• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on purchase at Sunset Royal, Cancun

Raylynne

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset World Group Resorts
Hello everyone, I will need your help.

Last May 13, 2019 I purchased a club vacation membership in Sunset Royal for a Studio Flex for $30k and we had a DP for $4,300usd. When we signed the contracts they told us we have to packed our things and we will be moved-in to Sunset Royal, and before that they asked us about the tours if we had purchased already. And I did, but not affiliated with the resort, I paid $180usd for a downpayment. They said, they will give us the tours for free and just leave the tours we had purchased from the one outside the resort. They gave us a 4 tours which is Isla Mujeres, Xelha, Xenses and Xplore. They also promised me that they will give me an access for their online portal to unlock cheap vacation packages and hotel all over the world. So I trusted this Filipino Rep.

May 15 has passed but no online access was given to me. So I started to worry and look over the contracts I signed and there I found that I can cancel the contract with in the 5 days period on the day of your signing. The next day, May 16, Me and my husband went to the Sales Room and handed them the cancellation letter. It was then received and signed by theRepresentative. We even have a voice recording of our whole conversation. He mentioned that I can received my full money back with 15business days. I even returned the Xenses and Xplore tickets. When we signed the papers we didn't ask for those tours and forcing us to betransferred.

May 28, I phoned them with regards to the status of our cancellation and they said if I cancel it I have to pay the stay we had in Sunset Royal for 3 nights and the toursgiven to us amounting $5,400usd. CRAZY!!!! They will not return my money plus they want extra money from me.

I phoned my credit card provider, and they said just give them the promised date to return your money. But if not you have to call us right away.

Now my question is, Can I just dispute this charge and change my credit card? Coz the hotel are not cooperating, They just want our money :( I do have a recorded video that the Rep promised to return all the money in ny credit card.

PLEASE HELP. I need advises.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Raylynne and welcome to TUG.

Someone may or may not be able to give you some advise, but to better increase your chance of a response will you please post where Sunset Royal is located ?

Thank you, and good luck with your situation.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Raylynne, I think that their moving you into upgraded rooms, and giving you tickets to attractions were a prize, or gift, for you purchasing their timeshare package, NOT gifts for attending the presentation. I know that it seems unfair that they are charging you for those upgrades and perks at full retail, but I have a hunch that somewhere in that contract, they express the right to do so if you back out. And they get to determine the value of those goodies, not you.

I don't know if they will negotiate a lower cost for the perks you got from them, but that may be the best you can hope for. On the other hand, if you don't rescind, the upgrades and perks would be waived, but how much more would their package cost you?

You're certainly welcome to contest the credit card purchase, or even cancel the card, but it's unlikely to come out with you getting all your money back.

Jim

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
welcome to TUG! If i were you I would absolutely try to negotiate this price for those 3 days. You may have to escalate to a supervisor and threaten to report them to the Mexican consumer protection agency. I am looking at their site, a studio at Sunset Royal is USD 293 per night so i am not sure how few tickets and the 3 day stay can amount to $5400. This is highway robbery. At the minimum, they should have to itemize the prices so you have an idea of the calculation.
I hope you will be able to get most of your money back.

At the same time, you should also see the bright side of this story. Many people who bought timeshares from the developers did not manage to cancel in time so they realized after only few months, weeks or even only days that they spent tens of thousands of dollars on something that has little if any retail value and they virtually wasted ALL the money. In your case, as sad as it may be, you may end up with a loss of "only" $5400 rather than $30,000.
So cancel the deal with them (one way or another) and, if you still like the idea of timesharing look into buying resale. We paid about 15k for all our timeshares and it would have cost us close to $150,000 to buy the same timeshares from the developer. If you really like Cancun I really recommend Westin Lagunamar platinum season, we love the resort and we own few contracts there (among others).
I would also recommend if you buy a timeshare to buy one of the reputable companies: Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt, Disney, Welk, Hilton. These companies, although they also have some aggressive selling tactics, would have never done this to you. They are public companies with too much to lose in terms of reputation.

upload_2019-5-29_22-19-18.png

Rpvc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I will need your help.

Last May 13, 2019 I purchased a club vacation membership in Sunset Royal for a Studio Flex for $30k and we had a DP for $4,300usd. When we signed the contracts they told us we have to packed our things and we will be moved-in to Sunset Royal, and before that they asked us about the tours if we had purchased already. And I did, but not affiliated with the resort, I paid $180usd for a downpayment. They said, they will give us the tours for free and just leave the tours we had purchased from the one outside the resort. They gave us a 4 tours which is Isla Mujeres, Xelha, Xenses and Xplore. They also promised me that they will give me an access for their online portal to unlock cheap vacation packages and hotel all over the world. So I trusted this Filipino Rep.

May 15 has passed but no online access was given to me. So I started to worry and look over the contracts I signed and there I found that I can cancel the contract with in the 5 days period on the day of your signing. The next day, May 16, Me and my husband went to the Sales Room and handed them the cancellation letter. It was then received and signed by theRepresentative. We even have a voice recording of our whole conversation. He mentioned that I can received my full money back with 15business days. I even returned the Xenses and Xplore tickets. When we signed the papers we didn't ask for those tours and forcing us to betransferred.

May 28, I phoned them with regards to the status of our cancellation and they said if I cancel it I have to pay the stay we had in Sunset Royal for 3 nights and the toursgiven to us amounting $5,400usd. CRAZY!!!! They will not return my money plus they want extra money from me.

I phoned my credit card provider, and they said just give them the promised date to return your money. But if not you have to call us right away.

Now my question is, Can I just dispute this charge and change my credit card? Coz the hotel are not cooperating, They just want our money :( I do have a recorded video that the Rep promised to return all the money in ny credit card.

PLEASE HELP. I need advises.
Hi just want to ask what happened?any updates?thank you

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi @Rpvc,
Raylynne was last on TUG in 2019

You might get a response by using the
Conversation - PM feature by clicking on the blue user name , and following the promps . This will cause an email to be sent that will show what you list in the statement / message title.
Realize that is up to Raylynne to respond .
Good luck.