• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice for MVC Los Suenos, Costa Rica please

Reaction score
First time travelers to Costa Rica and after a year of trying I was able to book 7 nights on destination points for a October '23. Husband and I and possibly 23 yo daughter may join. No idea what the weather will be, but we're going for it. :)
I've read a few reviews and will continue to search but looking for any advice and experiences others have had at this property.
I have questions about travel, nearest airport to resort? We'll be flying from Raleigh NC, I don't think there are non-stops.
What about a rental car? Should we rent and drive from airport, will we need one to get around during the week? Some people have mentioned the resort can arrange for excursions ... any reviews on those?
TIA!

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Los Suenos 2x and love it. In Feb we spent a week at the JW in Guanacaste then drove down to the MVC. October is in the rainy season but it should not ruin your vaca, many time it rains all night. Driving there is safe but slow going as it’s 1 lane each way. We have used Vamos the last 3 times we have been to Costa Rica with no complaints. There are many places to visit from Los Suenos, you will want a car if you feel comfortable driving there. There are 2 airports, Liberia and San Jose. If you are only going to Los Suenos, fly into San Jose. If you get in after dark, stay in a hotel by the airport (there is a nice Courtyard) to avoid driving at night in a place you are not familiar with. The concierge can arrange tours but a few hours on google and TripAdvisor and you will learn quickly where to go and if you have a car it’s easy to get around. Consider a cat cruise to Tortuga island, they leave daily from the marina. Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy, we love it there and will be back!

Reaction score
We have been to Los Suenos 2x and love it. In Feb we spent a week at the JW in Guanacaste then drove down to the MVC. October is in the rainy season but it should not ruin your vaca, many time it rains all night. Driving there is safe but slow going as it’s 1 lane each way. We have used Vamos the last 3 times we have been to Costa Rica with no complaints. There are many places to visit from Los Suenos, you will want a car if you feel comfortable driving there. There are 2 airports, Liberia and San Jose. If you are only going to Los Suenos, fly into San Jose. If you get in after dark, stay in a hotel by the airport (there is a nice Courtyard) to avoid driving at night in a place you are not familiar with. The concierge can arrange tours but a few hours on google and TripAdvisor and you will learn quickly where to go and if you have a car it’s easy to get around. Consider a cat cruise to Tortuga island, they leave daily from the marina. Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy, we love it there and will be back!
Thank you so much! Glad to hear you love it there. Is Vamos a car rental agency or a car service you used?

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vamos rents cars at Liberia and San Jose. They are generally a few years older with higher miles than the typical Avis, Hertz etc but safe and reliable and less expensive . The cost of the car for 2 weeks was $600 but….:and it’s a big but, insurance is expensive. We have always chosen to get full coverage and it doubles the cost. Some have been able to get a letter from their credit card company which allows them to buy the minimum coverage from the rental car company. We have elected to pay to get the full coverage….:if something happens, we hand them the keys and don’t have to worry. You will have to decide what you are comfortable with. https://vamosrentacar.com/

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don’t want to drive, this company gets good reviews from this group as well as FB MVC pages. It’s family owned etc. they can pick you up from the airport and take you on tours. https://pikotravel.com/

Maple Leaf

Reaction score
We're going there early May this year for 10 days. We arranged our flights to be there driving the daytime to avoid driving at night.

@craigc - we were looking at rental cars and Dollar, Vamos etc, were recommended. The prices seem set for any time period and don't seem to fluctuate so I'll book this week with Vamos. They still have cars available. I am taking full insurance. Did you get the GPS Phone/Plan for $5 per day? Not sure if that is a phone or a plan you use on your existing phone, but I'm weary using some plan on my phone without removing the SIM card. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Helllo,
We stayed at Los Suenos about 10 years ago and used piko travels mentioned in an above post for transportation to and from the hotel, and also for some great tours during the week….awesome zip lining and Tortuga island being our favorites. We didn’t rent a car, as the excursions provide transportation. They will also stop at a small grocery store on the way to the hotel so you can purchase supplies, which was nice.
Have a wonderful time!

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going there early May this year for 10 days. We arranged our flights to be there driving the daytime to avoid driving at night.

@craigc - we were looking at rental cars and Dollar, Vamos etc, were recommended. The prices seem set for any time period and don't seem to fluctuate so I'll book this week with Vamos. They still have cars available. I am taking full insurance. Did you get the GPS Phone/Plan for $5 per day? Not sure if that is a phone or a plan you use on your existing phone, but I'm weary using some plan on my phone without removing the SIM card. Your thoughts?

Thanks.
I did not bother with GPS etc. You can download the areas you will be visiting on Google Maps. If you download the map to your phone you are able to use Google Maps without being on line and then just use the MVC wifi when you are there. We had no issues using Google Maps to get around.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were so happy we decided not to rent a car once we got there. PikoTravel took care of our transportation to and from the airport and for our tours - very reasonable and efficient - Lindsay is available by text any time - and the hotel had the most wonderful shuttle. Just pick up the phone and say you’ll be in the lobby in 5 minutes - they had a large car that fit all 8 of us ready every time, usually for $20, sometimes $30.
For the Tortuga island tour we just walked to the marina. You can entertain yourselves at the fun pool with pool bar at the main pool, or enjoy the peaceful pool at the timeshare for a few days too, so I’d hate to be paying for a rental car on those days. And great restaurants within walking distance, a very pleasant walk.
Take the hotel car to Villa Calleta for an early dinner - it was the most spectacular view and place. You can’t miss it. Just 15 min away from Los Suenos. You wouldn’t want to make this drive yourself. The drive is spectacular also.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where does the "hotel shuttle" go exactly? Is it a list of specific places, or by distance, or just one place?

