• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice re. Cancer Treatments

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin recently discovered she has Stage III colon cancer. She wants to avoid chemo so has committed to trying the Burzynski Clinic.

Not my decision to make, but I thought Stage III was fairly treatable with standard Chemo, etc. So last week I was doing some online investigation and found not many, but a couple of negative posts, including this one.

I'm just hoping it's the right decision for her, and I'm also hoping anyone who has experience in this area might be willing to share.

gpurtz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should do what you can to get your cousin to go to MD Anderson.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the Burzynski Clinic methods were more effective than chemotherapy, it would be the treatment of choice. Medical treatments are recommended based on extensive research and results interpretation. Cancer treatment is based on clinical guidelines that are derived by both prospective and retrospective studies of thousands of people undergoing treatment. The Burzynski methods are not part of those guidelines. I would strongly encourage your cousin to follow research validated treatment, not experimental treatment.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that she should only follow the treatment of legitimate oncologists and cancer centers. Also many chemos have been given a "bad rap" from years and years ago when everyone got violently sick with chemo - that just is not the case anymore and no one should draw the line in the sand at "no chemo." And if a chemo does not agree with you, the oncologist usually has another one that will.

Once you are in the system you are much less likely to fall prey to scams like this but she is at the door of a legitimate treatment center and does not want to go in. That is a huge mistake, probably a deadly one. Probably one of the best things you can do is ask what type of chemo was recommended, go with her to the doctor for more explanation and/or tell her you will accompany her to her first chemo treatment (that is if you are geographically able to do so.) Also, ask her why she is so scared of chemo? What she may be is in denial that she has cancer and wants to avoid coming to terms with that assessment.

I believe that the American Cancer Center has a buddy system where they try to hook up a person with the same or similar cancer with the new cancer patient and you should look into that.

Please keep us posted of any efforts that are helpful as in my view she is making a potentially deadly mistake with no information or recent experience with cancer treatments. Funtime

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.

Unfortunately, she does not live within driving distance. She's kept this very quiet and she's not been responding to calls and emails, until she announced this decision. And she has a history of avoiding doctors and trying alternative treatments.

My fear is if she goes down this path and it doesn't work, then it may be too late to turn back.

I am going to collect as much information as I can get and try my best to reason with her. At some point, I'll probably have to back off as the bottom line is it's her decision.

TSchmidt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who was also diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer. She did extensive research and decided to go here: http://blockmd.com/ for treatment and has been very happy. She had surgery, chemo which was specifically designed for her type of cancer, and changed her diet drastically. She eats only fish, good carbs and no sweets. It has been almost two years now and she is doing very well.

Best wishes to your friend. These are hard decisions to make.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who was also diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer. She did extensive research and decided to go here: http://blockmd.com/ for treatment and has been very happy. She had surgery, chemo which was specifically designed for her type of cancer, and changed her diet drastically. She eats only fish, good carbs and no sweets. It has been almost two years now and she is doing very well.

Best wishes to your friend. These are hard decisions to make.

Thank you for sending this along. This place at first glance appears to be a balance of chemo and diet. I will check into this further.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please give her encouragement from this group!

We are responding because we care even though we do not know your cousin. I suggest that if she does not respond to emails, print all of this information up and mail it to her including best wishes from TUGGERs including myself. She may have negative experiences tucked in her mind from someone who died twenty years ago - and life - and cancer treatments - have changed dramatically since then. Alternative diets can be a good thing and I doubt too many doctors would object to her changing her diet as most changes end up for the better. However, alternative treatments are deadly - not just a bad idea - but deadly. Whereas, with regular treatment - including chemo - cancer patients are living with cancer as a "chronic disease" and living for years after diagnosis or in the best of worlds, if they are not yet stage IV as she apparently is not, having the "traditional" cancer treatment entirely successful. Janette aka Funtime

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
She did extensive research and decided.......

This is the secret as far as I am concerned. It is exactly what I did when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 12 years ago. My goal was to try and know as much as my doctor about treatments in order to be able to have a meaningful discussion with him. The knowledge I gained was invaluable in making my decision how to be treated.

