• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Additional Staroption points

bpease

Reaction score
I currently own a 1br Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas with 81,000 points purchased through the developer. I am interested in purchasing additional StarOption points, either 67,100 or 81,000. I have read several posts and agree that resale is the cheapest choice, but I have some questions.
1. Which resorts are considered mandatory?
2. Does Starwood put into writing anywhere that a resale purchase of a mandatory resort gives you the StarOption points?
3. If I do receive the points by purchasing a non-Ka'anapli property, does that mean that I can only reserve a 2 bedroom in Maui (148,100 pts) 8 months in advance and not 1 yr?
Thank you,
Bryan

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 1br Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas with 81,000 points purchased through the developer. I am interested in purchasing additional StarOption points, either 67,100 or 81,000. I have read several posts and agree that resale is the cheapest choice, but I have some questions.
2. Does Starwood put into writing anywhere that a resale purchase of a mandatory resort gives you the StarOption points?
3. If I do receive the points by purchasing a non-Ka'anapli property, does that mean that I can only reserve a 2 bedroom in Maui (148,100 pts) 8 months in advance and not 1 yr?
Thank you,
Bryan
See the Sticky for #1,#2 as for #3 you cannot combine Staroptions unless it's a developer puchase or has been requalified as such.

bpease

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I am new to this sight, so what is a sticky?
Do you know if I purchased a Vistana Village from the developer would I be able to then combine the points?
Thanks again,
Bryan

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you,
Bryan

Be careful to call them what they are - StarOptions (SO) and StarPoints (SP) - as they are very different.

They put it in writing as part of the Owners Manual for the resort being purchased. The Mandatory resorts are listed in the sticky - go to the Hotel-based section on TUG - this is where SVO/SVN members hang out.

I am not sure what you are trying to do - get a 2Bd LO (for 148.1K SOs) by purchasing a non-WKORV Mandatory resort for exchanging into WKORV and others? We bought 81K at WKV (resale) for the purpose of exchanging into a 1Bd in Hawaii. (WKORV, WKORV-N, and WPORV)

If you were to by 67.1K or 81K SOs - not a WKORV - and exchange to match you WKORV 81K SVO purchase (either same or adjacent week) - you would be best served to reserving your WKORV weeks at 8-12 months out, and then either use your resale week at 8-months - or cancel your original week and combine at 8-months. HOWEVER - if you need to go during high season - then you will likely need to buy resale at WKORV.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Bryan - Welcome to TUG - most of the Starwood posts and owners are on the Hotel Based TS System Board on TUG. Please join us there for lots of info. about Starwood.

To answer your question, Developer Staroptions from different purchases are combinable - but cannot be combined with Staroptions purchased resale. However, since a developer week will cost so much more, I don't think it's a good value.

StarPOINTS are a completely different thing - they are Starwood hotel points.

StarOPTIONS are the trade value of your timeshare unit within the Starwood system.

This TUG Starwood Article will answer a lot of your questions.

You might want to consider buying another 1 bdm. RESALE at the WKORV. That would give you the equivalent of a 2 bdm. unit that could be reserved at 12 mos. out. The units would not be "joined" but the 2 bdm. lock-outs aren't really joined, either.

Another options would be to ask the developer if you can trade your 1 bdm. in on a 2 bdm.

Last edited:

bpease

Reaction score
Thanks for the information and I will switch over to the other board in the future. Let me state my objective and if you have any advice to help me obtain it, that would be much appreciated.
My vacation requirements have changed since I purchased 4yrs ago and I need to be able to utilize enough points to obtain a 2br at any of the SVN properties during busy seasons. I believe that 148,100 StarOption points should do this. The ability to convert to Starpoints or obtain elite status is not important to me.
What is the cheapest way to accomplish this?

Since I cannot combine my existing points with any resale points, is my best bet to purchase a resale from a mandatory resort that includes the 148,100 points then sell my original developer purchase?