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wherever we told them to go. Jaco for dinner or for a surfing beach 4-5 times, Villa Calletta once. Round trip for all of these times.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great replies. I did find Piko on Trip Advisor and had already contacted them. I believe that's how we'll handle tours and transportation and leave the driving task to them! I want/need my hubby to relax! ;)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great replies. I did find Piko on Trip Advisor and had already contacted them. I believe that's how we'll handle tours and transportation and leave the driving task to them! I want/need my hubby to relax! ;)
Yeah, me too (a hubby). I'll let them drive. I also say thanks for all the help as I am accumulating the great tips here for our December trip there.

Maple Leaf

Reaction score
Did anyone go to the "Owner's information session/Education based Sales presentation" at Los Suenos recently? Do you know what they are offering as a "gift"?
Thanks.

curitiba_tapley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club
Marriott's Harbor Lake
Club Wyndham Access
Did anyone go to the "Owner's information session/Education based Sales presentation" at Los Suenos recently? Do you know what they are offering as a "gift"?
Thanks.
My family went to Los Suenos during the first month or two when it opened. We met with the Sales Person there - they were still setting up the Sales Showroom!! It was actually a lot of fun (yes, it really was). The guy we spoke with was pretty open and shared a bit more about setting up the resort, how units were sold in Costa Rica (deeded weeks vs. points). It was really educational getting a little bit of a different insight.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
Thanks.

I just got in invited to a meeting and the incentive was 400 club points, 35,000 Bonvoy points or $200 resort credit.

incantata

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Marbella Beach Resort
First time travelers to Costa Rica and after a year of trying I was able to book 7 nights on destination points for a October '23. Husband and I and possibly 23 yo daughter may join. No idea what the weather will be, but we're going for it. :)
I've read a few reviews and will continue to search but looking for any advice and experiences others have had at this property.
I have questions about travel, nearest airport to resort? We'll be flying from Raleigh NC, I don't think there are non-stops.
What about a rental car? Should we rent and drive from airport, will we need one to get around during the week? Some people have mentioned the resort can arrange for excursions ... any reviews on those?
TIA!
We went to Los Suenos for a week in February 2021. Fabulous resort. There is also a marina in walkable distance that has several small restaurants and a liquor store. We flew into San Jose and had a private taxi drive us to the resort as the driving is hazardous due to the very narrow roads and a lot of weekend traffic. Also, we had reserved a car before going but when we got there, they would not rent us a car as we are 70+. The transport we ultimately took turned out to be a blessing and cheaper than the car rental. The car rental places add on a huge 'obligatory' insurance premium whether you have vehicle insurance or not.

From Los Suenos we took an Interbus shuttle to Monteverde in the Cloud Forest where we spent 3 days (probably too wet in October). From there we went to the Royal Corin spa hotel in Arenal, another fabulous hotel with a warm mineral spring pool. We used Costaricashuttle.com to take us back to the airport in San Jose. Much better to be driven than to drive in CR unless you love adventure (and speak some Spanish)! For fabulous mineral springs and a lovely resort, if you can afford it, stay a couple of nights in Tabacón which is close to the Royal Corin, both in Arenal.

Aviator621

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for those who have been able to go to Los Suenos, was it by points only or has anyone used Interval to exchange in? I just put in an exchange request, and was curious on how likely it was to come through. Thanks

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mine was by points. I'm staying 4 nights then staying in a different resort for 5 near Manuel Antonio.

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for those who have been able to go to Los Suenos, was it by points only or has anyone used Interval to exchange in? I just put in an exchange request, and was curious on how likely it was to come through. Thanks
Points both times. 12 nights in '21 after it opened and 7 in Feb this year after 5 at the JW in Guanacaste. The more they sell, the tougher it will be to get in as it will require owners to trade out in order for us to get in. I do wish there were more than 24 units.

Aviator621

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points both times. 12 nights in '21 after it opened and 7 in Feb this year after 5 at the JW in Guanacaste. The more they sell, the tougher it will be to get in as it will require owners to trade out in order for us to get in. I do wish there were more than 24 units.
Thanks; I was hoping that since they were selling as weeks they would dump some into interval but sounds like the majority of availability goes straight to points.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This "deal" was in my room... Posting in case this will help someone who can stomach a sales presentation... Btw this is for a studio (2 adults and 2 children)
IMG_20230817_163407.jpg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I beleive there were some last minute inventory that showed up in II recently. Can't speak to stuff further out.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just came back from Costa Rica. Stayed 3 nights at Los Suenos (beautiful) and 5 nights near Manuel Antonio. I submitted a review of the resort. Feel free to ask questions.

For those looking for activity recommendations, we used a local tour guide, Geiner Murillo, who took us on unforgettable tours (day tour at Manuel Antonio, night tour for frogs and things that only come out at night, whale watching and deep see fishing, mangrove fishing tour and and baby turtle release tour.) He is based near Manuel Antonio but will come to Los Suenos. Info can be found here https://www.facebook.com/naturalezapuravida

Attachments

• IMG-20230822-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20230822-WA0023.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20230822-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20230822-WA0009.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20230821-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20230821-WA0012.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20230821-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230821-WA0005.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20230821-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20230821-WA0010.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20230821-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20230821-WA0008.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20230821-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20230821-WA0027.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20230821-WA0044.jpg
    IMG-20230821-WA0044.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20230823-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20230823-WA0008.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 8

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I beleive there were some last minute inventory that showed up in II recently. Can't speak to stuff further out.
We found a unit in II and were able to trade out of Maui for Costa Rica in Oct. Very happy with the trade.