George

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score

My fear is if she goes down this path and it doesn't work, then it may be too late to turn back.

Isn't that what happened to Steve Jobs. Did not want the mainstream path and look where he ended up!!

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thought - have her look into Cancer Treatment Centers of America - there is one in Tulsa. While they are certainly not "cutting edge" her cancer might not be a tough kind of cancer. What they excel in is a lot of TLC - that is right - tender loving care and a lot of attention to the patient, a winning attitude and they have the ability to get the "fight up" in people. Food is also very good. This is from third parties but I believe it to be true. Funtime

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Isn't that what happened to Steve Jobs. Did not want the mainstream path and look where he ended up!!

First - sorry to hear the bad news - cancer sucks...

I work in this field (for a biopharm org - so I need to be careful in what I say...)

With mCRC - there are Std of Care options that are very very good - First and Foremost... get to a major cancer care center (e.g. MD Anderson, but there are many others...) to find-out treatent options and start treatment ASAP - do not delay this as this is the largest determinate for survival time - you can do internet research concurrently while this is going on.

Second - insist the oncologist find out the KRAS status of the tumor (wild-type or mutant) as this will play a large role in the treatment options.

There are many clinical studies evaluating new treatments for mCRC - check out this web-site
http://clinicaltrials.gov/
most major clinical study centers are located in big cities, and associated with the research centers. The hassle (and expense?) of doing this may be the difference in seeing more birthdays, births, holidays, etc with loved ones (and they with you).

Steve Jobs had an unusual type of pancreatic cancer (called PNET) - if it was not PNET type of pancreatic cancer he would not have survived for more than 6-months (most likely). Regardless, mCRC is not PNET - and mCRC has great treatment options (whereas pancreatic and PNET do not).

best of wishes...

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hop,
Thanks for the link to that recent news story on the clinic. That is exactly what I was looking for--some ammunition which isn't too old.

David,
It's so good to hear there is hope and there are treatment options with promise.

My sis (who's an NP) finally had a very tough discussion with our cousin the other night. Oncologist apparently told the cousin it would take ~6 mos. to complete chemo and she'd not be able to work. She does not trust conventional medicine and believes the testimonial videos on the clinic's website. :(

I am very touched you've all taken the time to send your encouragement and sound advice. Thanks so very much.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David,
It's so good to hear there is hope and there are treatment options with promise.

My sis (who's an NP) finally had a very tough discussion with our cousin the other night. Oncologist apparently told the cousin it would take ~6 mos. to complete chemo and she'd not be able to work. She does not trust conventional medicine and believes the testimonial videos on the clinic's website. :(

That is incredibly sad to hear - and an extremely poor decision on her part that in all likelihood will result in her being alive for a significantly shorter time. Sorry if this seems harsh - but this is not something to take lightly.

Believe me - I am all for people's right to end their life with dignity (and live daily with the harsh reality of cancer), but in this case she is essentially giving up months/years (based on well-defined clinical outcomes) for being inconvenienced with 6-months of periodic Chemo every 3 weeks (with bevacizumab most likely). If this was pancreatic cancer it may be better argued that the benefit from treatment may not be worth the time gained - but not with stage 3 mCRC.

The 2 chemos that she is likely to get one that contain Irinotecan or Oxaliplatin - look these up - and yes they are toxic (for good reason), but often not as bad as they read (depending...) - BUT not as bad as death.

Also if she is KRAS-positive - there may be more biologically targetted molecules to use.

OK - again sorry for being direct - this is not to be taken lightly - best of luck...

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with David - please share all of this information. Funtime

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone has a different reaction to chemo and, of course, to the different kinds. I had mine over ten years ago and while it wasn't fun, it wasn't that bad. I felt worse after the first round but I never threw up at all. They put so much anti-nausea meds in it, that it just isn't as bad as the "olden days."
I'm sure it has probably improved even more by now.

I had a friend who threw up every time she had chemo. When I said something to my oncologist, he intimated that one's mindset/anxiousness can have a lot to do with it.