Thank you,
Bryan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since I cannot combine my existing points with any resale points, is my best bet to purchase a resale from a mandatory resort that includes the 148,100 points then sell my original developer purchase?

It might be, but you will probably take a $5K-$10K loss on your developer week, so buying a 2nd one bdm. resale might be cheaper.

bpease

Reaction score
Denise,
If I buy an additional 1 bedroom for 81000 is there a situation that I can somehow combine the points for 1 reservation or do I just have a pair of individual 81,000 points?

bpease

Reaction score
Denise, Never mind I saw your recommendations on your earlier post. Thank you for all your help.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Denise, Never mind I saw your recommendations on your earlier post. Thank you for all your help.

1Bd resale at WKORV are going for ~18K - so I think the loss may be greater than what DeniseM satated.

You have some great options - I will respond on the other board if you posted there.

bpease

Reaction score
StarOptions = "Tired Head"

I currently own a developer purchased WKORV with 81000 StarOption points. My objective is to have 148,100 points to be able to exchange for any 2br in the SVN network during any season. What is the cheapest way to obtain the additional points and combine them?
Thank you for you help.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the information and I will switch over to the other board in the future. Let me state my objective and if you have any advice to help me obtain it, that would be much appreciated.
My vacation requirements have changed since I purchased 4yrs ago and I need to be able to utilize enough points to obtain a 2br at any of the SVN properties during busy seasons. I believe that 148,100 StarOption points should do this. The ability to convert to Starpoints or obtain elite status is not important to me.
What is the cheapest way to accomplish this?

Thank you,
Bryan

You have a few options. but it depends on what you want (and $ of course) - sounds as if you need Home Resort priviledges at WKORV

Do you want two 1Bd units (2x 81K SOs = 162K SOs), or a 2Bd (1bd+studio) LO (148.1K SOs) at WKORV?

You can find a 1Bd OV resale (81K SOs) at WKORV for ~$18K if you are patient.

You cannot buy a studio at WKORV (67.1K SOs) since they are not deeded as such.

You can also trade in your 1Bd WKORV and buy (from SVO) a 2Bd LO at WKORV-N - they will give you price you paid.

I do not know if SVO can (or would) do the same at WKORV. Perhaps, but they would have to have the inventory, and I don't think they would do it for you at WKORV since they are trying to sell WKORV-N and WPORV.

If you need a 2Bd LO at WKORV - you could sell yours for ~$18K and buy a 2Bd LO for ~$30K.

If you are okay with exchanging (at less than 8 months) - then you could buy 67.1K or 81K at WKV or VV - and use that to exchange (the least expensive way, but you lose Home priviledges).

You could even buy WSJ resale and find a WKORV owner to do a direct exchange (not inexpensive, and why would you unless you wanted WSJ, and then why would you...? but there are people interested in direct exchange into WSJ)

whew...

bpease

Reaction score
Whew, no kidding.
Thank you for the information.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I currently own a developer purchased WKORV with 81000 StarOption points. My objective is to have 148,100 points to be able to exchange for any 2br in the SVN network during any season. What is the cheapest way to obtain the additional points and combine them?
Thank you for you help.
Read what I just wrote to your other post. I think the Moderator may move these to the appropraite board.

Unless you somehow get an additional 67.1K SOs from SVO - you options are limited if you have a high bar for vacation flexibility since you cannot combine resale and SVO SOs.

This is a major consideration for you - if you are looking to exchange into other SVO resorts - and you buy resale, then why buy WKORV resale? It isn't the best use of resale SOs unless you need WKORV Home priviledges (as stated). Look at SVO SO chart - and check out what cominations work best for you (or buy from SVO...). Unfortunately - you cannot have it both ways - unless you want to attempt to get to 5* Elite (and that would involve buying from SVO anyway).

If you bought your 1st resale, and then your 2nd from SVO and requaled your 1st - then you could combine your SOs - since you did not (as most never did because they didn't find TUG in time) - then you cannot.

