• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Activities offered at resorts - do you even care?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We favor resorts with organized activities....what about you?

I think of Bingo poolside at the Marriotts in Aruba, walking tours Marriott in Boston and snow shoe hikes at Pollard Brook in NH. Honestly, some highlights to our trip!

I am now thinking of an upcoming trip that at the moment is reporting rain for the entire time. I'm happy with the resort we are staying at because it offers "walk-to" whatever we want to do during this busy weekend. But, I'm finding myself wishing I was at another nearby that offered silly things like slime making to keep the kiddo busy.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I can go either way depending on where and why we are traveling, but I cared more so when our son was young.

Of course the two resorts we own at have lots of activities, but we have done most of them and others we are not interested in, but it is nice to have the choice if we so desire. We more or less do our own things mostly now.

For rainy days we go to the movies or museums or shopping or sightseeing by car ride. Maybe a special meal out. If it is not raining too hard and is not too cold we will attempt to do an outdoor activity anyway.Then there is always indoor games- board/video, etc.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The only activities that ever catch our eye is free or low cost food/drink -- wine tasting, wine and cheese social, ice cream sundaes, s'mores etc. Worldmark Avenue Plaza is at the top of our list, had doughnuts and coffee one morning (and they were really good doughnuts) and a crayfish/sausage/corn boil one lunchtime.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like activities at the resort. Entertainment options are never a bad thing. I especially enjoy meeting other people at the resort and have made a lot of week long friends.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have rarely ever gone. But I like knowing that they are there just in case I'm trying to kill some time.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We don’t really care about activities. I think the idea of them is nice but we rarely participate.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
We have done water volleyball, water aerobics & stretches, ceramics, cooking classes, and movie night to name a few. They really help fill in the days when you just want to chill at the resort.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
When the kids were young we participated in lots of resort activities. We often planned our week with resort activities in mind. Now that they're grown and rarely tag along, activities aren't as important... we often go the whole week without even reading the activity sheet.

I do like having a tiki/pool bar onsite though... that's usually where we meet and get to know other timeshare owners/exchangers.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our resorts in Mexico are fantastic regarding activities for adults. These activities start late morning and end at 10 pm. most days. These include paddle boards , kayaks, volly ball, water polo, tennis, pickle ball, poker, water aerobics, tequilla tastings, wine tastings, themed evening events and many other activities.

My wife went on a resort restaurant tour where they went to all of the resort restaurants , maybe nine, and met the chefs and other staff.

The spa and massages are kind of nice. The fitness center has a pro instructor to help with equipment and work outs.

Yup, I'm heading that way soon.

Our USA resorts try to have activities but no one participates, including us, because they are lame activities compared to Mexico. It must be labor costs are so low in Mexico that the resort can have many things going on.

Bill

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We looked for the followings: onsite fitness center, golf, tennis, swimming pools, bike & walking trails..

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
It was very important with kids. We bought dvc because of the community hall and activities. Our last time for activities was We stayed at pollard brook. But this summer with older teens we did none at smugglers notch except farmers market, but had lots of diy day trips.
As retirees i can see us doing more day trips and wine/cheese mixers.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
We favor resorts with organized activities....what about you?

I think of Bingo poolside at the Marriotts in Aruba, walking tours Marriott in Boston and snow shoe hikes at Pollard Brook in NH. Honestly, some highlights to our trip!

I am now thinking of an upcoming trip that at the moment is reporting rain for the entire time. I'm happy with the resort we are staying at because it offers "walk-to" whatever we want to do during this busy weekend. But, I'm finding myself wishing I was at another nearby that offered silly things like slime making to keep the kiddo busy.

We aren’t interested in resort activities. The only one I can ever remember attending is a fish fry at one of the lakes in Fairfield Glade and that was only because there aren’t many good restaurants near that resort so we opted for the quick and easy meal. If our daughter is with us, she is a foodie and researches all the places she wants to try. Other than that, we’re more interested in what the area has to offer than activities at the resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never made a choice based on activities, but sometimes pleasantly surprised by attending something. (Like the time we won a bottle of champagne at Welk resort in Palm Springs.)

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We very rarely take part in any activities when visiting resorts. Our home resort has a welcome breakfast and an ice cream social which we do attend because it gives us a chance to talk to other owners that we have come to know over the nearly 40 years of ownership and sometimes guests who are new to the area. We are usually staying at a particular timeshare to enjoy and explore the area, not go to the resort activities. That is why we hate, and often refuse to stay at, resorts with any type of activity fee. I would rather wear some sort of wristband to show I am not allowed to use the games room, mini-putt or take part in activities than pay a weekly fee. Often we don't even use the pool since our children are grown and don't usually travel with us. I don't mind paying a small ($10-20.) weekly wi-fi fee to be able to access the internet in our unit but that isn't a necessity.

~Diane

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dumb question: Sounds liked Resorts amenities are not all that important to most owners or exchangers.
So why are some timeshare resorts now just started to charge for resorts amenities that are not used by the average owners or TS exchangers ?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a few we will attend, but none we will change plans to participate in. If they are having an ice cream social, we're there, but if it means missing a nearby happy hour, maybe next time. At a favorite Mexican TS, they do bingo in Spanish, so we get in a little light hearted language practice. You'll never find us on the fitness center, and we don't golf. Kid's events are avoided.

Jim

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Some resorts are better than others. We like the food events. Lagunamar is great for that. Mexican Fiesta buffet, Mayan night, steak night, fire up the fun (chef teaches you how to grill specialties), and poolside games to win a bottle of tequila.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We tend to use the activities if they are free or low cost. We travel with 2 almost 16 yr olds and a 13 yr old. They still are in touch with friends they made at Smuggs over the last couple of summers...the teen center there is amazing!

At Cold Spring, we do a lot of the van trips, especially in the summer. It's nice to not have to drive, and we get to chat with other owners/exchangers. I can see myself doing those even when the kids aren't around. My husband tends to stay in the unit, and I like to get out and do things. It's much more fun to travel in a group!

It's not a deal breaker if a resort doesn't offer activities, though. The unit condition and resort location are still our drivers for choosing a spot to stay.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
We enjoy onsite activities.

Still missing the old Warner Springs Ranch with free horseback riding as an onsite activity. :(

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Wife and I like to vendor outside the Ts resorts and their organized activities. We get the scene of local restaurants, activities, and customs.

Granted, on one occasion, we had to get ourselves out of dangerous situations.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Wife and I like to vendor outside the Ts resorts and their organized activities. We get the scene of local restaurants, activities, and customs.

Granted, on one occasion, we had to get ourselves out of dangerous situations.

Sounds interesting! Do you care to expound on that one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk