• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on where to buy

bncandi

Reaction score
Hi we are looking to buy a week resale and don’t want to go to the same resort/destination every year. We are looking for something we can trade into for different sorts of vacations (ex: Orlando one year, then maybe Caribbean, then maybe a ski vacation, etc…) Is there any recommendation for this sort of buyer. Something that will be a good trade value and have low to average maintenance fees?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Here are some threads to get you started....

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
You'll see this reflected in the threads @Fasttr linked, but I like my Willow Ridge platinum week. Cheap to buy, among the lowest annual MF fees, lockoff capable, and decent trading power, particularly if you're willing to stay within the Marriott family and take advantage of the II preference period. You'll see mentions of Grand Chateau, Grande Vista and Harbour Lake as well.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had great success trading both Harbor Lake and Grande Vista. I like GV especially with the Florida Club option, but it will cost you more upfront than a Harbor Lake week would.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi we are looking to buy a week resale and don’t want to go to the same resort/destination every year. We are looking for something we can trade into for different sorts of vacations (ex: Orlando one year, then maybe Caribbean, then maybe a ski vacation, etc…) Is there any recommendation for this sort of buyer. Something that will be a good trade value and have low to average maintenance fees?
I would put Willow Ridge, Grand Chateau, Grande Vista and Harbour Lake as the main trading options, all Platinum. Some might add Manor Club but fees have increases and the best weeks are limited or CA desert options (Gold or Platinum) but the fees are higher. My principles are cheap to buy, lock off option, reasonable fees. Other plans such as adding other weeks later would likely affect my choices. Of those I'd probably put overall cost as th priority and expect them all to trade ROUGHLY the same. In reality Grande Vista will likely trade the best of that group and Grande Chateau is the most flexible. I generally would not go for a 3 BR units and can explain if need be. Just take your time and understanding what you're getting into. Don't try to rush to get "savings" on the next trip.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
I personally would avoid the Florida resorts for the time being as it's unknown how the new Florida reserve law is going to shake out. It may end up being fine, but we won't know for a few years. If you want to jump in now, Grand Chateau or Willow Ridge would be my pick.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Good responses above. You will generally see TUG recommend the same few resorts...as reasonable entry price, reasonable MFees, and solid trading potential via II. Resorts like Grande Chateau, Grande Vista, etc.

We own at Grande Vista. It has delivered strong trades via II, if you book in advance and are flexible on exchange ask. I've traded it for Christmas ski, summer Hilton Head, spring break Caribbean, Hawaii, etc. Of course, we also use it in Orlando now and then also. Recommend purchasing Platinum season, for highest "travel demand index" (TDI - term used by II). We own 2BR Plat lock-offs. While excellent, I do wish we would own them in a 3BR. Not much higher entry point/MFees, but a little more flexibility in space for full villa and also lock-off.

Anyhow. Good luck.

redbo

Reaction score
I would put Willow Ridge, Grand Chateau, Grande Vista and Harbour Lake as the main trading options, all Platinum. Some might add Manor Club but fees have increases and the best weeks are limited or CA desert options (Gold or Platinum) but the fees are higher. My principles are cheap to buy, lock off option, reasonable fees. Other plans such as adding other weeks later would likely affect my choices. Of those I'd probably put overall cost as th priority and expect them all to trade ROUGHLY the same. In reality Grande Vista will likely trade the best of that group and Grande Chateau is the most flexible. I generally would not go for a 3 BR units and can explain if need be. Just take your time and

We no longer have access to Wyndham that we used for many years, I have been doing a lot of reading through the forums specific to Marriott and feel it is best for our needs. I have plenty of experience with Wyndham and points but Marriott and weeks/trading will be brand new.

There are two main reasons/usage for my ultimate pruchase:
1) provide the resort stay for bi-annual family vacations at tropical destinations (needing variations of 3 bedroom to accomodate my wife and me and two grown sons).
2) provide travel for my wife and me in the alternate years, sometimes travelling with other couples. We have used Wyndham in the past for weeklong and shorter stays and at this point have preferred to stay in different locations and not frequently returning to the same location.

I saw your comment about "generally" not going for 3BR and would be interested in your thoughts. Based on information I had gathered and some input from members, I had been leaning towards a 3 BR lockoff at GC. From what I have read, that should accomplish our main needs of providing the destination resort for a larger family trip, and plenty for the alternate year. I recently started looking at WR based on comments of good trading and lower entry point. It looks like a 2 BR at WR will run a few thousand less that 3 BR at QC. I am wondering if it may be better to purchase one, or possible 2 BR at WR.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Platinum week at Marriott Willow Ridge in Branson is a good trader. Cheaper maintenance fees than other Marriotts and a great trader.