I recommend resale WKV - looking at these considerations - not as inexpensive as VV, but lower MFs - and a better place to own value-wise (for us that is...).

Or a 1bd at WKORV if you need Home priviledges and a reasonable exchange - or rental. We are not a fans of the studio premium at WKORV.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1Bd resale at WKORV are going for ~18K - so I think the loss may be greater than what DeniseM satated.

Hi Dave - Have you seen 1 Bdm. Ocean View units for $18K or just IV? I've been thinking we might buy another 1 bdm. OV and rent our Studio every year to cover MFs. We always go to Hawaii for 2 weeks, and that way we could have 2 consecutive weeks in a 1 bdm. instead of splitting the lockoff for 2 weeks.

Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi Dave - Have you seen 1 Bdm. Ocean View units for $18K or just IV? I've been thinking we might buy another 1 bdm. OV and rent our Studio every year to cover MFs. We always go to Hawaii for 2 weeks, and that way we could have 2 consecutive weeks in a 1 bdm. instead of splitting the lockoff for 2 weeks.

Thanks!

They are classified as OV eventhough there are some in B4. {check out my post earlier where I listed the unit types and valuations. [excerpt]
"1Bd OV (n=45 in B2/B3, and n=10 in B4) :: ~900sqft [Rel. Valuation per Unit = 43,873.44]"

I know 2 people who have paid around $18K resale for the 1Bd OV unit.

I totally agree with you in regards of having 2 weeks in a 1Bd and using the studio for MF offset (we may try and do this also) - as long as you are willing to spend the effort of course.

Be sure to check out the valuations - the additional studio for the LO side has cheap MFs associated with it (relatively) when compared to the 2Bd LO - one of the few pluses.

Also - as you know - if you are going during low season - consider 1Bd Plat at WKV (81K SOs) - since there will be plenty of SVN exchanges available at WKORV (or even WKORV-N) once WKORV-N opens, but of course with less priority for unit location requests at 8-months. The MFs at WKV are about half and you would save ~$6K in cost...

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
buying from svo

if you choose to purchase directly from starwood for whatever reason, make sure you get an explorer package first. it will give you about 90,000 extra starpoints plus the extra they give as an incentive for purchasing through them. the cost gets applied to your new purchase. this can be used to upgrade your original purchase. this is just a suggestion if you purchase through svo. you may as well get the most out of your purchase if you choose to go this route.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also - as you know - if you are going during low season - consider 1Bd Plat at WKV (81K SOs) - since there will be plenty of SVN exchanges available at WKORV (or even WKORV-N) once WKORV-N opens, but of course with less priority for unit location requests at 8-months. The MFs at WKV are about half and you would save ~$6K in cost...

$$$-wise it sounds great, but we go during high-season (I'm a teacher) and I'm picky about a good view, so resale at the WKORV is probably the way to go for us.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
$$$-wise it sounds great, but we go during high-season (I'm a teacher) and I'm picky about a good view, so resale at the WKORV is probably the way to go for us.

Yep - I figured that you needed WKORV. We are picky also - obviously - but we can go in low season. I hope to get good use of our 3rd TS (81K SOs at WKV) with a Hawaii exchange in 2008 and beyond - but Scottsdale/Giants Spring Training - with my folks close by - it will be hard not to use it there - maybe we will just have to get another WKV week. :D

First... WKV in a couple of weeks, then WSJ in June, then the WKORV Dlx OF studio in Sept (if we don't rent it - we may just go anyway) and then the 1Bd side in Dec. (whale watching from the lanai). :whoopie: ain't TSing great!

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
ts is great

sound like my life. wkr in january. i week in colorado in may, using points for atlanta in april. and puerto rico in may. orlando at vv in august and seona form a trade in october. i live out of my suitcase this year :whoopie:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Thanks!
Check out TUG classifieds - Syed of AV (who we and others have purchased from) has a 1Bd for $18K list.