• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lorirap

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott waiohai, Marriott Ko olina, Marriott shadow ridge
I own 3 weeks with MVC and want to purchase 1250 trust points so I can be executive level as well as have access to trust point reservations. I'm reluctant to buy through Marriott directly and wonder what the "penalty" is for buying resale. I want to be able to use these points to add to my weeks, 2 of which are in the destination program, so 1250 puts me in executive level. Does anyone have experience buying this way as an owner already? Will this work the same as buying direct, of course without the "incentive" or the " concierge help". Thank you.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
No penalty to buy on the resale market as long as you pay Marriott their $3 per point fee. You'll be treated just like you had purchased them directly from Marriott.

From a management perspective, I would advise buying points that expire on the calendar year as they are easier to manage (in my opinion).

Welcome to TUG.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I own 3 weeks with MVC and want to purchase 1250 trust points so I can be executive level as well as have access to trust point reservations. I'm reluctant to buy through Marriott directly and wonder what the "penalty" is for buying resale. I want to be able to use these points to add to my weeks, 2 of which are in the destination program, so 1250 puts me in executive level. Does anyone have experience buying this way as an owner already? Will this work the same as buying direct, of course without the "incentive" or the " concierge help". Thank you.
Trust point reservations is a sales tactic. Why not just rent points?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

We have both bought and sold points on the resale market. It sounds like you are aware of the benefits of being at the Executive level, which many agree is a great level to achieve. Once up you pay the fee to MVC the points are treated the same as if you bought directly from MVC. One question will be what price will pass their right of first refusal. We just sold 3,000 points at $3 per point and they exercised the ROFR. It is hard to know what they will do, but 1,250 points isn’t a common amount of points that I’ve seen on redweek (a few are listed). A lower price may pass. If not you can always try again at a little higher price.

Best regards.

Mike

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trust point reservations is a sales tactic. Why not just rent points?
Get you to executive level which gets you earlier reservation window.
I did same thing, buying resale of 1000 points. No penalty. Once you pay the junk fee they are treated just like Marriott purchased points.
If you work with a broker they can help you find strange amounts and also may have some advice on ROFR.

BabyDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points
I purchased Destination Trust points resale through Red Week. It was a low price but it was early in the pandemic so MVC did not exercise their right of first refusal (ROFR). The total cost, including the $3.00 per point that MVC charges it was less than half the cost directly through MVC. As stated above the points function the same as any Destination Club points.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll mostly echo what's above. First, you may want to consider 1500 instead of 1250 as the per point might be slightly better because of some of the fees, at least look at the comparison. Others can explain the specifics better than I. I assume your other week is not eligible without a purchase, that it is a post 2010 resale purchase. As noted, while there is a theoretical difference in access with trust points, in reality there is currently no difference and buying for that reason wouldn't make sense. Depending on what you're non enrolled week is and what specials you can get direct, you may at least want to consider whether purchasing direct and enrolling is worth the added cost and yearly dues. It likely isn't given your post but be informed about all options. What's the price difference between resale and retail after incentives, $3-4K depending? But you get access to the points more quickly retail and avoid the ROFR dance.

Lorirap

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott waiohai, Marriott Ko olina, Marriott shadow ridge
Thank you all for responding, it is very helpful. I have one week purchased through Marriott and a second resale which I paid to enroll in the destination program. My last week, acquired in 2016, every other year, was solely to use, and isn't eligible for points which I knew. Does anyone know of where the threshold for ROF Marriott is in the last 3 months? Also, can anyone recommend a good broker to help me acquire these points? Thank you.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for responding, it is very helpful. I have one week purchased through Marriott and a second resale which I paid to enroll in the destination program. My last week, acquired in 2016, every other year, was solely to use, and isn't eligible for points which I knew. Does anyone know of where the threshold for ROF Marriott is in the last 3 months? Also, can anyone recommend a good broker to help me acquire these points? Thank you.

Besides Brokers there are multiple sources for resale (i.e. For Sale by Owner) in which you can search for on your own such as:

www.redweek.com

www.vacationpointexchange.com

www.myresortnetwork.com

www.ebay.com

www.TUG2.net

Once you find what you want then retain LT Transfers to handle all the paperwork and escrow for you...... www.LTTransfers.com

Again, I recommend buying calendar year points as they are far easier to manage (in my opinion).

Last edited:

WeHa36

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to Tugbbs. I'm a MVC points owner, but considering purchasing 1500-2500 resale points on Redweek but I notice big differences in prices for the same point value (even ones that are Redweek Verified). Why is that?

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I'm new to Tugbbs. I'm a MVC points owner, but considering purchasing 1500-2500 resale points on Redweek but I notice big differences in prices for the same point value (even ones that are Redweek Verified). Why is that?
Each seller has their unique level of desperation.

AnnieBets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you buy 3000 and sell half? Are MVCI points the same as Destination Points? I’m just considering options.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you buy 3000 and sell half? Are MVCI points the same as Destination Points? I’m just considering options.
MVCI points is short hand for Destination Points. Usually stated that way to keep from confusing them with Marriott Bonvoy Points.
You could sell half but would probably lose money since there are fees and cost with every transaction and no guarantee that someone would want to buy at what you paid.

There are plenty of sellers out there so I would only buy what you need.
1000 is minimum you want to buy since the transfer fee is $750/BI (250 points) with a minimum of $3000. After that only buy what you want/need.
So if you are 1200 from executive status, only buy 1250 points.

When I need points, I talked with my broker and he quickly found what I needed at the price I wanted.

WeHa36

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each seller has their unique level of desperation.

Thanks for the feedback. I've attached an example that shows the variation in pricing.

Attachments

• Redweek re-sell points pricing.pdf
    214 KB · Views: 239

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point my suggestion would be to buy on ebay from a seller with many, many good recommendations. Unlike buying weeks, the only variation in DPs is the use year - I'd buy a January listing since it makes ownership a little easier.

The prices are excellent...or at least were until about two months ago when I stopped tracking listings. It took considerable restraint to avoid buying when prices dipped substantially under $2/pt...but I finally had to admit to myself that I don't want any more points...;-)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Buy only what you need as you could have difficulty in selling what you decide you don't want.

I suggest you purchase the minimum amount, and then "rent" additional points each year as you find that you need them: www.VacationPointExchange.com