2020 but hate to lose the high week. We will not take ownership until potentially the end of April which is nearly at the 60 days before check-in limit.

We are wondering if this week would still trade well in II for maybe Marriott Maui OC next year, Oct 2021, if we deposit it right before the 60 day limit. Or is it better to request the current owner move the NCV week to October this year when we can use it and give up the high week.

We are planning to go to Maui next year, but are afraid the trading power is not high enough if we trade in so late. Any advice is much appreciated.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your trading power will be eroded by depositing so late into Interval International. The time to deposit a week is a year in advance for maximum trading power. Not to say you won't get what you want, but your trading power will be less if you request an OGS.

Now, if you want to search on your own you may pick up something but Marriott Maui trades are scarce (and ALWAYS grabbed quickly).

I think you may be better off to take ownership of your NCV with the stipulation of first use in 2021. Doing this will allow you to grab a 2021 week this year, and either plan to occupy it in 2021 or immediately deposit it into Interval International so you can maximize your trading power and do an OGS (Ongoing Search).

By the way, a 2021 plan may in fact be better so that you may make airfare arrangements far in advance!

I hope your NCV passes ROFR, and best of luck with your plans!

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Your trading power will be eroded by depositing so late into Interval International. The time to deposit a week is a year in advance for maximum trading power. Not to say you won't get what you want, but your trading power will be less if you request an OGS.

Now, if you want to search on your own you may pick up something but Marriott Maui trades are scarce (and ALWAYS grabbed quickly).

I think you may be better off to take ownership of your NCV with the stipulation of first use in 2021. Doing this will allow you to grab a 2021 week this year, and either plan to occupy it in 2021 or immediately deposit it into Interval International so you can maximize your trading power and do an OGS (Ongoing Search).

By the way, a 2021 plan may in fact be better so that you may make airfare arrangements far in advance!

I hope your NCV passes ROFR, and best of luck with your plans!

Thanks for the info! Are all the Hawaiian Marriotts similarly scarce and grabbed up quickly?

Finger crossed on the ROFR.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Are all the Hawaiian Marriotts similarly scarce and grabbed up quickly?

Yes!

Marriott has ROFR and most closing firms can submit it electronically. They do have 30 days to respond, but usually you will find out in just a few days due to electronic submission.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Not as much. I see Ko Olina and Waiohai more frequently on manual searches. Also Kauai Beach Club, although those are almost always one bedroom units.

I've seen a Kauai Lagoons only once and have never seen a Waikoloa.

These manual searches were with a Kierland shoulder season one bedroom unit -- a good trader in Vistana, but obviously no Marriott preference. So everything I saw was something that got past the Marriott-to-Marriott preference period (except Interval errors, which may explain my Kauai Lagoons sighting).

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
You can look into renting this year and using proceeds to rent Hawaii. This is what had to do. We already had plans for this Spring Break so rented the week. I am just waiting for Sprinf Break 2021 reservation window to open.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
You can look into renting this year and using proceeds to rent Hawaii. This is what had to do. We already had plans for this Spring Break so rented the week. I am just waiting for Sprinf Break 2021 reservation window to open.
Thank you! We are leaning towards that!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are purchasing a Platinum week at Marriott NCV with a booking in place for June 19th. We are unable to use this week this year. We can maybe use it October 2020 but hate to lose the high week. We will not take ownership until potentially the end of April which is nearly at the 60 days before check-in limit.

We are wondering if this week would still trade well in II for maybe Marriott Maui OC next year, Oct 2021, if we deposit it right before the 60 day limit. Or is it better to request the current owner move the NCV week to October this year when we can use it and give up the high week.

We are planning to go to Maui next year, but are afraid the trading power is not high enough if we trade in so late. Any advice is much appreciated.
I'd assume you'll be within the 60 day window before you are set up with II. After closing it'll take another week or 2 for MVC to get this all changed and listed. If the owner can move it back, say to August, that would be helpful but might not be available now. You're likely better off with a fall week than right at or after 60 days out though plus you'll have to then get it listed with II.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I disagree with the prior posts. Just deposit prior to 60 days and put in an OGS . October is not high season and I am sure you will match. If I had any advice I would put in for Maui, Kauai, and Honolulu. Then be patient.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
I disagree with the prior posts. Just deposit prior to 60 days and put in an OGS . October is not high season and I am sure you will match. If I had any advice I would put in for Maui, Kauai, and Honolulu. Then be patient.
Thank you. We'll keep this in mind if we pass ROFR.